Strange noise on 2013 waste gate maybe

This is a discussion on Strange noise on 2013 waste gate maybe within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; This may sound wired and I think it might be the wastegate opening. But on low throttle usually in the subdivision, when it holds in ...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

This may sound wired and I think it might be the wastegate opening. But on low throttle usually in the subdivision, when it holds in a gear and doesnt shift out I hear a weird noise coming from the engine. It lasts a second or so, and to me I think its the wastegate opening. It also seems to loose a little power when this happens.

Is this normal for it to open this early on and if so how can I get it to hang in there longer.

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Maybe,... on the 2013 the BOV is electronic not mechanical controlled like on the 2011-12. I haven't noticed it on my when going slower but I have a 2012. It could be the waste gate letting pressure go from build boost when holding a gear and going slow...
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Strange noise on 2013 waste gate maybe

None of the dealers around here really know much about these trucks so taking it in is useless.

It feels and sounds like a wastegate so hopefully once out of warranty a good sct will take care of that

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Haven't noticed that in mine but then its just been to darn cold to run around with the windows open to take in the sounds. I do notice power levels out when on slow cruise in 4th. Will keep my ears open soon as spring comes!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Strange noise on 2013 waste gate maybe

The thing is I cam hear it inside the cab, and kind of feel it through the floorboards

Member #
    Hello everyone. First post here. I also have a 2013 EB. I have seen a lot of post of ticking from the engine compartment and the general opinion is that it is the direct injection. This is the first thread I have found even close to my problem. I have a noise coming from the passenger side floor board a cruising speed. It is very faint and the dealer says it is air coming through my vents. Dealer BS. Like I said it is very faint so under hard acceleration I don't hear it. It almost sounds like a break pad rubbing or a old mechanical tach cable. A very metallic sound. I can't think it is anything bad as the truck is driving and running great. Its just one of those things that every now and then I turn the radio down to see inf it is still there. The truck is 4wd and has 1500 miles on it. I started noticing it around 700. I have since tried switching to a higher octain fuel but no change. I have now done a leveling kit and tires and wheels and no change. My front end shop gave everything a good looking over and found nothing. Any ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    I want you to see if the sound gets easier to notice when you cruise
    past sound reflective surfaces like wood/vinyl fences or concrete baracade walls on the passenger side of the truck.

What causes this is that the turbo is spooled at cruise. Not enough to make boost but enough to significantly reduce the vacuum a non turbo engine would run at. This causes a 'spooling' noise from the turbine (the exhaust wheel) which can be heard in the exhaust note. It sounds like a jet engine. I think it is the coolest freakin' sound that a turbo engine makes. Because our turbos are small it makes this sound harder to hear from the drivers seat. If you notice it gets louder or easier to hear when cruising past passenger side sound reflective surfaces then just enjoy your truck making jet engine sounds
    The Black Knight - '13 EcoSCREW. Oxford White 3.55s Turbo V6 guys freakin' rock. Tragedy strikes and then Friends respond
    My Grand National build thread --->Phoneix Build Thread

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Does the noise increase with vehicle or engine speed?

Was the noise present before your leveling kit, wheels, tires?

First thought is tire noise. Not all tires sound the same or are quiet at speed. How high of a leveling kit did you install and which brand?

Member #
    The sound has been there pre all aftermarket parts. It is defiantly not the turbos. I am a truck driver so I am defiantly use to turbo noise. This almost sounds like a brake dragging or a rock caught between the rotor and the caliper. However I have inspected the whole area and found nothing. It does not change with engine speed. I can put the truck in to neutral or down shift it and it stays the same. I doesn't even really change with chassis speed either except to say that it comes in at about 35 mph and above.

Sponsored Links