F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
This problem usually doesn't surface because I rarely get on it hard unless I'm on an on-ramp to the highway and in a rush.
Recently this happened twice in the same week and since I'm at 33K and close to the end of warranty I took it in.
Tech couldn't duplicate the problem but because I waited they suggested the tech go with me for a ride.
Stomped on it at about 30 with no problems. When I got on it at a slow rolling speed RPM's jumped up and stayed there and when I reached 65 it cut out and traction light came on.
Tech had computer hooked up the whole time and no codes or error's were indicated.
They re-flashed the computer with the latest updates, about an hour later I repeated the process with the same results.
Stopped back to the dealer and they are in contact with Ford about this problem. At this point Ford indicates that they have not seen this before.

Maybe an ABS sensor fault? Sounds like a difficult issue to diagnose.

Good luck!

This is getting interesting. Can we make the assumption that the tires were not spinning hard enough at 65mph to activate an intervention from the Traction Control nanny? Is it possible that you truck doesn't like full throttle 40-65? Good luck; just maybe someone in the Forum has had this issue.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Edit for clarity...

Did you lose traction?

Will it do it with traction control off?
No lose of traction, every time this has happened it was on dry pavement.
Instant reaction is to back off.
Traction control appears to be sensing a slippage but at this point no one has any idea why.

Good point, I will try to duplicate the problem tomorrow with traction control off.

No lose of traction, every time this has happened it was on dry pavement.
Instant reaction is to back off.
Traction control appears to be sensing a slippage but at this point no one has any idea why.
All tires are same brand, same size, and similar tread depth?

I'm leaning wheel speed sensor or as mentioned an ABS sensor...they could be the same thing, not certain. [emoji12]

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Just installed new tires and wheels less then a month ago, 285/65R18.
I'm not sure how the whole thing interacts and speaks to the computer, but why only during hard acceleration would it happen.
Dealer says that is could be the bigger tires, but I'm skeptical of that theory. I have a tuner but have not had tunes made yet because 5 Star refused to make any tunes with the computer on the original factory settings. The truck has not had a problem that required any computer updates so it is or was 6 updates behind current.
One option is to put the stock tires on and try to duplicate the problem.

...They re-flashed the computer with the latest updates, about an hour later I repeated the process with the same results.
Stopped back to the dealer and they are in contact with Ford about this problem. At this point Ford indicates that they have not seen this before.
Have you heard anything new from the dealership this morning, outlaw25? What's your truck's model year? I want to see how I can help your truck get back to smooth sailing. :)

Crystal

All tires are same brand, same size, and similar tread depth?

I'm leaning wheel speed sensor or as mentioned an ABS sensor...they could be the same thing, not certain. [emoji12]
On some vehicles, some dirt, dust or grease can fall on the reluctor (or opening) for one of the wheels (when the wheels were being changed). The dirt on the reluctor can cause the ABS to be triggered, especially at higher wheel speeds.

Simple test/fix, have someone use compressed air on each wheel opening for the reluctor and spin the wheel to blow off any dirt.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
So Ford has never seen the problem and is basically scratching their head. The problem has nothing to do with wheel sensors, ABS or anything that would make sense, they checked and eliminated that.
The next step is to put the stock wheel & tires back on and retest for the problem. Even though my change in tires is minimal they still want to eliminate it.
The problem happens from an almost dead stop and the traction control comes on at between 60 and 70 for a second, at which time the engine backs down, then traction control goes off and all is fine. :confused:

I have a 14 FX4 with a 6in lift and 35's and have had this issue, took it too dealer and no problem found of course. I have did a little research and come up with the traction control, well advanced traction control (stability control) if you turn traction control off under 30 mph then hold button down for 5 secs it will turn the the advanced traction control off. But you have to be rolling under 30 mph. mine done it when i got on to pass or got on interstate, when i finally figured this out it hasn't done it anymore. The roads were always dry give it a shot. The advanced traction control adjust for stability and body roll so that you don't roll the vehicle.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I have a 14 FX4 with a 6in lift and 35's and have had this issue, took it too dealer and no problem found of course. I have did a little research and come up with the traction control, well advanced traction control (stability control) if you turn traction control off under 30 mph then hold button down for 5 secs it will turn the the advanced traction control off. But you have to be rolling under 30 mph. mine done it when i got on to pass or got on interstate, when i finally figured this out it hasn't done it anymore. The roads were always dry give it a shot. The advanced traction control adjust for stability and body roll so that you don't roll the vehicle.
What you say may be true. But in the end there is still a problem that needs to be found and fixed.
Turning off a feature is not a fix.
Thank you for your input.
One possibility could be FR interference from a defective coil pack. Far fetched, yes, but the tech working on the truck has seen a bad coil pack induce problems in a DC circuit in the past.

So Ford has never seen the problem and is basically scratching their head. The problem has nothing to do with wheel sensors, ABS or anything that would make sense, they checked and eliminated that.
The next step is to put the stock wheel & tires back on and retest for the problem. Even though my change in tires is minimal they still want to eliminate it.
The problem happens from an almost dead stop and the traction control comes on at between 60 and 70 for a second, at which time the engine backs down, then traction control goes off and all is fine. :confused:
Have you returned to stock wheels/tires yet, outlaw25? If you'd like, I can loop in your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll have them give you a call to discuss this further.

Crystal

Mine did this the other day while passing and nearly got me hit. Happened right around 65, just shifted into 3rd gear I believe. The traction control light came in and the truck lost power/ limp mode for about 1-2 seconds (felt like an eternity while passing an 18 wheeler). Dry road, newer tires, unlikely that I lost traction at that high of a speed. Tires are 275/70r18 bfg ta KO2. Has only happened once.

Mine did this the other day while passing and nearly got me hit. Happened right around 65, just shifted into 3rd gear I believe. The traction control light came in and the truck lost power/ limp mode for about 1-2 seconds (felt like an eternity while passing an 18 wheeler). Dry road, newer tires, unlikely that I lost traction at that high of a speed. Tires are 275/70r18 bfg ta KO2. Has only happened once.
That sounds like you had spark blow out.

That sounds like you had spark blow out.
His signature says 14(updated plugs, strategy etc stock) and catch can, no way. I bet something to do with his newly installed tires.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
The truck was dropped off last night after removing new tires and wheels and installing stock ones.
While changing the tires over I couldn't help but think, what if they cannot duplicate the problem, is Ford going to say it's due to changing tires and rims?
I will update status when I get more info. 34,500 miles on the odometer, 1500 away from the end of warranty.

Sounds scary, Renegade Medic; I'd definitely recommend having your dealership look things over. How many miles are on your truck? I want to do what I can to assist as well.

Crystal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.