Strange noise on 2011 Ecoboost F150

This is a discussion on Strange noise on 2011 Ecoboost F150 within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Wondering if anyone out there has had similar things happen. Purchased a 2011 Ecoboost F150 as Ex Demo a couple months back with only 1200kms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member #

Wondering if anyone out there has had similar things happen. Purchased a 2011 Ecoboost F150 as Ex Demo a couple months back with only 1200kms on, this is my first ever F150 , I never heard noise when I test drove the truck but ever since more so in the wet weather or cold, each time I ease of the gas pedal it makes a noise best described as "ugghh", this is not the waste gate noise of air that you hear on them on accelaration either. The sound has also increased in length not just a short noise.The Ford dealer had the truck in to do some tests on it after contacting Ford engineers but this did not help and they are kind of at a loss, I need the truck through winter due to experience in a very bad accident so the truck wont go back in till Spring, however the noise is annoying and is only when i ease off gas. The truck only has 5000kms on it now and runs fine other than this. Any thoughts

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    From what I hear, this is normal with all Ecoboost F150s. Mine does it, too, and when I talked to my salesman and others at the dealer I purchased ours from, they said it was a normal noise. The noise I am referring to is like an extra whoosh of air coming from the ventilation system. It seems to do it when you let off the gas pedal and is most noticeable at low speeds. Probably something to do with the turbos. Not too concerned, myself, because it has 3 years of warranty, and if no damage is done by then, I believe it will not be a problem.

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by holly1810 View Post
    Wondering if anyone out there has had similar things happen. Purchased a 2011 Ecoboost F150 as Ex Demo a couple months back with only 1200kms on, this is my first ever F150 , I never heard noise when I test drove the truck but ever since more so in the wet weather or cold, each time I ease of the gas pedal it makes a noise best described as "ugghh", this is not the waste gate noise of air that you hear on them on accelaration either. The sound has also increased in length not just a short noise.The Ford dealer had the truck in to do some tests on it after contacting Ford engineers but this did not help and they are kind of at a loss, I need the truck through winter due to experience in a very bad accident so the truck wont go back in till Spring, however the noise is annoying and is only when i ease off gas. The truck only has 5000kms on it now and runs fine other than this. Any thoughts
    Holly,

Is your vehicle 4wd?

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Ecoboost Jr Member randomwalker's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    If I understand your description correctly, mine does that "uggh" sound too...every time I ease off the gas and it shifts gears. I, too, have a 2011 F-150, with about 25K miles on it. I've been wondering whether to mention it at the next service.

Member #
    Sounds like you have the similar noise . It definitely is not the normal waste hate whoosh noise that is normal we can hear that it is more of a ugh sound which with mine seems to get worse on wet and cold and I find between 70-90 kmph when coming of gas. No idea where it's coming from the ford dealers are baffled as its not the normal whoosh noise totally different part of vehicle making that noise. If I find out what it is when it goes back in ill post to you won't be till spring as I want the truck through winter, if you'd do likewise that would be great. Thanks for posting

Member #
    Hi yes it's a 2011 f150 xlt 4x4

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    It is the Blow Off Valve or recirculation valve. It releases pressure from the turbo charge piping when the throttle body closes and releases it into the intake piping in front of the turbos.

this is my toy you can hear it as a more pronounced "whoosh" because it is open to the atmosphere and a whole lot more air escaping.

Last edited by jared; 01-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Member #
    Hey Jared. Thanks for the video, however it isnt an air sound as I know they make that sound with the waste gates. It gets louder at times, and is when im sat at certain point 70-80kmph sounds like something on gas pedal, and then with the uuugh sound when coming off gas, worse in cold and wet, but defo not the air noise

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Holly- Did you ever figure out what was making the noise on the truck?
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-KingBoost View Post
    Holly- Did you ever figure out what was making the noise on the truck?
    Hi I'm having this same issue. It also started after a bad front end accident. It sounds like the noise you would make if you were to warm your hands up by blowing into them "ughhh" I notice some times it goes away like something is sticking some times and letting out air before it hits the turbo to create power. I notice that when I hear it I don't have as much acceleration unlike when I hear the normal whistle of the turbo I have alittle more pickup than when I hear the "ugh" sound. Does anyone know what's causing this noise?

thanks
    justin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links