2014 ecoboost overheating when towing

This is a discussion on 2014 ecoboost overheating when towing within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Help. I have searched this forum, other forums, spoke to my dealer, and others and cannot find a fix. I live in south Florida, no ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 2014 ecoboost overheating when towing

Ecoboost Jr Member Bluewatercanvas's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Help. I have searched this forum, other forums, spoke to my dealer, and others and cannot find a fix.
    I live in south Florida, no hills or anything. I was towing a small empty trailer this weekend up to Daytona to pick something up and it over heated and caused me to have to pull over for a few for it to cool down. Happened a couple of times.
    If you wouldn't mind please read through my specs so you can see what I have so I don't have to type it all out again. It happened with the tune, so I removed it and installed the factory tune and it still happened. So I contacted 5* to see if I can get a 93 tow tune. I had the radiator fluid flushed yesterday just to do it since the truck has 56,000 miles on it now. Please ask as many questions as you want since I'm not sure what to include in this first thread.
    Thank you in advance!!!
    2014 F150 Ecoboost: AFE Cold Air intake, Full Race intercooler, Full Race Throttle body spacer, Tial Q Blow Off Valve 11 Psi, Leveling kit, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler 2's, 3.31 gears, SCT 87 Performance/ Tow Tune, .28 Motorcraft plugs, Massive Iron Cross Front Bumper. My life in a nut shell...Simply Complicated.

Bossman

Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    I do not tow but I do have a lot of mountains in my area. I switched out my thermostat to the Stant Superstat and from the research @DNAdan did we saw it flows more and from my monitoring it keeps temps a lot more consistent.

When you are driving are you locking out 6th gear? or you are you letting boost do the work? I would assume locking out 6th gear would help drive the waterpump and keep rpms up so you are using less boost to try to help with overheating.

Also, did you happen to use tow/haul mode?
    Mikedick77 and Grim Reaper like this.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    On the way up I did not use Tow/haul mode. To be honest since I hadn't towed with this truck before, I forgot about that button. After the first overheat, I did end up using the button but it still happened.
    These where the basics when it happened:
    Average speed 70, Intercooler temp 86, engine temp 225, Rpm's 2100-2300, truck kept it in 5th gear, not me. Average continuous boost was around 5-7. Also I did not use the manual gear selector.
    I don't remember the trans temp exactly but it never showed it getting hot.
    Just standard driving on flat roads, and then all of a sudden engine temp would spike and limp mode the truck.
    I'd pull over or pull off an exit and let it sit for a few then it would be fine for about 10 min before it did it again.
    I will say the very first time it did it that day the temp gauge spiked and as soon as I pulled over it dropped in a half second to normal temp. Almost like the gauge got stuck. That one was weird.
    2014 F150 Ecoboost: AFE Cold Air intake, Full Race intercooler, Full Race Throttle body spacer, Tial Q Blow Off Valve 11 Psi, Leveling kit, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler 2's, 3.31 gears, SCT 87 Performance/ Tow Tune, .28 Motorcraft plugs, Massive Iron Cross Front Bumper. My life in a nut shell...Simply Complicated.

Bossman

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    280 times
    The gauges are not true real-time temperature gauges. They only move a predetermined amount once you hit a certain temperature. It's an "idiot" light at best. IMO you were "lugging" the motor in too low of a gear for whatever you were pulling. This keeps the engine in BOOST and those turbos spike the heat so fast you barely have any time to back off.

If I am pulling anything, the minute I get around 2500 RPM, I downshift manually. This could be something with your tune not being a "tow" tune, but mine is stock and it tries to stay in the low gears for as long as it can. I still have to manually bump it down. This is with a 3.73 rear, I would expect you definitely should drop down if you have a 3.31 rear.
    2012 SCREW Eco FX4 Tuxedo Black, Fully loaded, Max Tow, 3.73 rear.
    ARE Z-Series topper w/Yakima rack, Bilstein 5100's, StopTech Sport brakes, BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims, RXP Catch can w/UPR check valves, FR Gen 2 Radiator, Saudi Trans cooler, CR Performance Engineering exhaust manifolds, Firestone Air bags.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3248 times
    Lots and lots on this forum concerning the issue. But the common tactic of using rpms over boost is almost unanimous.

Doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other things you can do to the truck to better equip it for towing, but when you are already out on the road you have to work with what you got.

Treat that transmission like a manual, in respect to what gear you are cruising in. Your obvious strategy is to reduce the Turbo burden if possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    250 times

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    True, I hate the dummy gauges. Luckily I had my sct4 tuner with me so I was able to monitor all the temps with it.
    I was towing an empty 7x14 cargo trailer with a flat nose with nothing inside when it happened.

Bossman

Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    How much does that big old bumper and light block the intercooler and radiator? Your big heavy tires and 3.31 gears aren't hdlping things either. Get the revs up.
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The bumper is heavy, tires too. Intercooler is extremly light. I was trying to keep the revs around the 2000 range because my gas mileage was showing I was only getting 8 mpg. I wonder if going with a bigger gear set would help.

Bossman

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I got what you just asked, the lights block it about 10-15% i'd guess. the bumper none, due to it being open at the bottom and middle. And the cooler and radiator sits higher than the bumper also.

Bossman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links