Catch can question... And no, not THAT question. Lol!

This is a discussion on Catch can question... And no, not THAT question. Lol! within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Howdy fellers! I have both the driver side and passenger side UPR catch cans installed. The passenger side gets quite hot to the touch. So ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Catch can question... And no, not THAT question. Lol!

Member #
    Liked
    125 times

Howdy fellers!

I have both the driver side and passenger side UPR catch cans installed. The passenger side gets quite hot to the touch. So hot, in fact, that you can't touch it for more than a couple seconds until the truck cools down.

That's understandable to me. However, the fact that the driver side can only gets a tad bit warm to the touch makes me wonder if something ain't right. I've rechecked every connection several times. All is well there.

So far, I've only collected about 3 teaspoons full of a dark, spent oil, gassy smelling liquid from the passenger side. Nary a drop of anything at all from the driver side. It's bone dry. I have about 1500 miles on the cans.

Thoughts or input? Anything I need to check or be concerned about? Thanks in advance!
    coyconner1983 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Wow. Nothing, eh?

Bump...

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2323 times
    The fact you have very little crud captured on the driver's side would suggest it is not working effectively, and why it's cool to the touch. Whether it's because you are seldom in "boost" (and when the driver's side works), there are few fumes on the driver's side for the can to capture, or if the can is not able to capture anything are things you will need to check into. Try swapping the cans first to confirm the cans are working properly. If so, then it is a combination of "seldom in boost" or few fumes for the driver's side to capture.

On the dual valve system, nothing is fed to the catch can from the driver's side ... the "input" is only the passenger side. It's the check valves that determine whether to send the outlet 'cleaned fumes' to the PCV (vacuum condition) or the Turbo (boost condition).
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Roger that, and thanks for the input.

I certainly don't drive it very hard often. Maybe that has something to do with it? I'll try swapping the cans and see if that changes anything.

Like said, I'm not catching very much at all in the passenger side can, either. I did check the cans again this afternoon, and lo and behold, I had a few drops of stuff in the driver side can this time! I don't have any crimped hoses or anything on either side.

If there was a flow issue (crimped hose, etc) wouldn't it run rough or possibly throw a code?

Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    By the way, regardless if there's anything in either can, every time I've checked them they both smell heavily of chemical/spent oil/gas. Not sure if that means anything one way or the other, but there it is.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1263 times
    I believe UPR just posted a wiring diagram, incase you wanted to double check your installation. You should be capturing a noticeable amount.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I have the same setup. The driver side will collect when you are into boost frequently. For me I only see material on this side when I tow my boat or camper. When i tow, i see about equal amounts on both sides.

About 1/2 of the miles on my truck are spent towing one thing or the other but I have checked the cans during no tow service and observed the same thing as you, cold can and very little material collected on the driver side.
    Last edited by Yake Bait; 10-09-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    2017 Ruby Red F-150 XLT FX4 SCREW - 145" WB - 3.5L EB - 3.55 gears

Jay Flight Swift 267BHS
    Blue Ox SwayPro Hitch

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc311 View Post
    I believe UPR just posted a wiring diagram, incase you wanted to double check your installation. You should be capturing a noticeable amount.
    I see where Tuner Boost (RX) posted a diagram, but I can't see a UPR diagram.

Installation was straight forward though. No check valves, etc. So there's really no "wrong" way to hook it up, methinks.

Member #
    Liked
    5062 times
    Maybe your truck doesn't need a catch can? Does mine?

Sent from my white iPad 3 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalk
    dewserb likes this.
    http://www.leadingedgetuning.com 91 tune & 87 tow tune

2015 5.sL0w
    XTR trim
    Flowmaster DBX muffler
    exit rear tire with CORSA twin tips
    Hellwig rear ani-sway bar
    2" lift all around
    truck is so fast I had to install SYPPO
    tow mirrors 😹😹😹

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Canches View Post
    Maybe your truck doesn't need a catch can? Does mine?

Sent from my white iPad 3 in a (RED) smart case using an app called Tapatalk

Awww crap.... Here we go! Lol!

Honestly fellers... Let's not let it turn into one of THOSE threads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links