Mishimoto CAC Review? - Page 4

Mishimoto CAC Review?

This is a discussion on Mishimoto CAC Review? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by BoostCamping13 Maybe I'll do that or just deal with it. It is a ton better, but there are still some cases where ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mishimoto CAC Review?

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostCamping13 View Post
    Maybe I'll do that or just deal with it. It is a ton better, but there are still some cases where I overheat, like at the crest of Parleys canyon here in Utah or I overheated once on my way to Yellowstone last year.
    Just curious, what are you calling overheating? I deal with temp issues on my truck as well. All stock at this point, and not been encouraged to upgrade anything based on feedback like yours saying the radiator & IC upgrades don't fix the issue.

Overheating to me is ECT or tranny over 240F. I know technically the motor doesn't de-fuel until 250-something but the stock gauge being past 3/4 makes me nervous so that's when I pull over.

8-mile 6-8% grade, pulling 6,500-7,000lb in 85+ heat. Once it gets below 85F the ECT never gets above 230F.
    Dave
    2013 F150 4x4 EB
    2005 F250 4x4 6.0 Sold
    2002 F150 4x4 5.4 Sold

Member #
    Liked
    1785 times
    Yea....I know
    it hit 100°officially in the AZ today>yawn-lol
    We say it's hot when it's like 108°++
    I plugged in my manual high speed override fan/harness switch setup by Bad454SS
    It reminds me of when I ran the dual monster Flex-a-Lite fans on my past Silverado & Titan.
    Being able to turn the fans on high speed right out of the gate is a plus and actually letting the fans run after engine shutdown as well as help cool things down a pinch .
    I like how the fans seemed to keep the coolant temps & trans temps down by 10° from what they were before the conversion... just tooling around in the 100° AZ weather. Plus the AC got a little boost. This will only help when towing this summer for me.
    Also....the 3" SPD Catted Downpipes (when they finish powder coating & ship those bad boys?) with the 3" Turbo Adapters will also reduce heat by less restriction + a pinch more power while yanking my 9k+ all over SoCal & Flagstaff during June, July, August.
    Soooo stoaked for the downpipes, turbo adapters and the Powerstop Z36 Tow Brake Kit.
    We'll see how the truck performs!!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1785 times
    As for the the Mishimoto....I like that design.
    That may be my next upgrade depending on how this towing season shakes out/heat soak issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Ecoboost Sr Member BoostCamping13's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Just curious, what are you calling overheating? I deal with temp issues on my truck as well. All stock at this point, and not been encouraged to upgrade anything based on feedback like yours saying the radiator & IC upgrades don't fix the issue.

Overheating to me is ECT or tranny over 240F. I know technically the motor doesn't de-fuel until 250-something but the stock gauge being past 3/4 makes me nervous so that's when I pull over.

8-mile 6-8% grade, pulling 6,500-7,000lb in 85+ heat. Once it gets below 85F the ECT never gets above 230F.
    I define 'overheating' when the truck chimes and says reduced power which seems to be about 245° ECT.
    2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost, SCREW, 6.5ft bed, with 3.55 gears
    - UPR Mega Catch Can w/ Clean Side Separator
    - Full-Race Freakoboost Radiator Upgrade
    - 13 row DIY transmission oil cooler upgrade

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3059 times
    Yaw got me thinking about CAC performance and I jumped in the truck today and got it good and warmed up. About 50 miles into the jaunt I set the cruise control on 70 and switched to normal mode. (Sport mode runs a lower gear, more rpms, and less boost)

I let the truck settle for few miles and noted that the ambient temperature on the Sync screen read 87F. (it actually was jumping back and forth between 86 & 87)

Ok, I then took a camera shot of the Pids I was monitoring. (pic below)

So where is the CAC_TempF sensor?
    How does it read 25F cooler than ambient?
    Note: If you exit the highway and come to a full stop and sit for a few seconds, those CAC Temps very quickly jump to within 1 or 2 degrees of Ambient. But as soon as you take off from a stop, they plummet again. Very quickly.

