I come seeking help (seriously) - about to purchase a Ram 1500 ED

This is a discussion on I come seeking help (seriously) - about to purchase a Ram 1500 ED within the F150 Ecoboost vs The Competition forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; First I swear I'm not trolling, I am here asking for help/opinion/input. I have read the current EcoBoost vs Ram ED thread. Here's where I'm ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: I come seeking help (seriously) - about to purchase a Ram 1500 ED

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

First I swear I'm not trolling, I am here asking for help/opinion/input. I have read the current EcoBoost vs Ram ED thread. Here's where I'm at - I have a Ram ED on order, for discussion sake here's the essentials:

- crewcab bighorn, 3.0 diesel, 8 speed, 4x4 with 5'7" box, 3.92 rear axle, 20" wheels (ugh)
    - cloth, no moonroof, no bed liner/step up bars
    - payload rating, with my build is 1,220 lbs and tow rating of 8,700
    - rear camera, remote start, parking sensor front/back
    - for discussion sake, let's say my price is $44K

I just looked at a '14 F150 with EcoBoost - i don't have the exact trim level but here's what I do know

- super crewcab, EB with 3.73 rear axle, 20" wheels (dealer will let me swap to any 18" wheel on lot - i do NOT want 20"s, my choice just humor me on this)
    - luxury package so the loaded interior, nav, moonroof - hands down the interior will be much nicer than the Ram as i didn't get those options.
    - spray inliner, step bars, rear camera, etc
    - also on the door sticker for GVWR info, this vehicle listed 1199 payload capacity - this was not on the Manufacture sticker, it was on a ... 'add on' sticker that appears related to the upgraded 20" wheels with Pirelli tires - does anyone have any idea why it would be so low? looking at spec sheets, the payload for the 145" supercrew with EB should be 1660 lbs.
    - my price $48K

my reason for looking at the Ram ED was mainly the MPG and there's no question it is doing as advertised, with people getting easily 28-30mph highway (65mph).

my reason for now looking at the EcoBoost - its probably the better truck and i'm concerned about the ED's low HP (240). but i do NOT want to get back to a full size truck that is giving me 14mpg (i had a '11 tundra that i still have nightmares on filling up every week).

so i'm incredibly conflicted right now and really want to know what am i overlooking when i compare these models? i know there's a reason the F150 is the best selling vehicle in north america. i also have done my homework on the Ram ED, the VM Motori, the 8speed ZF transmission, they SHOULD be solid...but all it took was watching the "truck fast lane" ike gauntlet test and watching the F150 ecoboost haul a 10K trailer at 65mph and laugh at the climb.

help me out you EB guys and if at all possible, can you help me with actual data instead of "Ram sucks balls" or anything less than constructive whew thank you.
    Last edited by jeffjcalweb; 05-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    mikemetz82 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3644 times
    First off Rams DO suck ballz.

Are you going to use your truck as a truck, or a grocery getter? If it's a "truck" you are after, get the EB. If it's just cruising around time and helping a friend move a couch across town every once in a while, then ED is probably the answer.

Yeah you know me
    2013 Sterling Gray FX4 157", Appearance Package, Max Tow, 402a, 36 Gallon Tank, 103k miles.
    Mods: S&B intake, FR resonated exhaust, X4 with LET and MPT tunes, auxiliary backup lights.
    In garage: 170* tstat, AEM meth injection, FR CAC ( black anodized, red tial bov, throttle body spacer, meth bung), AMP powered steps, billet badges, aeroforce gauges w/vent pods.

Member #
    Liked
    2341 times
    Fyi....In that video the ecoboost wasn't even in tow/haul mode for awhile. Those guys annoy me with their stupidity and favoritism and general unprofessionalism
    And I agree with raider

And as far as mpgs....If you drive nicely everywhere, you can get 20 or more. I punch mine a lot and average 15. I get 22 at 60-65 hwy.
    2011 FX4 Screw 5.5 3.73s and 80k miles

Fired from the other forum......twice
    Last edited by ford4thot; 05-28-2014 at 03:03 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1543 times
    Welcome! So you have compiled a nice list of pros and cons essentially. You have to decide what weight to give each criteria to help in your decision as it relates to how you will actually use your truck.

1. MPG
    2. Towing capability
    3. Creature comforts/amenities
    4. Price
    5. Reliability
    6. performance (raw HP)

I have a loaded '13 Platinum that has 14.8 lifetime MPG over 25k miles. This is mostly short city trips. I do not tow or haul much, so that isn't as important to me now. I want a TT some day but not for at least 15 years. I had a slow,under powered SUV prior to this, so throw your head back power was very important to me and I realized I'd pay to play in the MPG criteria. Amenities were top of my list as well as the Platinum was my first choice. I am sacrificing some payload with all the options and some MPG as well.

