has anyone solved problem with poor mpg's?

This is a discussion on has anyone solved problem with poor mpg's? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Bought new EB Lariat in December: my experience is 12.4 ave mpg in town over the course of a full tank (not the instant readings ...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: has anyone solved problem with poor mpg's?

Member #

Bought new EB Lariat in December: my experience is 12.4 ave mpg in town over the course of a full tank (not the instant readings on the dash, although it is reasonably accurate) and 16.8 is the best average for a full tank, 100% interstate at 72/75 mph. average for 10,000 miles plus is 14.7 mpg of which 2/3's was interstate... needless to say, disappointing.

i now have 15,000 miles on the vehicle, love driving it, only complaint is the gas mileage. as others have posted, i have taken it to the dealer for service, they have kept it for a week and done driving tests and such on it to say that according to there computers there is nothing wrong. The dealer escalated it to Ford and Ford's reply was that it is within the tolerance of driving conditions, offered no solutions and left it up to the dealer to work it out with me.

there seems to be more experiences like mine on the posts so i don't think poor mpg's from an ecoboost is an isolated incident. At the same time many are getting great gas mileage. it seems, especially given how great the truck drives, that it must be a simple, fixable problem with airflow, tuning or something... has anyone with this issue been able to find a solution?
    2012 Ecoboost; 4X4 SuperCrew Lariat; Electronic 6 Spd Auto; 3.55 Electronic locking RR Axle; P275/55R20

Member #
    Liked
    390 times
    First of all, Welcome to the forum!

I would say your answer is in your post. 72/75 on the hwy. I have the 3.73s and try to keep it right around 65 on the hwy but will push it to 67-69 occasionally. In good weather with minimal wind I am getting 20-24 mpg regularly. When the weather sucks rain/wind/snow I get at minimum 17 on the hwy.

Around town I get between 16 and 18 regardless of weather. The lowest I have had around town is 16.

If you drop your speed a little and keep it under 70 and you are still getting poor milage in good weather you may have a mechanical issue.

Keep us posted on what you find, but I'll bet a shiny nickle that your mpgs increase.

SPPD
    2013 Oxford White F-150 XLT 4X2 Screw 5.5 box EcoBeast ~ 301A, MaxTow 3.73 elct rear locker, XLT Chrome Pkg. (Bone Stock)
    ProPride P3
    2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    I bought mine in September and ran around 13-14 around town this winter as well. Since the temps have moderated its up to 15+. I've seen high as 24 on the highway under 65 mph (with tail wind) but average has been 19 +/-. Current lifetime average is 15.6. Pulling my trailer with a 3700 lb. car on it yeilds just under 12. For this heavy truck I'm very satisfied to say the least. Weather, driving style, tire pressures and idling have a big effect in that order. Mine has the 3.31 gearsets but from what I've read that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I too hsve a 2012 with 3.55 and I'm averaging 17.x combined...70-79 highway..curious maybe its a 4x4 issue?? Sucks to hear of your issues

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Here's some stuff I wrote on a driving course I took that really was an eye opener.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-...mileage-4.html

Post #39

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've had my truck for 3 months now, truck has 22000 on it 3000 by me. 2012 supercab,4X4 3.55 gears. I have averaged 17.1 overall for those 3000 miles. No trips longer than 70 miles and lots of town driving. I have found that if I really try I can get 16 plus in any kind of driving. However, still trying I can't get over 18-19 on the hiway. I'm in CA with warmer temps, seldom cruise slower than 70 on the hiway. My problem is my right foot......how much fun is it to mash the throttle???? I control myself and keep mashing to a minimum but it is included in the 17+ average to date. I have found that cruise control improves mpg dramatically. Heard the SCT tuner can give 80hp, 100lbs torque with exhaust and improves mileage......help me see the negative in this........by the why, I'm a 62yr old motor head.......old but not dead..... absolutely love this motor!!...........John

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Ok, so here's the deal. Circumstances have everything to do with it. Under 6k miles has to do with it because of the transmission. How it was driven in those first 6k miles effects the shift points because the transmission learns the drivers habits and adjusts appropriately. Altitude also does, I for example live in Denver, things are different here. Talk about things all you want but I have talked to other sales reps from all over the country. And the only thing we can consistantly come up with is that everyone is different!!! If you really TRY at it then you should be able to get the mid-high teens overall. But I have talked to plenty of people who get 12.4 mpg all the way around. This happens. They drive the piss out of the truck. Truth is, it's hard to get a real life estimate of what YOU are gong to get until you drive it. Want great gas mileage? Buy a focus. Want great gas mileage with ability to tow, buy an EcoBoost. But either way, there are plenty of examples of GREAT fuel economy from the EB.
    "Currently In Progress"
    2013 XLT SCrew Tuxedo Black 5.5ft EcoBoost
    20inch Moto Metal wheels w/ Blue Flame Accents
    JL Audio C5 components SI BM mkIV woofer and JL HD 900/5
    aFE stage 2 CAI

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    So I'm guessing the right foot is the answer to the question lol! But like folks have said its how you drive, where and weather conditions etc. sorry to hear its not up to par as you would have hoped.
    Boostedfx2 likes this.
    2012- King Ranch 4x4, SuperCrew 6.5' bed, Max Tow PKG (3.73), 33" Toyo Open Country (10ply/E-rated), Arctic Spray-in bedliner, Boost Bars (Chrome).

Member #
    Since I was getting crappy mileage too (2012 4x4) I've been doing ALOT of research on this and I did the following: I had heard that when the trucks left the factory the plugs gaps could be incorrect. Pulled all mine and found that I had two that were at.028, one at .029 and the remainder at .030. Replaced them all with the same and gapped all to .035. This made a small difference in MPG's. I had also installed one of the grills in the intercooler opening. The one was made out of aluminum with a number of horizontal bars. Since Ford stresses not to have anything in the opening I pulled the grill and removed every other bar. This made about .5 MPG difference. I then installed a aFe Stage 1 CAI. This made the most difference, about 1.5 MPG. Before doing any of the above I had never touched 15MPG since new. Now I'm getting a consistent 16+ in town and 17.5+ doing 65 on the highway. My highway trip was only about 30 miles but I could tell if I had gone farther the MPG's would have continued to go up. All my testing was done while the air temp was the same and since purchasing the truck my driving habits have changed to having an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. My next step is to install a aFe Bladerunner Intercooler Pipe and see what that does and then a catback system. Right now I'm looking at aFe's and Stainless Works. I have to say I'm very disappointed in the mileage I've gotten, especially since I bought the EB for the mileage claims. I was a member of the Motorcraft site where I could access all the TSB's and memos and I found Ford's answer to all the complaints about poor gas mileage; "Tell the customer to drive better". Yep, believe it or not, that is Ford's response to the F150 EB's poor gas mileage. Forgot to mention that the very first thing I ever did was to install a MBRP stainless catback system. It made a 1 - 2 MPG increase but I couldn't stand the sound of it. I put up with it for about a week and pulled it off and put the stock back on. Anyone want to buy an almost new catback system?
    Last edited by jeffp_032056; 04-17-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3642 times
    You have to keep out of the boost to get good mileage. I you hear the turbo spool up, you need to reduce the load on the motor or your mileage will suffer. For me, the difference between 60 mph and 70 is at least two miles per gallon probably closer to three. The EB is more finicky in this regard than any other vehicle I have driven. My other truck gets about 13 mpg at 75 unloaded and about 14 at 60.
    Wilbur517 likes this.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links