Dealership scam? Brake job suggested at 27000km's

This is a discussion on Dealership scam? Brake job suggested at 27000km's within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; SO I took my truck in for service, Oil change and recall to door latches. They called me and said the mechanic noticed a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Dealership scam? Brake job suggested at 27000km's

Member #
    Liked
    263 times

SO I took my truck in for service, Oil change and recall to door latches.

They called me and said the mechanic noticed a few things Alignment was out (I knew this got it aligned)

So then he drops this bombshell, "The mechanic noticed that you have alot of dirt and crud and stuff from winter and that it would be a good idea to take it apart and clean it out at the cost of $300."

So I asked my questions.
    Jordan: "Did they drive my truck?"
    Service Advisor: "No they did not."
    Jordan:"So how could he know how my brakes are performing from a visual standpoint alone?"
    Service Advisor: "So you don't want the brakes done?"
    Jordan: "No I do not, what is my pad life like?"
    Service Advisor: " 11/32 front 10/32 rear
    Jordan: "Their fine."

Why the hell would a dealership recommend new brakes on a vehicle with less than 17000 miles on it that hasn't towed anything in its life.
    2015 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 XLT SCSB Best ET stock 14.22 @ 95 Mph
    4 inch Flo-Pro

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3264 times
    Brake job or brake cleaning/servicing?

Regardless, that's what dealerships (and many repair shops) do. They sell their wares.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    madmaxmutt likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The dealerships push Brake jobs as way to boost their profits.
    madmaxmutt and madmaxmutt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Tire places do the same thing, my wives old Explorer needed new tires a 50K and they tire place tried to get her to do a brake job. I told it was BS and she drove that car for 3 more years before it needed brakes.
    madmaxmutt likes this.
    2011 XLT 3.5 ECOBOOST 7700 GVWR MAX TOW 3.73 GEAR

Member #
    Liked
    2659 times
    They do this because 95% of the population will do every thing that the dealers recommend because they're the "experts".... Haha
    Grim Reaper and madmaxmutt like this.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    Liked
    576 times
    which dealer did you take it to?

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2325 times
    Jordan, many people have had problems with the brakes on these trucks. Most common, the brake rotors warp and give a pulsation when you depress the brakes. Mine started around 45,000kms. Others have had them go sooner.

If I let the dealership fix them (I had a warranty that would force them), all they do is resurface the rotors, making them even thinner. They don't put new rotors etc. They just want to keep it running "good enough" until your warranty runs out and then force a brake job down your throat.

My recommendation, is to get a good set of aftermarket rotors and pads (Powerstop Z36 is very popular and reasonable in price), and do them yourself. You can easily do this yourself in your driveway in a few hours (depends how many beer breaks you take).

The stopping power of the Z36s are great. Far better than than the stock brakes plus the rotors are drilled and slotted, to fast cooling.

PS: I like to get a second set of pads and replace them when the pads are down just under 50%. Normally the rotors are still okay, and just installing new pads is even quicker than than rotors and pads. A full set of high performance rotors & pads - front and rear are $519 Canadian for a 2015 F150 Ecoboost 3.5 (if you pickup at their store ... and they have one in Edmonton)

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-S...pn=PSTK6268-36

Once you have the rotors, replacement pads are about $120 Canadian Front & Rear. Half price if you only need fronts (which tend to wear out quicker than the rears).
    madmaxmutt and meaz93 like this.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I would not recommend drilled rotors for trucks. They are prone to warping and cracking. For a track oriented sports car, they are great, for a street driven pick up truck, they are a bad idea. As far as resurfacing rotors, that's standard for any brake job. Rotors are made to be resurfaced many times, I've never heard of replacing the rotors whenever you replace the pads. So a dealership that resurfaces the rotors and replaces the pads is doing what every shop or individual would do when performing a brake job. But it sounds like the dealership is trying to sell you a brake job (at a premium price) that you might not need.

Member #
    Liked
    2659 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
    I would not recommend drilled rotors for trucks. They are prone to warping and cracking. For a track oriented sports car, they are great, for a street driven pick up truck, they are a bad idea. As far as resurfacing rotors, that's standard for any brake job. Rotors are made to be resurfaced many times, I've never heard of replacing the rotors whenever you replace the pads. So a dealership that resurfaces the rotors and replaces the pads is doing what every shop or individual would do when performing a brake job. But it sounds like the dealership is trying to sell you a brake job (at a premium price) that you might not need.
    Actually the power stop rotors are 100% designed for daily driving and towing. Lots of us have them and they are a million times better than the OE rotors and none of us have had any wear or uneven issues with the power stop rotors.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    My father in law just did his 2014 max tow hd eco at 800000 kms. A third of those kilometers is yanking a 10000 pound trailer that he lives in year round. I don't know exactly if the rears were done. He just had an issue with the truck last week a throttle issue popped up and it went into limp mode. Took it to Ford and nothing popped up and the drove it for a couple of days. He got them to replace the throttle body for $450 anyways..hopefully that's the issue

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links