If MPG is your main criteria I would get the Ram, since these trucks barely top 22-24 mpg. But what is a few MPGs in the grand scheme of things? I have yet to drive the Eco, so I can't really give you an opinion on it. When you factor in the price of diesel will you really be saving that much money to justify sacrificing the amenities and HP of the F150 over the life of your ownership?
    ford4thot and VolForLife like this.
    2018 XLT 302A Magnetic 2.7 SCAB 6.5

Member #
    Liked
    409 times
    The ram is going to get better mpg no matter what. But I'd say the ford is a close 2nd as far as full size half ton truck mpg. The ford will definitely have more power and be more enjoyable to push the skinny pedal. But if you just need something with good mpg and room to haul some stuff then the ram might be a good choice. If you're looking to tow without a struggle I'd say ecoboost.
    ford4thot likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    575 times
    i traded a '13 ram hemi sxt crewcab 5'7" box 4x4 for my '13 ecoboost lariat supercrew, and the difference in build quality is night and day, I did like my ram, it was a nice truck, but the quality of the ford is amazing comparitively.....the whole way it drives and feels, the way a button feels when pushed, the turn signal switches, everything...thickness of the sheet metal and resistance to dents, everything..... i'll never go back to the ram. one thing you will notice on the ram is that the headlights suck, you ever notice how all ram's seem to drive at night with their foglights on? well they have too, they aren't just being dicks because they own rams. I actually did get good fuel economy with my hemi, i was able to get 12.8L/100kms at 120km/h sometimes on my trip to edmonton from grande prairie, and i saw it as bad as 17l/100kms in a head wind. My ram was already having corrosion issues on the front bumper with 45,000kms on it in less than one year. It had alot of interior rattles especially if you turned up the stereo, which was the base stereo and it sucked. OH yeah, in the winter time with your heater on, the ram stereo couldn't be blasted at full tilt through one good song or you'd overhead the internal amplifier...wasn't so bad in the summer, but the heating ducts must have surrounded it, and pre-heated it near shutdown......

if you order your ram get anti-spin rear end.....ram's don't all come with this, but you need it, the traction in the winter even in 4wd sucks, this is a must have, i hated that i didn't have it in my last truck

the fuel mileage to empty guage in the ram never works properly, it might let you know when you are near empty, but when you fill up it always gives you some bull**** number, high or low and the entire time you drive it tries to adjust it, never to come close.... on top of that the ram forums are filled with people who cannot get their 8" screen audio system to properly work hardly at all

on top of that, the motor is made by vm mitori.......do you know or have known, or know any neighbor or friend who's known anyone who's ever heard of one, let alone had one? are you a huge believer in the fiat motor company? have you ever seen one of their cars or heard about them? personally i'd trust a hyundai diesel more....especially if you work it hard, or live up in northern canada where i do, where we break all the best stuff thats already designed for our climate

these ecoboosts get their bags driven off up here in the northern alberta oil patch, and i don't hear bad stories, i just see more of em on the road every year.....

oh yeah, i had to say one more thing, the traction control has 3 levels in the ram, but you can't completely defeat it like you can by turning off advance trac in the ford......this is a major downer on the fun scale if you know how to drive, or like to be a bit aggressive in the snow or down fast gravel roads, because once you get a bit sideways, that bastard turns itself right back on.........i hated it for that
    Last edited by mmateri; 05-28-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    thanks all for the feedback, all of it is worthwhile to someone who is struggling before signing the bottom line. obviously there is a bit of marketing here, but one thing that caught my eye in the showroom today was cross section cut outs of the frames; now i have no idea if they are current or showing the extremes or not ... but the F150 frame cross section was almost twice that of the Ram. so that to me would indicate a pretty substantial difference that can't be measured in just HP/MPG and probably shows up when talking payload or the feel when driving.

the VM Motori in use in the Ram isn't new, its only new in the US, combined with banks doing a almost 600HP build on essentially the same platform. i don't have any real issues with the VM design. i do have concern about such low HP for a 5500 truck.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks and i'll continue my reading before i sign anything!
    mikemetz82 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
    thanks all for the feedback, all of it is worthwhile to someone who is struggling before signing the bottom line. obviously there is a bit of marketing here, but one thing that caught my eye in the showroom today was cross section cut outs of the frames; now i have no idea if they are current or showing the extremes or not ... but the F150 frame cross section was almost twice that of the Ram. so that to me would indicate a pretty substantial difference that can't be measured in just HP/MPG and probably shows up when talking payload or the feel when driving.

the VM Motori in use in the Ram isn't new, its only new in the US, combined with banks doing a almost 600HP build on essentially the same platform. i don't have any real issues with the VM design. i do have concern about such low HP for a 5500 truck.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks and i'll continue my reading before i sign anything!
    Don't leave yet...I got a video to post. Let me find it

Member #
    Liked
    2341 times
    Strength of F-150 Backbone Gets Tested:

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    You'll want to look at F150's that have the "MAX TOW" option. This gets you up to #7700 GVWR. The F150 in your example is pretty loaded, so that takes away from the payload too.. I only have the XLT trim, but it's got enough electronic gizmos to keep my baffled for some time, and I've got the max tow and I'm at #1900 payload with mine..

It's all about the options and the GVWR and PAYLOAD package you get with the F150.. I've seen Platinums with as little as #850 of payload on them!!

There are probably a dozen different packages and most depend on other packages to get them, so you have to either pick what's off the lot or order what you specifically want..

Good luck!

Mitch
    2013 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XLT Max Tow 3.73 Egoboost. #7700 GVWR, #1920 payload. Bilstein 5100 shocks, PowerStop "Max Tow" brakes. Hellwig 2500 overload spings. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F, #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links