The official warranty question thread

This is a discussion on The official warranty question thread within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Figured I would help you guys out. For those of you who dont know me yet I am a master certified parts guy and warranty ...

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: The official warranty question thread

Member #
    Liked
    203 times

Figured I would help you guys out. For those of you who dont know me yet I am a master certified parts guy and warranty administrator for a local ford dealer. If you have any questions about Ford parts / factor warranty post them here and I will answer them the best I can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2018 2.7 Supercab XLT sport Lightning blue
    1968 Thunderbird
    Past: 16 F150 5.0 , 14 F150 5.0, 07 F150 5.4, 03 Ranger 4.0
    Master Certified Ford parts and warranty administrator

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times
    I can tell ya, the biggest question that will come up, and I think the biggest source of misinformation, is going to be regarding tunes.

Where does the Magnuson Moss act come into play?

What exactly does Ford look for to determine that a tune was the cause of a failure when looking at a warranty claim?

If Ford does even look to see IF a tune caused the failure OR do they generally just automatically say "You have tune so denied."

What can Ford see exactly, or what do they look for, to see that an engine has been tuned?

These are the questions I see asked most often,on here and ESPECIALLY in Facebook groups. And answers we see range from "Magnuson Moss bruh they CAN'T deny a claim due to tune" to "The sky is falling he mentioned a tune death to the world they won't even fix your cracked dash!" Lol

Baaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by mwemaxxowner; 07-20-2018 at 05:51 AM.
    UnkleRaRa likes this.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times
    Personally I'm curious about how catch cans are regarded, and I would possibly like to have down pipes upgraded some day.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
    christopherori and hammonds42 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I can tell ya, the biggest question that will come up, and I think the biggest source of misinformation, is going to be regarding tunes.

Where does the Magnuson Moss act come into play?

What exactly does Ford look for to determine that a tune was the cause of a failure when looking at a warranty claim?

If Ford does even look to see IF a tune caused the failure OR do they generally just automatically say "You have tune so denied."

What can Ford see exactly, or what do they look for, to see that an engine has been tuned?

These are the questions I see asked most often,on here and ESPECIALLY in Facebook groups. And answers we see range from "Magnuson Moss bruh they CAN'T deny a claim due to tune" to "The sky is falling he mentioned a tune death to the world they won't even fix your cracked dash!" Lol

Baaaaaaaaaaa
    We can indeed tell if a truck has been tuned but not directly. There is whats called an ignition cycle counter function in the PCM, that counts the number of key cycles since the last PCM reflash or battery disconnect. So say a truck comes in with a concern of rough running and low power and the counter is at 250 and the truck has 25000 miles on it, it would be safe to say that truck was never tuned. But take the same truck with 25000 miles and that counter is only at 1 or 2. That raises a red flag and we start digging more. So we can tell but its not a bright red flag that says look at me.

But say we determined that the truck was tuned and the motor was altered. There is a form that any ford dealer can fill out requesting the powertrain warranty be void on the vehicle and flag the VIN so every other dealer won't warranty any powertrain repairs
    Last edited by djfllmn; 07-20-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    bespurcell likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Personally I'm curious about how catch cans are regarded, and I would possibly like to have down pipes upgraded some day.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
    those aren't a big deal at all. It would be very hard to prove those caused a failure
    christopherori likes this.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times
    Gotcha. That's the general consensus that we've come up with. I hesitate to ask too much, certainly don't want to get you in trouble. I'm just tired of the assumptions and misinformation. Is there a certain number of key cycles that are considered normal? I know, or at least I think I know, certain normal things can reset the key cycles, like replacing the battery or simply having a dead one.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
    We can indeed tell if a truck has been tuned but not directly. There is whats called an ignition cycle counter function in the PCM, that counts the number of key cycles since the last PCM reflash or battery disconnect. So say a truck comes in with a concern of rough running and low power and the counter is at 250 and the truck has 25000 miles on it, it would be safe to say that truck was never tuned. But take the same truck with 25000 miles and that counter is only at 1 or 2. That raises a red flag and we start digging more. So we can tell but its not a bright red flag that says look at me.
    Baaaaaaaaaaa

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Gotcha. That's the general consensus that we've come up with. I hesitate to ask too much, certainly don't want to get you in trouble. I'm just tired of the assumptions and misinformation. Is there a certain number of key cycles that are considered normal? I know, or at least I think I know, certain normal things can reset the key cycles, like replacing the battery or simply having a dead one.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
    ask away with anything, and there really isn't a general guideline, just use common sense with the mileage and key cycles and look at repair history for the truck . and go from there
    Last edited by djfllmn; 07-20-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3139 times
    A very common question that pops up is in regards to the cam phasers failure with the timing chain rattle that can occur. If you read the factory warranty information this "should" fall under the 60,000 mile power train warranty or under the emissions warranty... but yet everyone states that it will never be covered under that and never has been. What say you?
    -Clark

2013 Ingot Silver SuperCrew XLT - Texas Edition, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 e-locker, AEM drop-in filter, Self-fabricated grill insert, AVS low-profile vent shades, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/18, BakFlip G2 tri-fold bed cover

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmore328 View Post
    A very common question that pops up is in regards to the cam phasers failure with the timing chain rattle that can occur. If you read the factory warranty information this "should" fall under the 60,000 mile power train warranty or under the emissions warranty... but yet everyone states that it will never be covered under that and never has been. What say you?
    if you are referring to the Stretched chain TSB, then yes they are covered under the powertrain warranty, we have replaced those already while doing the TSB for the chain, ford has paid them no problem. Along with the other sprockets in there and the chain tensioners.

In fact i used to stock the entire 3.5 timing setup, phasers, sprockets, chains, everything
    Last edited by djfllmn; 07-20-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    bespurcell likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
    those aren't a big deal at all. It would be very hard to prove those caused a failure
    Ha ha! Now you tell me. I finally put a catch can on after hitting both my 5 year and 60K milestones within 24hrs of each other last week.

Kudos to you for stepping up to weigh in on this stuff here. I hope it doesn't become too exhaustive for you though!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links