Sometimes the Cheapest Gas is not the Cheapest Due to Cheating Gas Pumps. How to Tel

Sometimes the Cheapest Gas is not the Cheapest Due to Cheating Gas Pumps. How to Tel

This is a discussion on Sometimes the Cheapest Gas is not the Cheapest Due to Cheating Gas Pumps. How to Tel within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; More stations than you realize have gas pumps that cheat you maybe 5 to 10% every time you fill up. I always reset my "gallons ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sometimes the Cheapest Gas is not the Cheapest Due to Cheating Gas Pumps. How to Tel

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

More stations than you realize have gas pumps that cheat you maybe 5 to 10% every time you fill up. I always reset my "gallons used" computer every time I fill up.

I discovered that several places where I have been filling up (Shell and about 4cents cheaper) have been slightly cheating me, according to the gallons used computer. The pump would indicate I put in 20 gallons when my computer would only say about 19.2. This is 8 tenths of a gallon, or about $2.60 in gas I am being cheated out of. I always pump gas in the tank until the pump clicks at least 2 times and you can tell the gas is as full as it needs to be...not overflowing at all, but plenty full.

The pumps at these stations consistently indicate I used 1/2 to 8 tenths a gallon more than the truck computer indicates, depending how much gas the truck takes at fill up.

At the next fill up, I went to another station that I had not checked out. When the tank was full, the pump indicated it took 19.0 gallons, and the computer indicated I used 19.4. I gained 4 tenths a gallon. The truck was level in both places and I filled the tank exactly the same each time. My next fill up will be at this same place to see if the pumps here are consistent with my previous fill up.

I suppose there is a percentage range that is acceptable to the gas pump inspectors, like maybe 5%. That could be extra 5% profit for the station if the pumps are shorting you 5%. I wouldn't think the truck computer would be off more than .1 or .2 gallons per tank full. That will be an acceptable shortage. Anything more than that will send me to another station.

Any other observations on this?

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    no but i am curious that you are filling your tank with 18 or 19 gal all the time !
    i had an 04 F-150 triton with a 23 gal tank that would use typically 18-19 gal to top off but now this 13 has a 36 gal tank and i cringe every time i have to refill.
    actually i have never filled it all the way in one stop because i start getting nervous when the price gets up around the $85-$100 and i usually just round it off and call it good enough.
    2013 XLT Flame Blue Metallic 4x4

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I have never noticed this problem. But then again, I have never been looking for it. I will be filling my truck up today and I will check this out.
    2012 Ingot Silver FX4 Ecoboost, Super Crew, max tow package, VisionX 6500 Lumin flood light, aFe 4" Mach Force Cat Back Exhaust, aFe Stage 2 CAI, aFe Bladerunner Charge Pipe, BBK 73mm throttle Body.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ricere View Post
    More stations than you realize have gas pumps that cheat you maybe 5 to 10% every time you fill up.
    Exactly why I don't hand calculate fuel. Everybody says the truck is off, often calling the truck's MPG the "lie-o-meter". Well, why the heck do people not trust it but have full faith in the odometer/tripometer and fuel pump?

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Unless you have a line drawn on the filler neck to where you can visually see that the tank is filled to that exact point each and every time you can not use the gallons pumped vs the trucks computer gallons used to judge whether the pump is shorting a percentage of a gallon per fill. There will also be factors such as needing to fill the tank at the same temp each time due to expansion and evaporation variations in temperature.

Bottom line, pump it, pay for it and head on down the road.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    very very good point Jon, whether the truck is filled up in the morning or the evening can easily show 10% difference in volume and to get technical you would have to take a sample of the fuel and test temps to compare apples to apples
    the temp effects gasoline volume pretty drastically when you are metering it
    higher temps not only lower the density but also increase the evaporation rate alot more than you think.
    2013 XLT Flame Blue Metallic 4x4

Member #
    Liked
    5100 times
    Pumps are supposed to be certified and inspected by the Dept of Agriculture. At least here in Texas.

Attachment 3009

I reported this station because their 93 octane runs like crap.
    '13 FX4 3.55 LET Tuned
    Stock Turbos = 451hp/532tq

58mm Turbos = 482hp/591tq

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    They test the accuracy of 5 gallons. That's it.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Texas has about 8 inspectors to cover the entire state.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    When I bought the truck I averaged it to cost around $100 to fill it up. If its less then that I'm happy. I haven't had to spend more and every time it shuts off at full I haven't broke down the numbers to look but if its around $2 with a 26gal tank that's comes out to be a full tank of gas at reg prices ($3.70/gal) after 30 fill ups. Ill have to try and remember next few times I fill up to check.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links