Time to stop! - Page 2

Time to stop!

This is a discussion on Time to stop! within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; Did you bed the pads properly first? Those are good brands. I am running R1 Concepts rotors and posi quite ceramic brake pads. Unless you're ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Time to stop!

Member #
    Liked
    1190 times
    Did you bed the pads properly first? Those are good brands.

I am running R1 Concepts rotors and posi quite ceramic brake pads.

Unless you're riding the brakes down hill towing a load, i dont know how you're going through so much brake material lol.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WooBoost View Post
    Did you bed the pads properly first? Those are good brands.

I am running R1 Concepts rotors and posi quite ceramic brake pads.

Unless you're riding the brakes down hill towing a load, i dont know how you're going through so much brake material lol.
    Proper bedding occurred yes.
    I'm not eating the material. Lots if pad left.

As stated in the original post.
    It happens after a Jeeping trip.
    Pretty much every time I tow my Jeep I get warped rotors. I do not ride the brakes either. The trailer and Jeep are probably close to 10k though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3057 times
    I have the opposite problem.

If I'm running around town or just commuting, thus NOT getting the brakes hot, I can eventually get some pad transfer that will feel a little like warping or light shimmy.

I can "fix" it easy enough by braking very aggressively for a day. But the BEST my brakes ever feel is after I have been towing the RV for a while. And after unhitching, the truck Brembos perform and feel exactly like the day I first got them.

Brembo said they have an alternate pad that I might try, but they recommend highly to stick with the compound I have and quit driving like a grandpa. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    I'm a little surprised that you're getting rotor warp that easily. I've had mine hot enough to have smoke rolling out of all 4 wheels... still on OEM rotors and pads... no warp/shimmy/etc.

Member #
    Liked
    1190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    I'm a little surprised that you're getting rotor warp that easily. I've had mine hot enough to have smoke rolling out of all 4 wheels... still on OEM rotors and pads... no warp/shimmy/etc.

Ya when i bed mine, the rotors are smoking.

Stop tech says you cannot get a warped rotor, only pad issues. Shrug. ALl i know is the ceramic based pad creates almost no brake dust. That's what I like.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3057 times

Stop tech says you cannot get a warped rotor, only pad issues. Shrug. ALl i know is the ceramic based pad creates almost no brake dust. That's what I like.
    There is a pretty good argument that "technically" rotors don't warp.

But it doesn't really matter. What we all refer to as a warped rotor IS a rotor that no longer performs the way it's supposed to. Therefore an issue does indeed exist. But it would be pretty rare for the rotor to warp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    206 times

Oh, this isn't bedding... this is standard use (for reasonably large definitions of "standard"). They've been that hot more than once, and I'm really surprised how well the factory setup works. It's no Wilwood/etc., but it's not bad.

When I have to swap them, I'll most likely do the Z36 kit. BBKs just aren't in the budget.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Should the trailer brakes engage before truck brakes get used that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by surf_ox View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think that's how the brake controller works in these trucks. They are variable as well so the harder you push the peddle the more it applies the trailers brakes.

I have mine set pretty aggressive do the trailer absolutely is doing is share siding the stop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by surf_ox View Post
    Technically no... you want all the brakes to engage simultaneously and bleed the energy off each axle at an equivalent rate. If you apply the trailer brakes first, the trailer starts "pulling" the truck to a stop, resulting in some bucking.

It seems Ford did a fair amount of work on the braking algorithms behind the TBC, because they sure seem to provide a far smoother experience than any third-party I've ever used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links