Order of Operations: What order did you do your mods? - Page 2

Order of Operations: What order did you do your mods?

This is a discussion on Order of Operations: What order did you do your mods? within the F150 Ecoboost Chat forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Like they all said it depends on what you're after. However for best power gains: Tune W/ 170* tstat and correct gap on your spark ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Order of Operations: What order did you do your mods?

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Like they all said it depends on what you're after. However for best power gains:

Tune W/ 170* tstat and correct gap on your spark plugs and a catch can
    I/C
    Catless D/P if you don't have emissions
    CAI
    Catback
    Wheel/tires/leveling kit.

If you wanna get real crazy a progressive methanol injection kit and a Walbro 455 pickup pump conversion to run E30+ blends.
    Last edited by sstroud; 10-22-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    Nissan Master Tech - EV/Hybrid/GTR

2013 SCREW 4x4 - BJB - On second engine, still tuned
    2015 SCREW 4x4 - Guard - Tuned lightly
    2015 STI - ... stupid fast.

Member #
    Liked
    2535 times
    I did level and tires then tune. That way the initial power loss from the tires is recouped and then some with the tune.
    2013 F150 FX4 Appearance Loaded Eco. w/Max Tow. Level lift with 305/55r20 Open Country ATII Extremes. Rear Raptor Shocks. 5 Star Tuned/X4. Wagner Intercooler. AFE Stage 2 Intake. RX Catch Can/UPR CSS. Boost-Bars Raptoid Grille. 30" Hanning LED Bar. Rigid Backup Lights. JW Speaker Fogs. GlowShift Boost Gauge. Remote Access.

1971 Mustang Grande 351C

Member #
    Liked
    5100 times
    I did mine cash in hand, a little at a time.
    Tuner/tune
    Tint
    T stat
    Intercooler
    Meth
    Downpipes
    Intake
    '13 FX4 3.55 LET Tuned
    Stock Turbos = 451hp/532tq

58mm Turbos = 482hp/591tq

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc311 View Post
    As raider said, CAI and catback exhausts are mostly "show" parts and not "go" parts. You'll see minimal, if any, gains.

All the tuning companies that I'm aware of will modify a custom tune for free once it's purchased.
    That, I did not know. I love forums.

FWIW, I am not after huge HP/TQ numbers. I drive very conservatively. The intake/exhaust/tune for me will be for chasing maximal mpg. I'll never be at the strip and I'll never be racing the hot girl in the BMW at the light.
    mikemetz82 and 2Canches like this.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    The general idea with my order in the OP was to see what type of gains could be realized with each piece before tuning. i.e. add CAI to otherwise stock truck, what is the result under my driving conditions... then add DP... test for results... then add exhaust... retest for results... then tune, which according to everyone is the kicker.

Do you guys think that is a wasted idea? Honest opinions.

Seems like a lot of people might want to know what each piece does respectively adding one element at a time. Still undecided. Give me more feedback. I'm appreciative of opinions.

Member #
    Liked
    1543 times
    If I had to do it over?
    Full synthetic
    Door detents
    Poly sub
    Tint
    Tonneau
    Tuner
    Catch can
    CAC
    Dps.
    Cat back
    Lift/level
    Wheels/tires

In related news: I pay/paid for everything with credit and pay it off every month.
    2013 Ingot silver Platinum | 3.55 locking rear | 5.5' box (144.5" WB) | 36 gal. tank | Line-X | 18% tint | Bakflip G2 | poly sub mod | Rancho Quicklift and RS9000xl rear shocks Truxxx #105016 rear blocks | Raptor Recon side mirror turns smoked | EPP Catted DP | Magnaflow #12579 muffler| Northlight Labs 3.0 door detents |Boost-Bars | RX Monster can | Wagner CAC | Amsoil Signature 5w-30 (THE BEST OIL)

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntTruck View Post
    The general idea with my order in the OP was to see what type of gains could be realized with each piece before tuning. i.e. add CAI to otherwise stock truck, what is the result under my driving conditions... then add DP... test for results... then add exhaust... retest for results... then tune, which according to everyone is the kicker.

Seems like a lot of people might want to know what each piece does respectively adding one element at a time. Still undecided. Give me more feedback. I'm appreciative of opinions.
    Unless you have deep pockets and lots of time to burn I'd say take the advice given and run with it. CAI and Catback gains are minimal at best, they truly are for aesthetics and noise. Like my AFE Stage 2 intake, honestly doesn't help a turbo car at all, but when you stomp the pedal it sounds like an F16 sucking air in by the cubic yard.

Best performance gains for money besides a tuner is the Intercooler and Downpipes. Cool the air and let it breath faster. The stock cat back system really has enough flow to sustain good power. I made the mistake of going 4", sounds good but doesn't offer enough back pressure with the catless downpipes.
    Nissan Master Tech - EV/Hybrid/GTR

2013 SCREW 4x4 - BJB - On second engine, still tuned
    2015 SCREW 4x4 - Guard - Tuned lightly
    2015 STI - ... stupid fast.

Member #
    Liked
    1543 times
    Excellent thread btw!
    2013 Ingot silver Platinum | 3.55 locking rear | 5.5' box (144.5" WB) | 36 gal. tank | Line-X | 18% tint | Bakflip G2 | poly sub mod | Rancho Quicklift and RS9000xl rear shocks Truxxx #105016 rear blocks | Raptor Recon side mirror turns smoked | EPP Catted DP | Magnaflow #12579 muffler| Northlight Labs 3.0 door detents |Boost-Bars | RX Monster can | Wagner CAC | Amsoil Signature 5w-30 (THE BEST OIL)

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemetz82 View Post
    If I had to do it over?
    Full synthetic
    Door detents
    Poly sub
    Tint
    Tonneau
    Tuner
    Catch can
    CAC
    Dps.
    Cat back
    Lift/level
    Wheels/tires

In related news: I pay/paid for everything with credit and pay it off every month.
    Ahh a fine response indeed. And we'll count that as aforementioned "straight cash" as well. #TeamDebtFree
    mikemetz82 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntTruck View Post

It's a great idea but you're missing one key variable. Most want to know what each mod makes compared to a baseline whether that be stock or tuned, but mostly stock. You'd have to remove each previous mod to isolate the new part. Plus, the conditions will be different. Let the companies do the testing. It's a very nice gesture but think about #1 for this. You will not notice any bolt-ons in your butt dyno(unless I'm fogetting something obvious) until tuned. Full synthetic and a catch can are key for longevity but won't do anything on a stock truck for performance. That's my opinion based on what I have read anyway. I guess you could gain an mpg using full synthetic 0w-30....
    You won't feel the difference a cac makes but you will see it on a guage. Do you plan to keep this truck for a long time? Trade for new in a few years?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links