OH $%^^&! I ripped the mirror off!

OH $%^^&! I ripped the mirror off!

This is a discussion on OH $%^^&! I ripped the mirror off! within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Well - the title says it all...unfortunately. I didn't entirely rip it off, just busted every part, including the motor. The main frame/bracket that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OH $%^^&! I ripped the mirror off!

Member #
    Liked
    92 times

Angry OH $%^^&! I ripped the mirror off!

Well - the title says it all...unfortunately.

I didn't entirely rip it off, just busted every part, including the motor. The main frame/bracket that the other parts are mounted to - the part that attaches to the truck - is still functional, still folds. My puddle light is still in tack. But nothing else.

So it looks like I may have to replace the entire assembly from what I see on the Ford Parts website. On there you can part out all but one main piece that I need - the plastic housing that the mirror itself sits inside. It seems that piece only comes with the entire assembly even though I unscrewed it from the main bracket. Either way, it looks like a $300 - $500 fowl up.

Soooo - if I have to spend that much anyway, I was thinking about moving up to towing mirrors. You see those on E-bay for about $500 +/-.
    My mirrors are power fold now. I was wondering if the power fold would work on towing mirrors as well?
    Also, I'm sure several of us here have made such a swap and was hoping some of you fine gentlemen could steer me in the best direction. The FX4 mirrors are painted to match on top shield. I guess I have to give that up if I go to towing style. So be it....

Thanks-

Member #
    Liked
    1543 times
    CKNPRO likes this.
    2013 Ingot silver Platinum | 3.55 locking rear | 5.5' box (144.5" WB) | 36 gal. tank | Line-X | 18% tint | Bakflip G2 | poly sub mod | Rancho Quicklift and RS9000xl rear shocks Truxxx #105016 rear blocks | Raptor Recon side mirror turns smoked | EPP Catted DP | Magnaflow #12579 muffler| Northlight Labs 3.0 door detents |Boost-Bars | RX Monster can | Wagner CAC | Amsoil Signature 5w-30 (THE BEST OIL)

Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    before i owned an eco.... I was in the parking lot for a drugstore when i was sick; and I absent mindlessly opened up my ram's door into the passenger mirror of a 2012 platinum. I cracked the outside of the mirror slightly. The original quote on damage was $900. I almost shat my pants, obviously. I was able to negotiate that mirror cost down to just under 600 installed. There was no way i would use my insurance for it. Man i was pissed!

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    A complete mirror assembly via Ford MoCo parts site is $588. I am assuming I could get a slightly better deal from my dealer as they have been good about things like that so far. I'm really hoping they can part it out with just the externals I need. If I can get it back OEM for <$300 then that's what I'll do. One thing I do not know is whether the colored cap is purchased that way or if I'd have to get one painted. If I have to get it painted then that could change the game too. I'd rather it be back like it was because esthetically I really don't like the Mickey Mouse ear appearance of towing mirrors even though practically they are more usable.

Thanks for the link Mike. I researched that mirror and it seems to be the best option with many satisfied folks. I'd ***** a little about loosing the puddles - especially since I had upgraded mine with some super bright LEDs. I don't care about the auto dim because mine doesn't work most of the time with my camper shell on anyway. I don't tow trailers that often outside of hunting season, don't have a TT. But because of my camper shell, I use the side views more than the rear view. So overall, other than looking like Mickey, I'm sure tow mirrors will be an improved driving experience.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Well I tried to edit but tapatalk isn't allowing - did not know that word would be redacted - apologies.

Member #
    Liked
    1200 times
    look up junkyard online.

LKQ is a big nationwide junkyard, they usually charge a premium though. They will even ship to your house I believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1238 times
    These guys seem to stock pretty nice products and are a forum sponsor so I'd guess you'll get great support... If and when I upgrade my stockers they will be the place I go.
    mikemetz82 likes this.
    2013 F150 Screw Lariat
    Forged Pistons, Rods, Studded heads, BW Turbos, FR CAC, Rad, CAI, CC, DP's, Exhaust, Hand ported exhaust manifolds, meth
    Check out my build thread!
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/10...ld-thread.html

Member #
    Liked
    1238 times
    Oh and once upon a time... I had a 2004 F150 single cab... driving through construction zone about 15 minutes after I bought it... smacked a road work sign with drivers side mirror and blew the entire interior assembly up, plus the glass!
    mikemetz82 likes this.
    2013 F150 Screw Lariat
    Forged Pistons, Rods, Studded heads, BW Turbos, FR CAC, Rad, CAI, CC, DP's, Exhaust, Hand ported exhaust manifolds, meth
    Check out my build thread!
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/10...ld-thread.html

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for link advice
    mikemetz82 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    If you go Ford, the assembly is separate from the cap, since it needs to be painted. I had to price it out in the winter after I got hit-and-ran by a work truck. Here in Canada, that's $1300 a side, plus paint. I bought the power folding tow mirrors from 1A Auto, and installed them within 30 minutes a side, taking my time. Excellent quality, and customer service. Had them within two days of ordering.

Which side did you hit? I have a spare passenger side Race Red power folding mirror in the garage that I'd sell for way cheaper than Ford...
    Ryan and his Race Red 2011 FX4 Screw
    3.5EB, Luxury package, Max Tow package, moonroof, 275/55/20 BFG KO2s

Yes, I have a truck. No, I won't help you move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links