Going to buy a 3.5Ecoboost 4x4 next-fall. What should I be looking for? - Page 5

Going to buy a 3.5Ecoboost 4x4 next-fall. What should I be looking for?

This is a discussion on Going to buy a 3.5Ecoboost 4x4 next-fall. What should I be looking for? within the F150 Ecoboost Purchasing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner I'm not sure, but you have to keep in mind that you're automatically 700 lbs ahead with a 13th gen. 2016 ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Going to buy a 3.5Ecoboost 4x4 next-fall. What should I be looking for?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I'm not sure, but you have to keep in mind that you're automatically 700 lbs ahead with a 13th gen.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Oh, because its lighter truck?.

ETA: Btw I am actually going to buy in the next 90 days. I moved up my buying time.

I see a lot of trucks 2016s even, but none of them say more than 7050 GVWR. ( at least not on the VIN tags I am seeing posted on auto trader )

Am I too concerned with that number?

I was thinking I should be seeing some 7350 or maybe a bit more.

The VIN decoder I found on another website is not helping because it shows several ranges of weight ratings instead of the one that truck is rated at.

Also the 36gal tank is required.....
    Last edited by JJTX; 03-22-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2685 times
    As stated, since the Aluminum version starts lighter, if it has the same GVW of a heavier truck, you actually have increased cargo capacity. Sometimes a lot!

It's the stuff we load in and on our trucks that we are concerned with. You can load MORE stuff on the Aluminum truck, all else being equal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    As stated, since the Aluminum version starts lighter, if it has the same GVW of a heavier truck, you actually have increased cargo capacity. Sometimes a lot!

It's the stuff we load in and on our trucks that we are concerned with. You can load MORE stuff on the Aluminum truck, all else being equal.

That makes perfect sense now and why I dont see 7700 ratings.

Is that ALL 2016+ years?

My max trailer weight/cargo will likely never exceed 8500

Also, in your view, am I giving up anything by avoiding the 4 door?

I really don't want the 4 door. I want the longer bed. Super cab with the half doors is all I need.
    Last edited by JJTX; 03-23-2019 at 04:58 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member snakebitten's Avatar
    Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    2685 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
    That makes perfect sense now and why I dont see 7700 ratings.

Is that ALL 2016+ years?

My max trailer weight/cargo will likely never exceed 8500

Also, in your view, am I giving up anything by avoiding the 4 door?

I really don't want the 4 door. I want the longer bed. Super cab with the half doors is all I need.
    We have 2 Super Cabs in the family fleet. That 6.5 foot bed can come in awfully handy. And, it adds cargo capacity to the truck! (check your yellow sticker in the door. The same equipped truck in Crew VS Super cab, the Supercabs will have more cargo capacity by a few 100 lbs)

However, that does not mean you can't have 4 doors, 6.5 bed, AND huge cargo capacity if you so desire. A Max Payload Crew Cab XLT can almost reach 3000lbs of cargo capacity! But you won't find it on the lot. You'll have to order it.

2018 KingRanch Kingsville Edition- Gen2 3.5 - Runs SO good on Factory tunes. Simply amazing. Good Job Ford

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    We have 2 Super Cabs in the family fleet. That 6.5 foot bed can come in awfully handy. And, it adds cargo capacity to the truck! (check your yellow sticker in the door. The same equipped truck in Crew VS Super cab, the Supercabs will have more cargo capacity by a few 100 lbs)

However, that does not mean you can't have 4 doors, 6.5 bed, AND huge cargo capacity if you so desire. A Max Payload Crew Cab XLT can almost reach 3000lbs of cargo capacity! But you won't find it on the lot. You'll have to order it.

Good to know. I want the longest bed I can get, and the two door super cab + the 7050+ weight rating. I just dont have any use for the 4 door people-mover. Its just me and the wife, and the occasional passenger. Otherwise, I want a truck cap for the back, and I need the cargo space. ( travel trailer, campers here ) I want to also be able to remove the cap and drive a motorcycle up into the back. I cant do that with the 4 door and the short beds I see. I don't want the tire on the tailgate, and I gotta have the room of the longer bed anyway.

I'm going to buy used, if I didn't make that clear . 25-26K is my max to keep the payment reasonable. And so far I'm seeing a bunch of options, but I was not comprehending the 7050 GVWR and the aluminum body in the 2016 years I am seeing in my price range.

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3456 times
    I don't know if you will see a 7050 gvwr, that may have changed with the aluminum body, but as mentioned you can still get the same or better payload. You just have to think about gvwr minus curb weight, and not be so hung up on JUST gvwr.

All that said, good luck finding a HDPP truck used. They are unicorns, and I suspect those who order them are probably the type to hang on a while.

My '16 is kind of middle of the road with a 6500 gvwr and a 1560 payload rating.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I don't know if you will see a 7050 gvwr, that may have changed with the aluminum body, but as mentioned you can still get the same or better payload. You just have to think about gvwr minus curb weight, and not be so hung up on JUST gvwr.

All that said, good luck finding a HDPP truck used. They are unicorns, and I suspect those who order them are probably the type to hang on a while.

My '16 is kind of middle of the road with a 6500 gvwr and a 1560 payload rating.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

Theres been a bunch listed on autotrader with 7050.

I'm going with the 3.5 as well. The HDPP, I'm not sure either if I'll find one. I might have to stay in the 2014 15 range. Lots to look at still.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links