Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque?? - Page 3

Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque??

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque?? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; First thing that comes to mind is the .035" plug gap. With extra (maybe) velocity or different turbulence, you may be blowing out spark at ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque??

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    First thing that comes to mind is the .035" plug gap. With extra (maybe) velocity or different turbulence, you may be blowing out spark at higher boost. Common thinking is to gap them at 0.028" stock or tuned. I would re-gap and see what happens first.
    Mitchf150, BobRoss and butthead like this.
    -2016 XLT (XTR) 3.5 ecoboost supercrew 6.5' box, max tow, line-x, Bakflip MX4, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Vantech Rack, Alpine PWE-S8 Sub.
    -2019 Open Range UT2504BH.

-Sold: 2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed. 131k miles, Rider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star custom Tune.
    -Sold: 2010 Funfinder 189FDS
    -Sold: 2005 R-Vision Bantam Flyer F18 Hybrid

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3218 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCP2 View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is the .035" plug gap. With extra (maybe) velocity or different turbulence, you may be blowing out spark at higher boost. Common thinking is to gap them at 0.028" stock or tuned. I would re-gap and see what happens first.
    I'm surprised nobody jumped on that earlier. I thought to but got distracted.

That's a big gap to start a fresh set with on these motors for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    butthead likes this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    1814 times
    Too late!-lol> I'm on the Keystone RV Forum from time to time.....and already had a few "discussions" on what a 1/2 ton (Ford F150 Ecoboost) should and should not tow?
    Oh, and those same diesel boys don't and or have not overloaded their rigs?....umm yeah right.
    My advice to them is....go out and test drive one, than get back to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    snakebitten and BobRoss like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    I'm surprised nobody jumped on that earlier. I thought to but got distracted.

That's a big gap to start a fresh set with on these motors for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Heck, even with my totally stock rig, I gaped my plugs to .030 on the last 2 plug changes I've done.. I monitor my ODBII sensors now with a Torque Pro app for my phone and have found that even with 3.73 gears and only towing a #5000 TT, it does much better just leaving it in 5th gear while going on level ground... I'll pop it into 6th when coasting or going down a long grade where my speed is not increasing, but for the most part, I'm going to tow my little TT in 5th gear at around 2200 rpms going around 63 mph.. The temps stay lower, the boost stays lower and I get a tad better mpg..

Power wise, if I need to accelerate to hwy speeds on a hwy on ramp.. NO problem... Just mat it, it goes onto 3rd and revs like crazy, but it's up to 60 mph in an instant and works for me..

I like how quiet this beast is... I'm an old V8 guy from the Muscle car days and love a good 'ol exhaust tone.. From a V8... But there is just no way to get that from a V6, so I just go with the quiet and low torque power these things have and enjoy..

Sorry I can't help with your specific mods.... I left the game when they stopped using carbs and points distributers... ha, ha...

Mitch
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
    Interesting... I will admit I didn't do a million hours of research on the subject, but I can honestly say I never came across this opinion. Can you elaborate a bit on what the well-known reason is, exactly? Is my suspicion regarding too much exhaust flow/too little backpressure on point?

You lose low-end torque but gain higher rpm hp. There are plenty of threads and posts on multiple forums regarding this issue.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...egativity.html
    https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...-vs-sound.html
    https://www.f150forum.com/f70/best-p...oboost-287813/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...60.iS6PNGYSZI4
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post
    Great stuff there, thank you!

I'm going to put a call into 5-Star this morning...
    milesej05 likes this.
    2012 FX4 SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.73's, UPR Dual Valve w/ CSS, 285/65-18 BFG A/T's - SOLD

2016 Platinum SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.55's

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Just got off the phone with 5-Star. GREAT customer service, talked about several things but the bottom line is they don't think a tune can/will necessarily fix the "mechanical" issues brought about with the larger diameter exhaust path... What they suggested is to remove the MBPR pipe from the collector back to the muffler and reinstall the factory piece, which is not only smaller in diameter but also includes the resonator. They feel this could possibly reintroduce enough backpressure to bring good mechanical balance back to the system, and then we can look into tweaking my tune from there.

So... Back on the rack she goes!!

Name:  IMG_3629.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  3.32 MB
    milesej05 and GearHead_1 like this.
    2012 FX4 SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.73's, UPR Dual Valve w/ CSS, 285/65-18 BFG A/T's - SOLD

2016 Platinum SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.55's

Member #
    Liked
    768 times
    I’m interested to see how this turns out for you. We see quite a few members that install exhaust systems and extol the virtues of the new hardware. After all it’s a sizable investment and everyone wants to recognize a performance improvement. We also see a lot of recommendations made to those who are looking for more HP, to avoid installing an exhaust system. These recommendations are often made by those who have never experienced the situation first hand. This all said, we haven’t seen (to my knowledge) anyone who has felt like the exhaust, once installed robbed them of ponies and pulled the exhaust to see if they could rectify the problem. Your’s will be the first and I curious to read your results.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    FWIW, back pressure is ALWAYS bad. Nothing good comes from backpressure. That is a blanket term wildly thrown around incorrectly.
    Abruptly changing from a 2.5" pipe to a 3" pipe for example could create a reversion pulse wave which could negatively affect performance. Not because you want "backpressure" from the original 2.5"pipe.

And if you have a pair of 3" downpipes for example, you would want the outlet of the collector to be 4.25" to maintain the same total cross sectional area which would maintain exhaust gas velocity which should minimize any reversion pulses.

If exhaust tuning is your thing, you can purposefully introduce reversion pulses to actually increase power in a certain rpm range. Stepped headers come to mind. Or 4-2-1 headers as the collector itself will cause reversion pulses and placement of the collector can change how the exhaust pulses react with each other.
    BobRoss likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
    FWIW, back pressure is ALWAYS bad. Nothing good comes from backpressure. That is a blanket term wildly thrown around incorrectly.
    Abruptly changing from a 2.5" pipe to a 3" pipe for example could create a reversion pulse wave which could negatively affect performance. Not because you want "backpressure" from the original 2.5"pipe.

And if you have a pair of 3" downpipes for example, you would want the outlet of the collector to be 4.25" to maintain the same total cross sectional area which would maintain exhaust gas velocity which should minimize any reversion pulses.

If exhaust tuning is your thing, you can purposefully introduce reversion pulses to actually increase power in a certain rpm range. Stepped headers come to mind. Or 4-2-1 headers as the collector itself will cause reversion pulses and placement of the collector can change how the exhaust pulses react with each other.
    With turbos, i would think minimal backpressure is always the best answer, so that preturbine pressure is lower and you can run more wastegate. I cannot possibly imagine how a bigger exhaust, 5ft down from the exit of the turbine(after the stock dp’s and cats) would ever effect performance
    BobRoss likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links