Fuel Mileage Eco boost F150

This is a discussion on Fuel Mileage Eco boost F150 within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I have a 2011 F150 and have now 8000 miles. I have a question as to the temperature having a bearing on MPG. The reason ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member #

I have a 2011 F150 and have now 8000 miles. I have a question as to the temperature having a bearing on MPG. The reason for the question is that I just made a trip to Florida (round trip just over 1500 miles) I was using Shell 87 oct. I was headed north I- 75. the outside temp. was 80, I was getting 21 mpg @ 75mph using cruise, the further north I came the lower the temp. the MPG stayed the same until the temp. started to drop. then the MPG started to drop at around 60 degrees, went down to 19mpg as temp droped to around 50. Driving conditions were not changed ( no head or tail wind or speed changed, no Ac on or off changed). Just wondered if anyone has noticed any thing of this nature. I get quite a bit better MPG using Shell 87 oct than other brands especially Murphy(walmart.)

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Temperature definately affects mileage! Oils and greases that lubricate wheel bearings, u joints and axles will cause more parasitic drag which eats more fuel. Also, the further north you got the more mountainous the terrain and even with coasting downhill, the uphill sections will use more as well.

I bought mine end of September so haven't had a lot of post break in warm weather miles BUT... I have noticed a drop in daily average when the weather is coldest. Went from 15-16 to 14-15. I attribute that to more idling for morning warm up along with cold lubricants!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tritle View Post
    Temperature definately affects mileage! Oils and greases that lubricate wheel bearings, u joints and axles will cause more parasitic drag which eats more fuel. Also, the further north you got the more mountainous the terrain and even with coasting downhill, the uphill sections will use more as well.

I bought mine end of September so haven't had a lot of post break in warm weather miles BUT... I have noticed a drop in daily average when the weather is coldest. Went from 15-16 to 14-15. I attribute that to more idling for morning warm up along with cold lubricants!
    Thank's for the reply. I have noticed also that when temperature is below 30, on short trips the mpg sucks. I haven't experminted with higer octane fuels but the owners manual does say that it may be benifical to use higher octane fuels in hot weather conditions. seems that it would be better in cold weather since it burns hotter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Premium burns slower, not hotter. Won't do anything for you except lighten your wallet. Engine has a richer tune until it warms completely. That's why your short trip mileage is lower. You can see that in the mileage by minute bar graph in the fuel economy window.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tritle View Post
    Premium burns slower, not hotter. Won't do anything for you except lighten your wallet. Engine has a richer tune until it warms completely. That's why your short trip mileage is lower. You can see that in the mileage by minute bar graph in the fuel economy window.
    +1 premium fuel will not help.Around here regular grade 87 octane is the same know matter who you buy it from.

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Colder temps will always affect your MPGs. Here is reached pass -60f in the winter and I loss about 3-4mpg (even when the truck has warmed up which takes longer and more miles down the road). The cold affects all the lub, oils, and even your tires.
    Also most fuel companies will mix more additives to help the fuel from be affected by the cold (Doesn't help the quality of the fuel or your engine ability to effectively burn it up). Cheap fuel will often equal cheap quality from what I have seen.
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #

Question Mileage boost

Quote Originally Posted by Elbysha View Post
    Thank's for the reply. I have noticed also that when temperature is below 30, on short trips the mpg sucks. I haven't experminted with higer octane fuels but the owners manual does say that it may be benifical to use higher octane fuels in hot weather conditions. seems that it would be better in cold weather since it burns hotter.
    Has anybody used Xtreme Fuel Treatment in their Eco boost?

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    I don't know if I would put anything in the fuel in these trucks. As for Xtreme, I did a little reasearch and (YIKES) found this: Does Xtreme Fuel Treatment really work to increase MPG in cars

Now, the information in the link is one man's opinion but I've done testing on some stuff like this and have never found mpg or time on the track with anything but good synthetic oil and common sense driving technique.

Member #
    I would encourage anyone to take the 6 tank challenge. https://www.syntekoffice.com/new/syn...1&menu=product
    Full disclosure, I am a distributor. I have seen an improvement in both of my vehicle, and have seen the benefits in others vehicles as well. There is a 30 day money-back guarantee, so there is no downside and plenty of upside.
    There really is NO other product like this on the market anywhere. We have a mining company that uses over 12,000,000 gallons of fuel per month that has a happy customer for 15 years+.

Member #
    I just spoke with someone offline that went from 21 to 25-26 @ 75 mph down the highway using XFT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links