The kill thread - Page 30

The kill thread

This is a discussion on The kill thread within the F150 Ecoboost Racing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Garage category; I don't think I get prompted to race very often. I suspect that is because a White King Ranch and an old man with a ...

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: The kill thread

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3228 times
    I don't think I get prompted to race very often. I suspect that is because a White King Ranch and an old man with a cowboy hat on just doesn't present well as a potential candidate? Of course it could be that I just don't recognize the hint. Lol

But a couple of days ago on the Toll Road that circumnavigates H-town, I was cruising along at about 70mph when I noticed a Raptor coming up FAST from behind and in the "passing lane".

I moved over because I'm old school about such things. I have no reason to impede someone else.

Note: I love Raptors because first, they ARE F150's, but I really enjoy the fact that Ford has succeeded hugely in creating a mystique about them and as a result they are respected by truck guys of every brand.

Anyways, instead of it blowing by me, as expected due to momentum, it immediately slowed down to 70 and hovered directly beside me. Even I knew what that probably represented.

I looked over but couldn't see clearly through his dark tinted windows. I smiled though and gave a thumbs up. His immediate response was to goose it and I didn't comply with the prompt. He tried once more and I still didn't take the bait.

In assumed frustration, he waited another 30 seconds or so and then laid into and moved aggressively on.

What I left out of describing all this is how embarrassed I was for Ford! That Raptor was the most disgusting sounding vehicle I think I ever heard. It was SO loud for me to hear it in my truck. Believe me, my truck is quiet. And it wasn't exactly the volume that I am insulting because if it sounded good and it matched the visual of the vehicle, being loud is awesome to me. But it was horrible. I don't know how to describe it. "Embarrassing" is really the right word. I would be begging to be let out of it if I was an unsuspecting passenger. Lol

Loudest fart sound I have ever experienced in real life.

By the way, considering how it sounded and the ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE WORLD that it's a performance vehicle, visually it just didn't look like it was making ground to match the noise. Did I mention embarrassing?

I shoulda smoked him. I have regrets now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I don't think I get prompted to race very often. I suspect that is because a White King Ranch and an old man with a cowboy hat on just doesn't present well as a potential candidate? Of course it could be that I just don't recognize the hint. Lol

But a couple of days ago on the Toll Road that circumnavigates H-town, I was cruising along at about 70mph when I noticed a Raptor coming up FAST from behind and in the "passing lane".

I moved over because I'm old school about such things. I have no reason to impede someone else.

Note: I love Raptors because first, they ARE F150's, but I really enjoy the fact that Ford has succeeded hugely in creating a mystique about them and as a result they are respected by truck guys of every brand.

Anyways, instead of it blowing by me, as expected due to momentum, it immediately slowed down to 70 and hovered directly beside me. Even I knew what that probably represented.

I looked over but couldn't see clearly through his dark tinted windows. I smiled though and gave a thumbs up. His immediate response was to goose it and I didn't comply with the prompt. He tried once more and I still didn't take the bait.

In assumed frustration, he waited another 30 seconds or so and then laid into and moved aggressively on.

What I left out of describing all this is how embarrassed I was for Ford! That Raptor was the most disgusting sounding vehicle I think I ever heard. It was SO loud for me to hear it in my truck. Believe me, my truck is quiet. And it wasn't exactly the volume that I am insulting because if it sounded good and it matched the visual of the vehicle, being loud is awesome to me. But it was horrible. I don't know how to describe it. "Embarrassing" is really the right word. I would be begging to be let out of it if I was an unsuspecting passenger. Lol

Loudest fart sound I have ever experienced in real life.

By the way, considering how it sounded and the ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE WORLD that it's a performance vehicle, visually it just didn't look like it was making ground to match the noise. Did I mention embarrassing?

I shoulda smoked him. I have regrets now.

I am with ya 100% on this. Raptors sound terrible at WOT. Most all F150 ecoboosts with exhaust sound like ****. This is the reason I have stock exhaust to this day. The only ecoboost Ive personally heard that sounded good was at SEMA out front doing brodies with the Stangs. I figure one day somebody will figure it out...

Member #
    Liked
    1815 times
    I wouldn't know....as the only thing the new Raptor sees is my tail lights and the sound of spinning tires while in 2wd from a dig-lol (not when tires don't last 15k)
    I like the way my truck sounds with the 3" SPD Catted Downpipe; 3" Turbo adapters, and 1st Gen 3" OEM twin exhaust.
    I had an 04` Titan with a 3" catback and JBA Headers....yes it sounded great, but when towing>NOT SO MUCH-lol
    I'm with ya though....Ford could have beefed up the 3.5 Raptor exhaust tone.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    In my opinion, I love how the raptors sound and the ecoboosts with a borla or a corsa exhaust. I do like the sound a lot. I have the flowmaster outlaw exhaust and it is not bad either. Just a little drone on the highway.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3228 times
    The Raptor I encountered was NOT a stock exhaust. It was amazingly loud. Which as I stated, would be fine if it didn't sound like a loud fart in a megaphone. Lol

A GTR is a V6 that can be loud, but actually sound pretty fierce. So I'm guessing there are some aftermarket Ecoboosts that I wouldn't really object to even if it's not for me.

No, this was destroying the Raptor brand all by itself.

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3617 times
    The only 2.7 I've heard that doesn't sound like doggie doodoo is one that has catless downpipes sans Y pipe, with 3" duals from each downpipe to a dynomax 2 in 2 out muffler with a built in X pipe. Obviously it's a custom job,but it's true duals Raptor style and it's definitely okayish.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    The only 2.7 I've heard that doesn't sound like doggie doodoo is one that has catless downpipes sans Y pipe, with 3" duals from each downpipe to a dynomax 2 in 2 out muffler with a built in X pipe. Obviously it's a custom job,but it's true duals Raptor style and it's definitely okayish.

X-pipe built into the muffler? Or Mustang style?

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3617 times
    The dynomax race muffler he chose has an internal x pipe.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Sponsored Links