New tires, brake rotors and pads, then P0300, new plugs and now P0430 codes wow!!

New tires, brake rotors and pads, then P0300, new plugs and now P0430 codes wow!!

This is a discussion on New tires, brake rotors and pads, then P0300, new plugs and now P0430 codes wow!! within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I bought my 2012 FX2 super cab in January 2015 with 36,000 miles on it. I knew when I bought it that it would need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New tires, brake rotors and pads, then P0300, new plugs and now P0430 codes wow!!

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

I bought my 2012 FX2 super cab in January 2015 with 36,000 miles on it. I knew when I bought it that it would need them soon so just last week I put on a set of 4 Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires. Great tires, they look great, made in the USA and feel awesome! Also the truck needed front rotors since I was getting a bad shimmy. Got a set of rotors and pads from RockAuto and put them on last week, wow what a difference!!! Then when I was driving over the weekend in some heavy rain, trying to get on the interstate the truck fell flat on its face, check engine light came on and was flashing, I pedaled the truck on the gas then off on and then of trying to not get run over and it picked up enough to get in the right lane out of the way. The all great P0300 code came up for misfire, my MPG went down about 5mpg and had sputtering at WOT especially around 4500-5000 rpm. So yesterday I changed the plugs on it with Motorcraft SP534's with the gap at .030 and holy crap did the truck wake up!!!! It felt like I had a shot of nitrous on the dang thing when I took it for a test drive lol. Old plugs didn't look too bad with a light brown burn to them. So the check engine light is still on last night and when I plug the reader in, P0300 is gone and I get code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2. I cleared the code this morning on my way into work so when I get home tonight I'll see how it looks then. My MPG is back up to normal again too. Just wondering if I blew out my catalytic converter or O2 sensor when I had the misfire? Its the 3.5L 3.73 rear with no tune (yet) and all stock everything.
    Last edited by lilduec; 06-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1508 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lilduec View Post
    I bought my 2012 FX2 super cab in January 2015 with 36,000 miles on it. I knew when I bought it that it would need them soon so just last week I put on a set of 4 Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires. Great tires, they look great, made in the USA and feel awesome! Also the truck needed front rotors since I was getting a bad shimmy. Got a set of rotors and pads from RockAuto and put them on last week, wow what a difference!!! Then when I was driving over the weekend in some heavy rain, trying to get on the interstate the truck fell flat on its face, check engine light came on and was flashing, I pedaled the truck on the gas then off on and then of trying to not get run over and it picked up enough to get in the right lane out of the way. The all great P0300 code came up for misfire, my MPG went down about 5mpg and had sputtering at WOT especially around 4500-5000 rpm. So yesterday I changed the plugs on it with Motorcraft SP534's with the gap at .030 and holy crap did the truck wake up!!!! It felt like I had a shot of nitrous on the dang thing when I took it for a test drive lol. Old plugs didn't look too bad with a light brown burn to them. So the check engine light is still on last night and when I plug the reader in, P0300 is gone and I get code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2. I cleared the code this morning on my way into work so when I get home tonight I'll see how it looks then. My MPG is back up to normal again too. Just wondering if I blew out my catalytic converter or O2 sensor when I had the misfire? Its the 3.5L 3.73 rear with no tune (yet) and all stock everything.
    Do you have a weep hole in your CAC? if you are afraid to add one, you should pull it off. I'll bet that you have a great deal of water build up which caused the stumble in the rain. May have triggered the o2 sensor to freak out too. ( just spitballing here, not sure on the cat code) The '11 and '12 have the stumble all over the place, so just check you cac and stay safe. a weep hole will allow built up water to drain with no problem. Since there is always pressure in the cac you will never have any grime get into it, so don't worry about that.
    norcal_ecoscrew and Vozaday like this.
    peon

Member #
    Liked
    1738 times
    ^Sage advice from AJ there.^

Could have been plugs or CAC condensation. You've ruled out one with the plugs, if it happens again time to inspect/drain your CAC and consider the pee (weep) hole.
    agentjohnson and Vozaday like this.
    2012 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost 4x4, 3.31 Rear, 5.5 Box, Ingot Silver Metallic
    -Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Icon UCA's, Billstein 5100 Rears, Roadmaster Active Suspension
    -Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70R17, Pro-Comp 7032 17x9 -6 Offset
    -SCT x4 w/ Custom 91 Tune, S&B CAI w/ Dry Filter, Wagner CAC, Turbosmart BPV's, Full Race Catch Can, Solo Catted Downpipes, 3" custom catback
    -DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky Liners, Raptor Tans Mount, Silverstar Ultra Bulbs,
    F150Ecoboost.net Decal

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I'll look into the weep hole some more. I've read some things about the CEL and then condensation in the CAC issues during rain. Do you just drill a small hole in the bottom of the CAC and should I just do it now? (edit, just read a couple posts, I'm gonna do this tonight!)
    Last edited by lilduec; 06-24-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    norcal_ecoscrew and Vozaday like this.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    My truck was bought used... carfax showed that it had O2 sensors replaced twice. My truck also had the shudder/stumble. I believe that and the failed O2 sensors are related.
    New properly gapped plugs and the weep hole are two great starts to gaining reliability. This engine is very finicky... Not happy with it.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Ok so on the way home the CEL came on again. Plugged in the scanner and the same P0430 came up again. Also I drilled the weep hole tonight, but only a little bit of brown fluid came out. So gonna drive it tomorrow and see how that goes.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Drove into work today, ran it WOT a few times to push all the gunk out. Dang!!!!!
    93Cobra likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1508 times
    OMG! I knew you'd have something like that going on! Hope this fixes things up!
    lilduec likes this.
    peon

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I figure I'm gonna let the CAC be for a while and leave that part alone to see how that goes. Now the other part is the Check Engine Light being back on and lower MPG. So on the way in this morning I reset the CEL one more time to see if it would duplicate. The MPG today with the CEL OFF is 22mpg average and yesterday with the CEL ON is 17mpg average driving the same exact route in same conditions. P0430 is the code that keeps coming up so I wonder if its the O2 sensor but I only have an Actron Auto Scanner and don't know how to tell exactly where the problem is.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    On the way into work today, same conditions with a lot of rain and humidity, I pulled into the left line with an 18 wheeler comin up quick and when I stepped on the gas..........truck fell right flat on its face stumbling coughing spitting and wouldn't accelerate at all! Guess I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. The gunk is still continuing to come out of the weep hole I drilled in the CAC though. I check on it everyday and each time there is either milky brown, or dark oily fluid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links