Time to stop! - Page 3

Time to stop!

This is a discussion on Time to stop! within the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost forums, part of the 2nd Gen F150 Ecoboost Forum (2015+) category; Originally Posted by tvsjr Technically no... you want all the brakes to engage simultaneously and bleed the energy off each axle at an equivalent rate. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Time to stop!

Member #
    Liked
    444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    Technically no... you want all the brakes to engage simultaneously and bleed the energy off each axle at an equivalent rate. If you apply the trailer brakes first, the trailer starts "pulling" the truck to a stop, resulting in some bucking.

It seems Ford did a fair amount of work on the braking algorithms behind the TBC, because they sure seem to provide a far smoother experience than any third-party I've ever used.
    I have not had to tow a trailer with brakes. But dammit the integrated brake controllers looks good lol
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I have the opposite problem.

If I'm running around town or just commuting, thus NOT getting the brakes hot, I can eventually get some pad transfer that will feel a little like warping or light shimmy.

I can "fix" it easy enough by braking very aggressively for a day. But the BEST my brakes ever feel is after I have been towing the RV for a while. And after unhitching, the truck Brembos perform and feel exactly like the day I first got them.

Brembo said they have an alternate pad that I might try, but they recommend highly to stick with the compound I have and quit driving like a grandpa. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Holy cow, you may have just helped me figure out my brake shimmy problem that has been driving me crazy. I don't tow and do mostly short trippin'. Gotta be just pad transfer. Time for some controlled emergency stops sounds like.
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Holy cow, you may have just helped me figure out my brake shimmy problem that has been driving me crazy. I don't tow and do mostly short trippin'. Gotta be just pad transfer. Time for some controlled emergency stops sounds like.
    Power Stop's break-in regimen works pretty well to deal with pad transfer too:
    https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

Just be careful, don't come to a complete stop. If you absolutely have to, put the truck in park and get off the brakes. But you're better off picking a spot that's open enough where you can keep driving...
    snakebitten, B52U and Willshire like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    @tvsjr is right on. His post above would be exactly how you could confirm if you have pad transfer causing your brakes to "shimmy".

Especially under light braking?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    At 60k, I started getting a vibration during braking every time. At first I thought it was a pad transfer and did a few hard stops to clean the rotors. Well, my dashboard almost rattled loose. Came home and pulled a wheel and ran a dial indicator and sure enough, at least the drivers side had tons run out. I dont remember exactly how much, but it was definitely warped. New rotors for the front and powerstop Z36 pads all around. The rear rotors where still true. I'm at 90K now and it still stops great. I only towed few times in the past and mostly under 8K. I'm never hard on the brakes. Ask my wife, she is always telling me to speed up and stop leaving so much of a gap. Not sure what caused it, but I found it odd that rotors would warp warp with lite use by 60k. Point is, warped rotors do exist. It's not always pad transfer. And my rotors warped with only lite use.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    zukgod1 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links