I get that the CAC is a heat exchanger, but I didn't realize that it can cool below ambient.

You can also see that on my Gen2 the ect is almost always between 205-215 regardless of running empty, towing, cruising, are playing around on the back streets. If ambient was 60F instead of 87F, my ect's don't really reflect it. If I was towing my smaller RV (4500-5000lbs loaded) the ect's would only be slightly higher, except in a long uphill grade they might get in the high 220's.

I guess I'm curious what the theoretical values of these same pids would be in the same circumstances I was in, but with a highly respected aftermarket CAC like the Mishimoto or FR or......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    1706 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Yaw got me thinking about CAC performance and I jumped in the truck today and got it good and warmed up. About 50 miles into the jaunt I set the cruise control on 70 and switched to normal mode. (Sport mode runs a lower gear, more rpms, and less boost)

I let the truck settle for few miles and noted that the ambient temperature on the Sync screen read 87F. (it actually was jumping back and forth between 86 & 87)

Ok, I then took a camera shot of the Pids I was monitoring. (pic below)

So where is the CAC_TempF sensor?
    How does it read 25F cooler than ambient?
    Note: If you exit the highway and come to a full stop and sit for a few seconds, those CAC Temps very quickly jump to within 1 or 2 degrees of Ambient. But as soon as you take off from a stop, they plummet again. Very quickly.

I get that the CAC is a heat exchanger, but I didn't realize that it can cool below ambient.

You can also see that on my Gen2 the ect is almost always between 205-215 regardless of running empty, towing, cruising, are playing around on the back streets. If ambient was 60F instead of 87F, my ect's don't really reflect it. If I was towing my smaller RV (4500-5000lbs loaded) the ect's would only be slightly higher, except in a long uphill grade they might get in the high 220's.

I guess I'm curious what the theoretical values of these same pids would be in the same circumstances I was in, but with a highly respected aftermarket CAC like the Mishimoto or FR or......

I'm not sure about that CAC pid but the ait2 one is the one you want to monitor for intercooler temps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Traded the old 2013 XLT S. Crew cab 4x4 on its 4the engine
    For a 2017 crew cab sport stx 2.7 and couldn't be happier

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times
    Something is going on there, I think anyway. It should be physically impossible for it to cool the temps any less than the outside air. (Again...I think. Lol) But like Sirike said, iat2 is the one to pay attention to.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    Something is going on there, I think anyway. It should be physically impossible for it to cool the temps any less than the outside air. (Again...I think. Lol) But like Sirike said, iat2 is the one to pay attention to.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
    That's why I asked.

I don't know how it works or where the sensor is but it is obviously measuring the cooling influence of moving air.

If you aren't moving, the temperature (in Fahrenheit) is within a degree or 2 of ambient.

At 5mph it is dropping dramatically.

So, what about what's called "chill factor" in the weather report? You know, it's 40F outside but the wind makes it feel like 30F.

Wouldn't that be a possibility?

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times
    Wind chill? Wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects, it's just sort of a measure of our perception of the temperature, so I doubt it's some sort of calculation on wind chill. I'm not sure what to make of it. My logs for the current tuner use the CAC temp pod and it reads as I'd expect it to.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    That's why I asked.

I don't know how it works or where the sensor is but it is obviously measuring the cooling influence of moving air.

If you aren't moving, the temperature (in Fahrenheit) is within a degree or 2 of ambient.

At 5mph it is dropping dramatically.

So, what about what's called "chill factor" in the weather report? You know, it's 40F outside but the wind makes it feel like 30F.

Wouldn't that be a possibility?

I use PID's that I have found on the forums for my torque pro app and this is how I have them labeled and what sensor they are reading.

IAT1=sensor on pipe post intake filter
    CAC=sensor post CAC just before throttle body
    IAT2=sensor on intake manifold

I have never seen my CAC temp below ambient but it is always about 10° above. IAT2 usually runs about 20° above ambient.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links