F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Platinum, 155,XXX miles on it. Stock except for CAI and catch can. About a month ago I started getting the clatter/chatter at start up, it last for a second and then all is fine. We all know what that is the beginning of and the cause.
I set out to research costs and options. About that time I needed an oil change. I went to a new to me shop close by since we've recently moved.
I have used Mobil 1 in the truck since purchasing it last June.
The kid at the counter stated the truck calls for a synthetic blend (they use Castrol), not full synthetic. I questioned that statement but went with his suggestion. He explained that the blend is a little thicker and with the mileage I have the tolerances in the engine are bigger, hence the synthetic blend will be even more effective.
Having said that to say this... the noise at start up is GONE. It has not happened once since that oil change.

Was the damage done? Will it come back? Am I full of sh!t? Was the kid full of sh!t? Who knows... What I do know is that catastrophic noise at start up is no longer present.
I'm happy riding with that until the next surprise...

I don't think you can blame it on full synthetic oil. I'm not an expert in the field but I have used Amsoil full synthetic oil for many years. I started years ago sending a used oil sample to Blackstone Laboratories to be analyzed. I had 271,000 miles on my 2007 F-150 using Amsoil when I traded and it was still running as smooth as it could be. I can't speak for Mobile but Amsoil has always exceed the requirement and standard of any manufacturers recommended engine oil. Again, not being an expert, I would guess something else caused your problem.

Have you had any freezing weather lately? Do you keep the catch can emptied on a regular basis? There are reports of catch can contents freezing up and causing engine damage.

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't think you can blame it on full synthetic oil. I'm not an expert in the field but I have used Amsoil full synthetic oil for many years. I started years ago sending a used oil sample to Blackstone Laboratories to be analyzed. I had 271,000 miles on my 2007 F-150 using Amsoil when I traded and it was still running as smooth as it could be. I can't speak for Mobile but Amsoil has always exceed the requirement and standard of any manufacturers recommended engine oil. Again, not being an expert, I would guess something else caused your problem.

Have you had any freezing weather lately? Do you keep the catch can emptied on a regular basis? There are reports of catch can contents freezing up and causing engine damage.
Sorry if it read that way, I definitely don't blame the oil for the noise. If I understand it correctly it is the cam phazers (sp) that are not holding pressure/building pressure quick enough to keep the slack out of the timing chain, hence the noise at start up.
I did not mention the noise to the kid at the oil change place, so no attempt was made to mask it if anyone wants to go down that road.
I'm no expert either, but things seems to make sense so far.
It has been freezing here a few times. I do keep the catch can emptied.

I've used Mobil 1 for 30 years, in everything from Hondas to Mazdas to Nissans to Fords. Never had any issues. I do change my own oil, and until I can't climb under my vehicles, will continue to do so every 7500 miles. Why? Because I trust quick change lube shops about as far as I trust politicians. You have no idea what you are getting when you go there. Not all are corrupt, but from first hand conversations with employees the biggest cash cow is when customers request synthetic or blends. Put bulk oil in, the average customer has no idea that he/she has just paid $90 for $10 worth of 10-30 Penzoil and drives off, after being told to come back in 3 months or 3000 miles. And after bad experiences with dealerships, I suspect that some do the exact same thing too.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I've used Mobil 1 for 30 years, in everything from Hondas to Mazdas to Nissans to Fords. Never had any issues. I do change my own oil, and until I can't climb under my vehicles, will continue to do so every 7500 miles. Why? Because I trust quick change lube shops about as far as I trust politicians. You have no idea what you are getting when you go there. Not all are corrupt, but from first hand conversations with employees the biggest cash cow is when customers request synthetic or blends. Put bulk oil in, the average customer has no idea that he/she has just paid $90 for $10 worth of 10-30 Penzoil and drives off, after being told to come back in 3 months or 3000 miles. And after bad experiences with dealerships, I suspect that some do the exact same thing too.
I never said I used a quick lube place, not sure where you picked that up at????

Dealer changes my oil. I like being pampered AND I believe the 20 year relationship saves me $thousands every couple of years.
I also like all those visits being logged if\when I have a service request.

So my Fords, these days, get synth-blend. It seems Ford doesn't have a beef with the kid at the counter. :)

Having said that, I'd never argue that full synth oil doesn't have superior traits. The science is often in its favor.

Note: I blackstone all my oil changes. I WILL change my current strategy if the lab reports suggest I'm not getting expected results.

Actually, with my forthcoming built motor, I might change. I'll certainly hear the experts out.

OP what oil filter are you using? Motorcraft?

Dealer changes my oil. I like being pampered AND I believe the 20 year relationship saves me $thousands every couple of years.
I also like all those visits being logged if\when I have a service request.

So my Fords, these days, get synth-blend. It seems Ford doesn't have a beef with the kid at the counter. :)

Having said that, I'd never argue that full synth oil doesn't have superior traits. The science is often in its favor.

Note: I blackstone all my oil changes. I WILL change my current strategy if the lab reports suggest I'm not getting expected results.

Actually, with my forthcoming built motor, I might change. I'll certainly hear the experts out.
Let me know when you find one.

:cool:
They're in ample supply. Seemingly everywhere.
Oil & tires.....as crazy as religion & politics

Fortunately, compared to half a century ago when I heard the first advice on oil, there is LOTs of good stuff to chose from.

I wouldn't be too sure it fixed the issue yet. My 11 had the rattle on start up and when I first heard it it was very intermittent. I would go weeks without hearing it, until it got progressively worse and more consistent.
It could also just be a factor of fresh oil and filter. The oil will have better lubricity when new and the filter will have a lower pressure drop across it.
That said, I hope you stay rattle free!

Yes, since I've owned it (June of last year). The previous owner had all service done at the dealer so I would assume they did as well.
Great!!! Just checking all the boxes:):) can't go wrong with motorcraft oem

Not a big selection for filters on the 2.7's, Motocraft and Purolator are all I've found, and looking at the fact they are simply paper cartridges, I would not be surprised it they are made by the same company. But they dang things cost more than a top of the line K&N oil filter for my Mustang.

I don't have a problem with syn blend. Been using it every 4000 miles since new. But with 37,000 miles I couldn't tell if it is any good. Always used motorcraft filters also.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.