Post your Expedition Ecoboost Towing Pics!

This is a discussion on Post your Expedition Ecoboost Towing Pics! within the Ford Expedition Ecoboost forums, part of the Ford Ecoboost Forums category; We know this new Ecoboost Expedition is going to be a towing beast. Post your Ecoboosted Expedition Photos here....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Post your Expedition Ecoboost Towing Pics!

Member #
    Liked
    235 times

We know this new Ecoboost Expedition is going to be a towing beast. Post your Ecoboosted Expedition Photos here.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

First towing "expedition"

Our family of 6 rented a Salem 31ft trailer that has a 7100 dry weight and drove it on a 1500 mile, 10-day trip. Our 2015 Expedition EL Limited pulled it just fine. The power situation was much better than the 2001 F250 7.3 diesel it replaced. I felt the diesel was constantly struggling to pull this trailer whereas the Expedition seemed to have oodles of extra power and rarely had to downshift. Although we did not do any mountain driving I am sure it would handle that just fine. The builtin trans temp gauge never really budged from around 200 degrees. My F250 had a 178" wheelbase (vs 131 for Expedition EL) and 19.5" heavy duty tires so comparatively the Expedition feels less stable but it never felt unsafe. Of course I had a WD hitch and the Reese anti-sway control device. The family is way happier riding in the Expedition vs the F250 and that makes a big difference on long trips. All in all I am very happy with the Expedition as a tow vehicle but as I consider purchasing a trailer I will likely try to keep the length under 30' and GVWR < 8000 lbs so I have plenty of safety margin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Carlos likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Quote Originally Posted by txcraig_cypress View Post
    Our family of 6 rented a Salem 31ft trailer that has a 7100 dry weight and drove it on a 1500 mile, 10-day trip. Our 2015 Expedition EL Limited pulled it just fine. The power situation was much better than the 2001 F250 7.3 diesel it replaced. I felt the diesel was constantly struggling to pull this trailer whereas the Expedition seemed to have oodles of extra power and rarely had to downshift. Although we did not do any mountain driving I am sure it would handle that just fine. The builtin trans temp gauge never really budged from around 200 degrees. My F250 had a 178" wheelbase (vs 131 for Expedition EL) and 19.5" heavy duty tires so comparatively the Expedition feels less stable but it never felt unsafe. Of course I had a WD hitch and the Reese anti-sway control device. The family is way happier riding in the Expedition vs the F250 and that makes a big difference on long trips. All in all I am very happy with the Expedition as a tow vehicle but as I consider purchasing a trailer I will likely try to keep the length under 30' and GVWR < 8000 lbs so I have plenty of safety margin.
    Do you have the rear air suspension, and if so, did it help a lot with the towing?
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE Intercooler, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100(.8" level), AirLift RideControl bags, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes I got the rear load leveling option. While it did still feel a bit squirrelly at the front end I think without the load leveling option it would have been much worse. The load leveling in my case did not cause the Expedition to sit completely level with the trailer I towed but it comes pretty close. My feeling is that without the load-leveling option I would not have been able to safely tow the trailer.

According to Wikipedia it is not the previous "adaptive pneumatic air-ride load-leveling suspension" but rather the new-for-2014 mechanical Nivomat system.

Name:  sticker.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  139.0 KB

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    my only complaint so far with mine.. mine feels somewhat squirrelly as well..
    2018 F150 XLT Sport | 4x4 SCrew | 2.7L EB 3.73 EL | Race Red | Max Tow | 302a | LED Headlights & Fogs | 5% Tint

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My 2015 Platinum towing our Wildwood bunkhouse. These things tow great. I also have a 2014 Suburban and I much prefer the Expedition while towing the trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    LIEco likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2475 times
    Getting work done in the kid hauler:

Name:  IMG_5411.JPG
Views: 4457
Size:  1.97 MB
    LIEco likes this.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Member #
    Liked
    1126 times
    Huh, I am really liking the expedition. I'm really impressed they can tow that well.
    2014 SCREW Green Gem XLT Plus
    3.55 E-lock - OE HID -
    Heated Adobe Leather - OffRoad Package - AutoSpring 2.5/1 Kit
    DiabloSport 91 Oct Tune - Stubby - Morimoto LED Fogs - LED Backup Lights - ATP CAC
    Enkei M5 20x8.5 30mm - Michelin Defender LTX MS2 275/65R20

Member #
    Liked
    2475 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Huh, I am really liking the expedition. I'm really impressed they can tow that well.
    Same 3.5 engine as the F150. The vehicle weighs within a few hundred pounds of the F150 screw so it's got the mass to not get pushed around by a decent load out back. Suspension is up to par and it's got a pretty solid tow rating for a vehicle that can handle "mini-van-like" people moving duties. They even come with the electric trailer brake controller, just like the F150. Ford did a good job with the Expy, though the rather dismal production numbers don't prove that.
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    Same 3.5 engine as the F150. The vehicle weighs within a few hundred pounds of the F150 screw so it's got the mass to not get pushed around by a decent load out back. Suspension is up to par and it's got a pretty solid tow rating for a vehicle that can handle "mini-van-like" people moving duties. They even come with the electric trailer brake controller, just like the F150. Ford did a good job with the Expy, though the rather dismal production numbers don't prove that.
    It's a very capable truck and I really think poor sales has a lot to do with lack of upgrades over the past 10 years, although the independent rear was way ahead of the times. Last week our group rented an Ecoboost XLT with leather and thought that there wasn't really too much different than our 2003 - 12 years later. Nicer dash, quieter and there were some interior upgrades but Ford charges more than double for essentially the same truck. We love our Expedition, has been trouble free and done it all for us. Last year, we did upgrade our tow vehicle to an Ecoboost 2014 CC F150 - might have waited, but not sure if I would have paid a the huge premium over the pickup. Well here is ours waiting to get on the ferry.
    Last edited by LIEco; 04-20-2016 at 06:06 AM.
    2014 F150 Lariat Ecoboost CC Max Tow Blue Jeans 4x4 Offroad
    Bak Roll-x, Ford Sportliner by Bedrug, Hellwig rear sway bar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links