Is 700 pounds worth the $7K savings I could get with a 14?

This is a discussion on Is 700 pounds worth the $7K savings I could get with a 14? within the F150 Ecoboost Purchasing forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I know question is weird but I'm on the fence about getting a 14 at a discount because the dealers want to clear inventory for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is 700 pounds worth the $7K savings I could get with a 14?

Member #
    Liked
    278 times

I know question is weird but I'm on the fence about getting a 14 at a discount because the dealers want to clear inventory for the 15's coming some day.

So is the 15 with new body worth the wait and the lose of savings?

Thanks Doug

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Well seeing you live in Hawaii (salt environment), that would be the only reason I would go with the '15 over a deeply discounted '14 right now. I really see the advantage an all aluminum body will have in salty coastal/northern areas. I'd personally just go with the '14 and save that cash for fuel, mods, etc. Plus insurance and tag/title will be cheaper on the '14. It would take a long time for the 700 lb weight savings to break even in terms of fuel savings when compared to having that extra $7k in pocket that can be used on fuel.

And for what it's worth, I was on the same fence you are on and went with a discounted '14. Best of luck man
    gsxrdoug likes this.
    2014 F150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 w/Ecoboost - White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat w/Adobe Interior - RX Monster Catch Can - 1.5" Auto Spring Level - 5 Star 93 Perf Tune - Diamond Eye 3.5" Stainless Exhaust System w/4.5" Tip - Full Race v2 Front Mount Intercooler - Resonated Offroad Downpipes

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Thank you, believe it or not I was looking for the answer above. I'm not really worried about the rust I never keep a truck long enough to see that. Except my 70 and its a chevy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrdoug View Post
    Thank you, believe it or not I was looking for the answer above. I'm not really worried about the rust I never keep a truck long enough to see that. Except my 70 and its a chevy.
    If you don't plan to keep it too long, I'd definitely save the money

2011 OW FX4 Ecoboost Luxury package Screw 5.5, 3.73, S&B intake, Flowmaster 40, rear lift block delete, running board delete, tinted heads, dipped emblems, shorty antenna, tonneau cover, 33's on 20's. SSI tune

Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    Are they really slashing '14 prices? On the net around me, prices still look normal. A few trucks have $9K taken off but that's few and far between....I'd like to jump into a 14 maybe
    2014 FX4 SCrew | Ecoboost | Luxury Package | Ox White on Black |
    Stubby Antenna | 275/60/20 Toyo ATIIs | 20% Tint | LED fogs bulbs |

Member #
    Liked
    2515 times
    On a slightly different note, I just paid more for a 2015 Expedition than I could've paid for a 2014 Expedition. I wanted the EB engine instead of the outgoing 5.4 V8. That alone was worth the money for me, but there were a few other design cues that also pushed me to the '15.

If I were in the market for an F150, I would get the '15. I'll readily admit that I tend to buy the nicer of whatever I'm buying so I can rarely settle for the old model when the new one is simply better. This is a huge purchase though and I know why you're torn. I personally keep my vehicles for a long, long time and am willing to spend more up front considering the amount of time I'll spend enjoying the nicer vehicle (or regretting the lesser vehicle).
    Last edited by Chris H; 12-10-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Grammar
    2011 F150 Platinum screw 2WD 6.5' bed, 3.73 Max Tow pkg | Full Race FMIC | EPP catted downpipe | PowerStop Extreme | OEM Harley front end | Belltech 3/4 drop | Black Rhino Traverse 22" | built motor & EFR's coming soon...
    2018 Ford Transit XLT 12 passenger van 3.5 EB | stock for now...
    1992 Mustang 5.0 coupe bolt-on play thing.
    1964 1/2 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car - OEM replica, collector car toy

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Thanks for the replies guys! I would love to say I am going to keep this one forever but I haven't yet and don't see it happening anytime soon, I really should just lease but feel that is like renting to many requirements.

There are some pretty big saving incentives now at least out here close to $6500 and the 15's won't make it till March or so.

I guess I just need to go down and see what the bottom line is and that will determine if I need to wait for a premium price of the 15. Or I just keep my Taco and supercharge it.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    There was not too much price slashing when I got mine (appx 6 weeks ago). I just decided to wait on the 15 and get a new 14. Let them work the bugs out of it for a few years until I am ready to trade. Maybe by then the new grill will grow on me..
    That said, I really love mine, so I am happy regardless.
    Ekass13 and Mike Wood like this.
    2014 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost - Equip 402A - Luxury Package - FX Appearance - 3.55 w/ELD - Tuxedo Black Metallic - Nav - Roof - Tow - Extender - Step - 36Gal - Ceramic Tint - SuperLiner - AFE Magnum FORCE Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Well seeing you live in Hawaii (salt environment), that would be the only reason I would go with the '15 over a deeply discounted '14 right now. I really see the advantage an all aluminum body will have in salty coastal/northern areas.
    While aluminum doesn't rust it will corrode. Just ask any aircraft owner who stores his aircraft at a coastal airport. It's a constant fight to keep aircraft free of corrosion.

Aluminum alloys require surface treatment to prevent corrosion. Anodize, Alodine etc. Scratch the surface treatment and corrosion begins.

Look up filiform corrosion and aluminum exfoliation.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 12-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    gsxrdoug likes this.
    2016 Magnetic Gray, XLT, 2WD, Crew Cab, Sport Appearance Package, 3.5 EcoBoost, 3.55 gears, 53C Max Trailer Tow Package, Navigation, AirLift RideControl Air Bags w/Wireless Air Compressor, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Ford Bedrug Bedliner, DeeZee tailgate Assist Shock; towing a Grand Design 2800BH 32 foot Travel Trailer

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Jerryr, your correct on the corrosion stuff, take a look at my Vrod and you will see it is a never ending battle to keep the aluminum free from build up of corrosion. Plus if it gets under the coating, i.e. paint or even poor powder coating you can see a nice chalk build up. Screwed either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links