2019 Ram 1500 Classic

2019 Ram 1500 Classic

This is a discussion on 2019 Ram 1500 Classic within the F150 Ecoboost vs The Competition forums, part of the F150 Ecoboost Forum category; I was down in Houston and Texas City this week and, since National car rental is so awesome, they let me pick from the "Executive" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 2019 Ram 1500 Classic

Member #
    Liked
    1152 times

2019 Ram 1500 Classic

I was down in Houston and Texas City this week and, since National car rental is so awesome, they let me pick from the "Executive" aisle which consisted mostly of 2019 Ram 1500 classics(basically just the previous generation ram) and F150's. I decided to try the Ram 1500 since I own a 150. This one was a white, Big Horn, crew cab, short bed with 4x4, 20" wheels and the Hemi. It as fairly basic other than the 8.4" Uconnect screen on the dash. No heated seats, bed liners or anything like that, and it was a cloth interior with front bench seat.

Suspension: Overall I was pretty impressed with the truck. The suspension definitely rides better than any stock F150 I have been in and was probably as good, if not slightly better, than my truck with Bilstein 5100's. It was very controlled with little body roll or "chattering" when you hit bumps. It never got upset on mid-corner bumps like the F150 seems too.

Transmission: It was very nice. It never made me feel like it was in the wrong gear and even with the MDS switching between V4 and V8 mode, there was little to no hesitation when I did need power. This is Houston after all, so driving often involves scurrying around like a cockroach, hopping from lane to lane as no one seems to understand that the left lanes are for passing. Lots of quick sprints. It felt really good in this regard and quickly got the engine into the power band it needed. The one downside I found was that I couldn't seem to put it into manual mode. There were two shift buttons on the steering wheel but they only seemed to act like lock outs, similar to when you have the F150 in D and click the shift button down.

It had the rotary knob shifter on the dash. Some people hate this but i like it. I would much rather have the knob than a steering column shifter.

4x4: Shout out to Ram because, despite being on the lower end of their trims, this truck has 4Auto just like the Lariat and up F150's. I didn't use it, but my understanding is they use a Borg Warner transfer case just like the F150 so it should function that same.

Engine: The engine was solid. It had decent power and got the truck where it needed to go with little effort. It has the MDS feature where it will drop down to V4 mode under light load, and since Houston is about as flat as you can get, it spent a lot of time there. The engine was a little rough when in V4 mode but it seemed to have enough power to stay there cruising up to 75mph or so. Above that speed and it seemed like they just shut it off all together as I never saw it come on. Gas mileage was ok. I would say that it peaks about the same as my 2014 Ecoboost in the 21-22 mpg range under ideal conditions(65mph, flat, cruise control on). With that said though, it was doing much better at higher speeds than my boost could dream of. At 75-80mph it was still managing 19-20 mpg it seemed like. My boost will drop to 17-18 at those speed.

One odd thing I noticed is that it seemed to cruise more effortlessly at speed. At one point I was casually cruising along on 45 North from Texas City to Houston when I looked down and was doing 85 mph. I had no idea. In my boost, once I get above 75mph, it just seems irritated with me. There have been times when I was driving across WY with an 80 mph speed limit and went 75mph anyways just because it felt like the Ecoboost was annoyed. Part of this may be the gearing, I am not sure. The ZF 8 speed has a .64:1 8th vs my 6 speeds .691:1. That and I bet the rear end ratio was taller as well. I don't remember the engine ever touching 2000 rpm while just cruising even at 85mph.

The engine also ran fairly hot. I took the screen shot below after I had been cruising for 15 minutes on a completely straight and flat road at 65mph and that is where it settled. If I remember correctly, I believe FCA puts 205°F thermostats in the Hemi's:

My one big concern is altitude. The engine felt as strong as my ecoboost does, but Houston is at like 4’ of elevation. If I had this truck at my house at 6500’ i am willing to bet it would feel like a total dog.

Interior: The interior was lower trim(cloth, no heat), but overall it was nice. The drivers seat was comfy. I briefly sat in the back seat and, while there is less leg room than a F150 supercrew, there was enough that my knees were not touching and the seats were more comfortable than my 2014 Lariat, my buddies 2016 Lariat and my coworkers 2018 Platinum. The F150 rear seats are just flat boards where as the Ram seats had a bit of shape to them.

The nav screen was nice. It had Apple Carplay which was so awesome and I really didnt play with much else. The steering wheel control were a little odd but fine. The gauge cluster had a nice big screen even though it was a lower trim model.

It did have dual zone automatic climate control.

I am no Audiophile, but I would guess that the sound system on this lowly bighorn ourperformed my fancy Sony system in my Lariat. It certainly had a stouter bass.

