2014 ecoboost overheating when towing - Page 4

2014 ecoboost overheating when towing

This is a discussion on 2014 ecoboost overheating when towing within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by SuperDave23 Question: Does you truck have the factory tow package? I know that includes an upgraded radiator, oil cooler, and larger tranny ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 2014 ecoboost overheating when towing

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Question: Does you truck have the factory tow package? I know that includes an upgraded radiator, oil cooler, and larger tranny cooler. My truck has the std tow package with 3.55 gears.
    Don't think he has b/c of 3.31 gears.

2013 F150 Supercrew Lariat+ | Kodiac Brown | 4X4 | 502A | Tow | 3.55 E-Locker | SCT X4 5* 93per/tow | Michelin Defender LTX M/S 285/60R20 | PowerStop slotted-drilled front and back rotors W/ Z36 pads | Bilsteins 5100's X4 |Hellwig rear Anti-Sway Bar | Firestone Ride-Rite Rear Airbags (5000) | Air Lift WirelessAIR On-Board Air Compressor (7200) | AMP Research Power Step | spray in bed liner | HID lights | full LED | aFePower diff. Cover | 3.0 door detent | DeeZee TGA | Retrax Pro Cover | Rugged Ridge FM | Anzo LED side Mirror lights | UPR Billet Emblems | aFePower 4"X12" black exhaust tip | OEM Rear Wheel Well Liners | Westin Contour bull bar | Rigid Industries D-Series D2 LED Lights | raptor grill lights | SnapRest armrest | Bright TRAX led puddle lights | TrailFX window vents/hood protector | 35% tint | My Build https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...-counting.html

Member #
    Since I don't see it in the thread, could the trailer brakes be dragging? Truck should easily handle your situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ecoboost Jr Member Bluewatercanvas's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay, had family stuff going on so haven't been back on the computer in a few days.

Here are some answers to everyone's questions. If I missed any I apologize in advance.

I've only owned the truck for 5 months, and what you see on it, and hear about it, was on it when I got it.
    I just had a full radiator flush a few days ago as preventative maintenance.
    When it Pegged Hot, I didn't have the sct plugged in. I did that after I had the issue so I could keep an eye on it.
    I don't know if the previous owner did the thermostat, I bought it at a ford dealer. Wish I had done it when I had the flush done.
    How do I know, or what do I look for, to see if the truck has a certain tow package?
    The trailer is older and does not have breaks.
    After looking at the front of my truck I completely agree that the extra lights and the frame around them are blocking 60% of my air flow. I'm going to change it to the 100% mesh grill.
    Last edited by Bluewatercanvas; 04-15-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    2014 F150 Ecoboost: AFE Cold Air intake, Full Race intercooler, Full Race Throttle body spacer, Tial Q Blow Off Valve 11 Psi, Leveling kit, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler 2's, 3.31 gears, SCT 87 Performance/ Tow Tune, .28 Motorcraft plugs, Massive Iron Cross Front Bumper. My life in a nut shell...Simply Complicated.

Bossman

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    Make sure you take time to blow out the rad fins as well. If they are full of bugs, it will impact it's ability to cool.
    Grim Reaper and Mikedick77 like this.

Prisoner of the other ........... 39% minority
    Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
    Make sure you take time to blow out the rad fins as well. If they are full of bugs, it will impact it's ability to cool.
    Once the bugs come out, I am amazed how many bugs I killed with the front of my truck. I am more amazed that the bugs aren't all extinct by now??

I usually open the hood when I am washing my truck during the summer and spray the rad and other parts to clean out bugs and other road debris.

And, as you said, check if any of the fins have been damaged, and attempt to straighten them out.
    2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145"WB Ecoboost XLT, Group 302A, XTR Trailer Package, E-Lock 3.55s ...
    Bolt-ons Installed:
    Banks CAI, Wagner CAC, Full Race Catted Downpipes, Custom 3" exhaust w/3" Flowmaster dBX Muffler
    Tuned by Torrie McPhail at www.unleashedtuning.com 91+ Octane 535 RWTQ @ 2750 / 372 RWHP @ 4900 - (Mustang Dyno)
    Mods (Waiting): Mishimoto Hardpipes, Tifosi Ported & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Full Race GT Turbos & SPD Ported Adapters

Ecoboost Jr Member Bluewatercanvas's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Will do. Any suggestions on the best cleaner for the fins on the intercooler and radiator?
    2014 F150 Ecoboost: AFE Cold Air intake, Full Race intercooler, Full Race Throttle body spacer, Tial Q Blow Off Valve 11 Psi, Leveling kit, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler 2's, 3.31 gears, SCT 87 Performance/ Tow Tune, .28 Motorcraft plugs, Massive Iron Cross Front Bumper. My life in a nut shell...Simply Complicated.

Bossman

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewatercanvas View Post
    Will do. Any suggestions on the best cleaner for the fins on the intercooler and radiator?
    For the intercooler I used Simple Green at full strength. It's cuts the grease and oil almost immediately. Fill, rinse, dump, repeat several times. Let it sit in the sun and dry out for a while.

For the radiator, I was going to use the FoMoCo super flush (VC-1) but I accidentally dumped it on my driveway. I have to find a replacement locally now. I am looking for suggestions too.

I re-read your post and it looks like you mean just the exerior? If so, disregard the info above.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Rear blocks removed, Firestone Air bags.

Gold Supporting Member Blown F-150's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewatercanvas View Post
    I just use a hose from the fan side for the rad. Pull the intercooler and rinse it out from the back.

I like to soak the fins with a bug remover first (my fav is Bug Squash from Poorboy's).

Member #
    Liked
    695 times
    Never thought of that. Bug Squash is a great product for bugs on the hood.
    Mikedick77 likes this.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links