IAT2 Reading - When is Timing Pulled?

This is a discussion on IAT2 Reading - When is Timing Pulled? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I've been reading a few threads regarding the lackluster performance of the factory CAC, and how particularly when towing the engine management system will retard ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: IAT2 Reading - When is Timing Pulled?

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

I've been reading a few threads regarding the lackluster performance of the factory CAC, and how particularly when towing the engine management system will retard timing and essentially reduce available power once the CAC heat soaks... Can anyone give me a ballpark IAT2 reading that this starts to happen? Or is there another way to see this via my SCTX4? I'm not a real tech savvy guy, have no idea how to data log or anything like that, but I can fumble my way through setting up the SCTX4 to watch the various gauges and sensors while I'm driving down the road. I would be very interested in seeing if/when this happens in my specific use case.
    2012 FX4 SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.73's, UPR Dual Valve w/ CSS, 285/65-18 BFG A/T's - SOLD

2016 Platinum SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.55's

Ecoboost Veteran jibtechwarrior's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    @Boostking told me, but it was so many emails ago I can't remember. I want to say 140*f but I can't be certain. Hopefully he will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    Name:  2019-06-14 11_07_43-Spark Retard for ACT.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  101.2 KB
    Timing is pulled starting at 110 charge temps. You take the function (two columns) and the temp, and multiply it against the other table based on load and RPM.

Example. Charge Temp = 110° F. RPM = 3800, load = 1.4.

So the math would be -10 x .05 = 0.5 degrees of spark removed.

As temps get hotter, the negative multiplier gets larger, and thus the amount of spark removed does the same.
    snakebitten and Blown F-150 like this.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Is CAC temp and IAT2 the same thing on the gen2 motors Brett?

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    Yes. CAC is Charge Air Cooler post temp, and IAT2 is the same thing but the generic datalogging parameter.
    2013 Tuxedo Black SCrew Ecoboost FX4 w Appearance Package 5.5 box, 3.73. Mods: SCT LWTS+ custom tuned, Full-Race/BorgWarner OEM+ "GT Turbos", Tifosi Exhaust Manifolds, RTR HPFP, CP-E FMIC w/ TurboSmart SuperSonic, CP-E 3" Catted Downpipes, AFE Magnum Force Pro Dry-S Intake, Borla Touring Cat-Back, Terra G2s 305/55/20 on Method N/V 20x9, Leveled Bilstein 5100 RHA 1.5", 20" LED light bar, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Morimoto LED Fogs, Extang Revolution Tonneau Cover, Custom LED bed lighting, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Tailgate Remote Power Lock Mod, MaxLiner Floor Mats, Ford OEM Underseat Cargo Box, LED Interior and Reverse Lights (Diode Dynamics), Recon LED 3rd Brake Light, NL Door Detents, .50 cal antenna, Custom Coding (ForScan)

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostking View Post
    Name:  2019-06-14 11_07_43-Spark Retard for ACT.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  101.2 KB
    Timing is pulled starting at 110 charge temps. You take the function (two columns) and the temp, and multiply it against the other table based on load and RPM.

Example. Charge Temp = 110° F. RPM = 3800, load = 1.4.

So the math would be -10 x .05 = 0.5 degrees of spark removed.

As temps get hotter, the negative multiplier gets larger, and thus the amount of spark removed does the same.
    Amazing post!

By the way, your next post confused me regarding CAC temps/IAT2 Temps. Especially since I get a big variance in temp values between those 2 pids.

Keep in mind that my tuner is not the same brand as the one you have great expertise on. And although you would know the role the tuner (hardware) plays in interpreting the various data/signals from the odb port, I don't know if the value displayed on the screen is accurate, nor what would be the logical explanation if it wasn't. Lol

My pid called "CAC_T" is supposedly a Fahrenheit value at the CAC. But it often reads below ambient and much cooler than IAT2 Temps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    My CAC temp gets to 120-130 without trying at all... These things need an upgrade I think

Boostking likes this.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    I dont normally log both CAC and IAT2, due to them being the same. I will admit that the CAC is a DMR which is a little different data stream (direct memory read). Maybe there is a offset or delay.

Next time I'm out logging one of these vehicles, I'll log both and see what they say.

I'm not familiar with CAC_T. Could be pre intercooler temp, or in other words IAT. Not sure there.

I can say with confidence, that CAC and IAT2 always get really hot when I'm pushing these trucks during preload dev. A FMIC upgrade is a must in my opinion.
    snakebitten likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Great question OP! And good info to know.
    2011 FX4 SCREW, 3.5 EB. 3.73 and 5* and MPT Tunes, SW catted DP and SW 3.5 inch Chambered Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Mishimoto CAC, and very rusty cab corners.

Member #
    Liked
    1738 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostking View Post
    I dont normally log both CAC and IAT2, due to them being the same. I will admit that the CAC is a DMR which is a little different data stream (direct memory read). Maybe there is a offset or delay.

Next time I'm out logging one of these vehicles, I'll log both and see what they say.

I'm not familiar with CAC_T. Could be pre intercooler temp, or in other words IAT. Not sure there.

I can say with confidence, that CAC and IAT2 always get really hot when I'm pushing these trucks during preload dev. A FMIC upgrade is a must in my opinion.
    CAC temp is post-CAC, at the map sensor on charge pipe. There is a huge difference in temps between it, and IAT2, until the CAC heat soaks.
    This is just a random screenshot from a while back. Temps are in *C.
    Name:  screenshot (2).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  189.0 KB
    13 SuperCrew Ruby Red 302A, 4x4 6.5 box, 3.31, Roush 22's. Twin catch cans, "leveled" with Bilsteins (-2 front, -3 rear), AirLift, SCT. Other's may have displacement on demand... I have an endless supply of torque at my right foot's demand.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links