Overall, I wouldn't be mad if I had to daily drive this truck instead of my F150 Lariat. I've said for a while now that I regret buying a Lariat because I just don't care much for the extra features. The Ram was a nice, intuitive, and easy to use interior. It looked pretty decent for a Big Horn level truck.

I would say that the base options on this outclass an XLT f150. I also feel like the xlt F150’s interior is more utilitarian/spartan feeling.

Utility: The deal killer for me is the payload capacity. As I mentioned, the truck was a fairly lightly optioned Big Horn. Aside from some wheel well liners and the nav screen, there wasn't a whole lot of creature comforts. Even in this trim the door sticker only gave a payload capacity of 1401 lbs. The truck had a GVWR of 6900 lbs and both axles were rated at 3900 lbs. This gives it a curb weight of 5500 lbs:

I recall test driving a very similar Big Horn Ecodiesel and it only had ~1200 lbs of payload lol.

Summary: It is a very nice truck. If you don't need the payload and don't care about the engine at altitude, I think it is a really good option. The hemi is no tuned ecoboost, but it does quite well when paired with the 8 speed. It is a solid combo.
    Last edited by mass-hole; 05-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Envious likes this.
    2014 Lariat Screw, 157", Max Tow, 502A - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, CRP Manifolds, RX Catch Can, Bilstein 5100, AirLift RideControl, 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD(diesel) - GDE Tune, Straight piped, AFE filter, GTB2060 custom build turbo, 2.5" Lift, ARB bumper, 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs F/R

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times
    2019 Classic... sounds like we built too many 2018s sitting on the factory lots and we'll re badge them classics and we will sell tons to the masses...

The real 2019 looks decent if its the sport model with color match other wise the chrome accents on the standard models look freaking terrible.
    2011 XLT Screw 6.5' Box, Tux Black, 4" BDS lift, 34" BFG KO2 tires, 18x8.5" +18 XD spy Wheels, PTM oem Flares. Rampage Slimline nerf bars. 5* Tuned 87 P/T.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I drove a similar Ram last year as a rental while my 16 F150 was getting some repairs, (the wife proved she was a bit rusty backing up our camper). It was very comparable to my XLT in trim and interior. Loved the sound of the hemi, and the smoothness of the drivetrain, but I'm an old school muscle car guy. But my F150 had a pretty significant advantage in mpg, and by the seat of the pants I think the F150 was as quick as the Ram.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F150EcoBoost.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If I wasn’t a Ford Guy, I’d buy the Dodge over the GM.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    3618 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    SAME!

But, I'd give the Toyota and Nissan half tons a hard look too.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
    GearHead_1 and Mr B like this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I’d give Toyota a shot but I’ve had a couple of Nissan’s over the years and wasn’t thrilled with anything about them. Always felt like they were under achievers. They were never top of the heap in any one category. Not the best HP, not the best mileage and certainly not a neck breaker in the looks department. It’s been a while since I’ve been in one but I can’t get past experiences out of my head. No offense to any of the Nissan owners on the forum.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    1091 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post

Just by looks alone!!!!!
    GearHead_1 likes this.

2013 F150 Supercrew Lariat+ | Kodiac Brown | 4X4 | 502A | Tow | 3.55 E-Locker | SCT X4 5* 93per/tow | Michelin Defender LTX M/S 285/60R20 | PowerStop slotted-drilled front and back rotors W/ Z36 pads | Bilsteins 5100's X4 |Hellwig rear Anti-Sway Bar | Firestone Ride-Rite Rear Airbags (5000) | Air Lift WirelessAIR On-Board Air Compressor (7200) | AMP Research Power Step | spray in bed liner | HID lights | full LED | aFePower diff. Cover | 3.0 door detent | DeeZee TGA | Retrax Pro Cover | Rugged Ridge FM | UPR Billet Emblems | aFePower 4"X12" black exhaust tip | OEM Rear Wheel Well Liners | Westin Contour bull bar | Rigid Industries D-Series D2 LED Lights | Trail Ridge Tow Mirrors | raptor grill lights | SnapRest armrest | TrailFX window vents/hood protector | 35% tint | My Build https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...-counting.html

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Definitely pick the Ram over the Chevy/GMC, Toyota and Nissan. The new GM trucks are underwhelming at the least. And both the Toyota and Nissan are lagging, they sell a small fraction compared the the big 3 and are a generation behind.
    GearHead_1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Kind of wishing I bought the Ram Rebel instead of this FX4.
    2016 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 2.7L

Gold Member

Member #
    Liked
    329 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbabiker View Post
    Kind of wishing I bought the Ram Rebel instead of this FX4.
    Banned

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    GearHead_1, Kinguni and Bratman2 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links