F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I put a cap on the truck and turned it into an SUV - i.e. no plans to take it off. When it rain in the truck bed, there is a big gap between the bed and tailgate so that water can drain out. When I put the Cap on, it was a big enough gap to soak the rear of the bed.... which I don't want.

so My solution was a simple 7/8" think rubber bulb seal" from autozone cut to fit. I left corners open as a trial, if too much water comes in, I will seal them too.

Reactions: Teamfour
I went to my ford dealership and got a tailgate gasket. Did not make any difference on opening or closing. Weird that the LUND one would make it difficult.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Didn't notice a difference at all. I didn't even know ford made a gasket, guess they knew they screwed up with the gap but could make a profit for the fix. :)

I literally had to slam the tailgate shut. And when I went to open the tailgate, I would have to yank on the handle and it would just shoot open. Too much pressure on that seal

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

I literally had to slam the tailgate shut. And when I went to open the tailgate, I would have to yank on the handle and it would just shoot open. Too much pressure on that seal Sent from mobile using tapatalk
Ya that's crazy. It must have been thick. Good to know.

I bought one with my Fold A Cover. It's long enough that I routed it up both sides of the tailgate frame, not hard to close at all and virtually lets no water in.

I bought one with my Fold A Cover. It's long enough that I routed it up both sides of the tailgate frame, not hard to close at all and virtually lets no water in.
What brand?

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

Fold A Cover is the name of the bedcover, the original folding hard tonneau cover. The seal is optional. Or you can buy it by itself.

Lots of companies make a tailgate seal. Most of the truck bed cover companies have them.

I personally bought this one:
Extang Inc, Online Store - MaxSeal Tailgate Seal - Product Details

Long enough to go from rail cap to rail cap. Cut it at each lower corner. Since I had the Bedrug I didn't need to run it across the bottom, so I took that spare length and further sealed up the gap where the cover meets the bulkhead behind the cab.

Truxedo has theirs:
Additional Products ? TruXseal ? Universal Tailgate Seal, Pro-Tex ? soft tonneau protectant spray, TruXedo Stake Pocket Covers

Access has one too:
Pickup Truck Bed Tailgate Seal, Seals & Gasket | Access Trailseal

Second truck now with the tailgate seal. Doesn't make the gate any more difficult to close, but it does securely close now and doesn't want to rattle near as much. Also keeps road grime/dust/water down and outta the bed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.