Why Does Winter Gas Suck? - Page 2

Why Does Winter Gas Suck?

This is a discussion on Why Does Winter Gas Suck? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; edit: although I suppose you could tune for E30...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why Does Winter Gas Suck?

Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    edit: although I suppose you could tune for E30
    Sirikenewtron likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    not sure if I like that idea. E85 is very very corrosive. Can burn up injectors and pumps very easily. It also burns way faster, requires 30-40 percent more flow rate. Hence why most setups require a full return system and e85 compatible components.

Pretty much all newer vehicles use hoses and what not that are e85 compatible to future proof for when ethanol % is upped due to emissions. There's definitely not different hoses and what not from the f150 flex fuel 5.0 to the f150 ecoboost.
    As you said though it burns faster so the issue with the ecoboost is the fuel system keeping up and truck running to lean but running the 3, 4 gallons to 32 gallons of regular fuel is not an issue. Some people do run e30 or more but I keep my blend to roughly under e20, more like e15-18.

Its done wonders for knock readings.
    Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 02-09-2016 at 09:26 PM.
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron View Post
    Same here but I use it, I run about 3 gallons of e85 and the rest of my 36 gallon tank 91, works very well
    Have you been running a 93 tune with this mixture?

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
    Have you been running a 93 tune with this mixture?
    No I personally wouldn't trust it (getting the mix ratio just right) I use it for a safety cushion for my 91 perf tune.
    I know people have though

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Pretty much all newer vehicles use hoses and what not that are e85 compatible to future proof for when ethanol % is upped due to emissions. There's definitely not different hoses and what not from the f150 flex fuel 5.0 to the f150 ecoboost.
    As you said though it burns faster so the issue with the ecoboost is the fuel system keeping up and truck running to lean but running the 3, 4 gallons to 32 gallons of regular fuel is not an issue. Some people do run e30 or more but I keep my blend to roughly under e20, more like e15-18.

Its done wonders for knock readings.
    Your right as far as the fuel system goes. All newer autos can handle e85 just fine. The problem is the higher the alcohol content the more of it is required to get the same energy out of compared to gas and until we get a new HPFP that can flow what is required for e85, the ecoboost platform has to sit on the side line. We have the lift pumps and now the injectors to handle it, but now the HPFP is lacking.

As as fas as alchohol burning faster than gas, it actually burns slower than gas. Which is why you can run more timing on heigher alcohol blends. It ups the octane rating which is why you see less spark knock.
    2013 Limited

Member #
    Liked
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boosted View Post
    Your right as far as the fuel system goes. All newer autos can handle e85 just fine. The problem is the higher the alcohol content the more of it is required to get the same energy out of compared to gas and until we get a new HPFP that can flow what is required for e85, the ecoboost platform has to sit on the side line. We have the lift pumps and now the injectors to handle it, but now the HPFP is lacking.

As as fas as alchohol burning faster than gas, it actually burns slower than gas. Which is why you can run more timing on heigher alcohol blends. It ups the octane rating which is why you see less spark knock.
    Yup, I know

Member #
    Liked
    3644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boosted View Post

I think what he meant is, you need more fuel volume, hence you go through it faster.
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 103k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    In garage: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection, FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung), AMP powered steps, billet badges, aeroforce gauges w/vent pods.

Member #
    Liked
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfan1890 View Post
    I think what he meant is, you need more fuel volume, hence you go through it faster.
    Yup, I know

Member #
    Liked
    3644 times
    Yup, I know
    Yup, I know
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 103k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    In garage: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection, FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung), AMP powered steps, billet badges, aeroforce gauges w/vent pods.

Member #
    Liked
    702 times
    Stock I can run a 15% blend. Tuned for E30 now, and with no issues to speak of besides the EBOV not cooperating occasionally. I still manage 16-18mpg when I'm not stop-light racing.
    slothman likes this.
    2015 Ruby Red Scab 3.55 gears 4x4 Fast and Fun

2015 Pearl white SHO AWD Fast and quiet.

'If you can't Join em beat em' - 3 PUMP Racing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links