Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque??

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque?? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Quick background on my truck as it sat before last Thursday evening: 2016 SCREW 157" WB, 4wd, 3.55 E-locker, ~81k miles, fresh SP-534 plugs at ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Exhaust = No Low End Torque??

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quick background on my truck as it sat before last Thursday evening:

2016 SCREW 157" WB, 4wd, 3.55 E-locker, ~81k miles, fresh SP-534 plugs at 0.035" gap, 4" suspension lift, 275/65R20 BFG A/Ts on factory 20" wheels, 5-Star 87-Octane Performance/Tow tune. I have towed quite a few times with the truck and overall was pretty happy with the power and how well it performed (fuel economy aside), although I did notice once I loaded the 5-Star tune that it would not hold 6th gear on even the smaller hills and honestly felt a little sluggish overall when towing? I chalked it up to 5-Star trying to keep things "safe" and haven't put much more thought into it, but make no mistake it had markedly more pep when the stock tune was in there...

So, last Thursday night I installed an AEM intake and an MBRB dual exhaust, both products as seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-21-8128DC...gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/MBRP-S5254AL-...omotive&sr=1-1

What I noticed immediately was how lazy the exhaust seemed to roll out of the tailpipes... On the factory single exhaust, the steam would rocket out of the pipe, but in stark contrast now it just slowly rolls out like a thick cigar swoosh. The next thing I noticed, when towing my Jeep to the mountains this weekend (2018 JLU-R on an 18' flatdeck car hauler, total weight ~7klbs), the truck was almost completely gutless by comparison until you got up to about 3,000RPM? It seems to have lost all low-end torque, and won't hold 6th or even 5th at the slightest hint of an incline. On one particularly aggressive hill, where it admittedly used to drop down into 4th to hold 65mph, it had to drop all the way into 3rd...

Long story short, is there such a thing as too much exhaust for the EcoBoost, and did I find that breaking point with the MBRP system and a relatively stock engine otherwise? I was told by multiple sources that neither the intake or exhaust would require additional tuning, but I'm wondering if maybe that isn't the case?
    2012 FX4 SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.73's, UPR Dual Valve w/ CSS, 285/65-18 BFG A/T's - SOLD

2016 Platinum SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.55's

Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Did you do a KAM reset when you installed the parts? Are all connections properly connected?
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I’m pretty new to these ecoboost engines so someone else may have something different to say...

Everything I have ever heard regarding exhaust on a turbocharged engine said that you have all of the back pressure you need just from the turbos. I think having too big of an exhaust is really only more apparent in a naturally aspirated engine. I’m not even gonna try and guess what the problem might be but I figured I’d throw in my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BobRoss likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3325 times
    This is a very well-known reason to NOT purchase a cat-back exhaust for these Ecoboost motors. The only exhaust you *should* buy would be downpipes. See if you can return it within the return window.
    2018 Magnetic Metallic 2.7 Ecoboost XLT Sport
    2013 Oxford White EcoBoost FX4 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Sometimes, a fool should trust what the wise say, instead of coming out yelling Totally Not True... because you couldn't find it on google. The wise usually know what they are talking about, because of either hands on experience, or maybe they've just been around long enough to know what's what.

Check out the following threads for most of the questions regarding the F150 Ecoboost:
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...11-2014-a.html
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...ts-2015-a.html

New Members, please read through this thread for all the Rules for .Net
    https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/3...uidelines.html

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3263 times
    Also note that many of us "towing Ecoboosters" actually prefer the truck not to try to hold a taller gear, rather than downshifting.

The taller gear just calls for more Boost, which in turn generates more heat, which in many circumstances is something we are trying to reduce.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Mitchf150, Grim Reaper and BobRoss like this.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by milesej05 View Post
    This is a very well-known reason to NOT purchase a cat-back exhaust for these Ecoboost motors. The only exhaust you *should* buy would be downpipes. See if you can return it within the return window.
    Interesting... I will admit I didn't do a million hours of research on the subject, but I can honestly say I never came across this opinion. Can you elaborate a bit on what the well-known reason is, exactly? Is my suspicion regarding too much exhaust flow/too little backpressure on point?
    2012 FX4 SCREW, 6.5' bed, 3.73's, UPR Dual Valve w/ CSS, 285/65-18 BFG A/T's - SOLD

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
    Interesting... I will admit I didn't do a million hours of research on the subject, but I can honestly say I never came across this opinion. Can you elaborate a bit on what the well-known reason is, exactly? Is my suspicion regarding too much exhaust flow/too little backpressure on point?
    On THIS forum, made up of a bunch of die-hard Gen1 and Gen2 F150 Ecoboosters, it's almost deafining, the chorus of "don't waste $ on cold air intakes and cat back exhaust."

I'm not saying it is unanimous, but it IS a tiny minority that will argue they see ANY performance gain. In fact, there's plenty of evidence of the contrary.

Doing it for sound and looks is mostly tolerated, lol, but claiming gains will draw a healthy dose of skepticism.

Last edited by snakebitten; 06-17-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Honestly, I have never heard of that. I have had a corsa, flowmaster, magnaflow, and some other thing on the truck and have had zero issues with that.
    Noblest and BobRoss like this.
    2013 FX4 - Black Betty
    Boostking Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Also note that many of us "towing Ecoboosters" actually prefer the truck not to try to hold a taller gear, rather than downshifting.

The taller gear just calls for more Boost, which in turn generates more heat, which in many circumstances is something we are trying to reduce.

Understood, and I appreciate the feedback. I can wrap my head around that to a point, and like I mentioned in the OP, I'm pretty sure that is the main difference I was seeing when I first loaded the 5-Star tune. My concern now with the MBRP dual exhaust is that I've lost a significant amount of low-end power, so the truck physically can't do the work that it used to at the same lower RPM. I typically tow at 62-63mph, and don't mind some occasional hunting between 6th and 5th on moderate hills, but I bought the EcoBoost specifically for the low-end torque to avoid constant downshifts. It worked as expected until the 5-Star tune, and now with the dual exhaust it's just horrible...

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    On THIS forum, made up of a bunch of die-hard Gen1 and Gen2 F150 Ecoboosters, it's almost defining, the chorus of "don't waste $ on cold air intakes and cat back exhaust."

I'm not saying it is unanimous, but it IS a tiny minority that will argue they see ANY performance gain. In fact, there's plenty of evidence of the contrary.

Doing it for sound and looks is mostly tolerated, lol, but claiming gains will draw a healthy dose of skepticism.

I have heard plenty of the "...don't waste your money..." mantra, but never heard it would actually be detrimental. The dual exhaust was, admittedly, purely for aesthetics because I'm just a sucker for a cool pickup with dual exhaust, and I'm not even a little ashamed of that I would have been perfectly happy with net 0 in terms of performance gains, wasn't anticipating any in the first place, but certainly was not expecting reduced low RPM performance.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links