F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! Figured I’d start my own build thread finally. So, here’s what we’ve got so far.

‘19 Magma Red XLT SCSB, bought with 25k miles.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Performance:
SCT BDX Tuner
Originally tuned on 5*, don’t recommend.
Ran their 87 and E30 tune for a while. More on that in another post in performance, called 5* issues.
Now, running MPT E50, so much better.
K&N drop in filter
SPD Downpipe
Resonator delete
Ported stock turbo adapters

so far, I’ve added a few accessories:
$99 Amazon Tonneau cover(GREAT deal, good quality)
$69 Tailgate steps(really helps with the in and out)
Husky Liner floor mats for the front

ON THE WAY!!!
DW400 pump
FIC1000 port injectors
4” MBRP exhaust(going to get either a Vibrant ultra quiet or a Flo Pro Twister resonator to quiet it down)

I’m so excited to be switching to E85. I’m hoping to eventually make the truck the fastest Ecoboost around. Figure a set of big turbos, built motor, and a good E85 tune will be enough to set records. That’ll be down the line though. For now, I just want a fast, reliable daily.

here are some more pics:
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tire Wood Gas Motor vehicle Metalworking

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Rim Motor vehicle

Audio equipment Gas Auto part Circle Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas

Automotive tire Fluid Water Gas Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Welcome fellow Magma Red owner

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,062 Posts
Love it! Nice truck and can’t wait to see everything you’re gonna do to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my FIC1000’s, MBRP 4”, and DW400 in!

after installing the MBRP 4”, it’s a like/dislike. Pretty loud, TONS of drone…but cool sound. I’d even say it sounds just like a diesel on decel with lots of turbo noise. I’ll be buying an FTE diesel 4x30” twister resonator to quiet it down.

I painted my running boards with Bedliner, they look factory good. Just took off all the plastic trim,sanded the chrome, primed, and painted.

the MPTE50 tune is great, can’t wait to get on E85 though. Sick of mixing without an E gauge. Plus I have a drum and pump at my house so that makes fueling super convenient.

hopefully will get everything installed this week.

anybody know if you need tuning changes for the DW400 pump? It’d be easier to throw that in one day, then injectors another.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
355 Posts
My uneducated guess is that you could run fine with the dw400 before tuning updates. The pump will just be providing more pressure than requested, and recirculating more. There might be a code thrown, but I don’t know..

You definitely need to get tune updates to take advantage of the increase pressure, but I bet it runs fine as is.

thats been one of my frustrations with certain tuners, I’ll ask if the truck will run ok with a certain change and they’ll just respond that I need a new tune… I just want to know if I can safely run something until the time when Im ready for tune revisions.

save your OEM exhaust.. don’t scrap it like I did..

the innovate gauge/sensor is great, no more guessing on whats in the tank. I just calculate the mix of what I’m adding to match what I have already. Brew City Boost sells a kit that makes the install really easy.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

after installing the MBRP 4”, it’s a like/dislike. Pretty loud, TONS of drone…but cool sound. I’d even say it sounds just like a diesel on decel with lots of turbo noise. I’ll be buying an FTE diesel 4x30” twister resonator to quiet it down.

I painted my running boards with Bedliner, they look factory good. Just took off all the plastic trim,sanded the chrome, primed, and painted.

the MPTE50 tune is great, can’t wait to get on E85 though. Sick of mixing without an E gauge. Plus I have a drum and pump at my house so that makes fueling super convenient.

anybody know if you need tuning changes for the DW400 pump? It’d be easier to throw that in one day, then injectors another.
Yup mixing can be a pain for sure......

Reactions: JaBoogedy

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
34 Posts

You’ll need to adjust the tune for the new pump and fuel injectors. That’s really important because the engine computer bases its fuel, spark, and airflow calculations on those specs. Regarding E85, I have seen Ethanol content vary widely. It would not hurt to test the fuel to verify the %. The tune will need to be adjusted for the %.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’ll need to adjust the tune for the new pump and fuel injectors. That’s really important because the engine computer bases its fuel, spark, and airflow calculations on those specs. Regarding E85, I have seen Ethanol content vary widely. It would not hurt to test the fuel to verify the %. The tune will need to be adjusted for the %.
I understand I’ll have to tune for injectors, my question is more about installing the LPFP one day, driving it like normal, and then installing injectors and tune the next so I don’t have to do everything in one day.

I normally test my E at the pump, and then run a calculation to get my percentage. I just don’t retest fuel in tank. I’ve never had problems with fuel trims, knock, or OAR so I’ve assumed they’ve been on point, and theECU should be able to adjust from e45-e55 if it’s an e50 tune.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
355 Posts
Tuned daily driver issues.

I’m interested in the answer too, my post was just a wild guess, in no way am I an expert. I’m not planning fuel pump/injector upgrades now but you never know!

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
34 Posts
For the benefit of others reading this post who may not be familiar with the topic, the LPFP (Low Pressure Fuel Pump) is the pump that is submerged in the fuel tank. There is also a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) that supplies fuel to the injectors via the fuel rail. These pumps are variable and the operating parameters can be changed with tuning, but stock at WOT the HPFP runs around 3,000 psi and LPFP around 70 psi. That's for Gen II 2.7L and 3.5L, Gen I is lower.
Things to check when upgrading a LPFP:
1. Tuning parameters - Flow/amps/voltage/pressure, these may need to be adjusted in the tune. The fuel pump manufacturer should provide those parameters. DW has this info on their website.
2. Mechanical - If the pump is physically larger, you may need to modify the carrier in the tank
3. Electrical - If the pump draws more Amps, you may need to upgrade the size of the wire feeding the pump and change the fuse to a larger one. Some pumps have external controllers and may need adapters to interface with the stock wiring harness (not plug and play). Consult with a mechanic and/or the manufacturer for recommended wiring.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Whats your E85 drum and pump setup look like? I am thinking about doing this as well, since I discovered there is an E85 station about 50 minutes from my house now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the benefit of others reading this post who may not be familiar with the topic, the LPFP (Low Pressure Fuel Pump) is the pump that is submerged in the fuel tank. There is also a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) that supplies fuel to the injectors via the fuel rail. These pumps are variable and the operating parameters can be changed with tuning, but stock at WOT the HPFP runs around 3,000 psi and LPFP around 70 psi. That's for Gen II 2.7L and 3.5L, Gen I is lower.
Things to check when upgrading a LPFP:
1. Tuning parameters - Flow/amps/voltage/pressure, these may need to be adjusted in the tune. The fuel pump manufacturer should provide those parameters. DW has this info on their website.
2. Mechanical - If the pump is physically larger, you may need to modify the carrier in the tank
3. Electrical - If the pump draws more Amps, you may need to upgrade the size of the wire feeding the pump and change the fuse to a larger one. Some pumps have external controllers and may need adapters to interface with the stock wiring harness (not plug and play). Consult with a mechanic and/or the manufacturer for recommended wiring.
Hope that helps!
Probably a stupid question, but can you run aftermarket hpfp, lpfp, turbos, and basic bolt ons on the trucks stock tune? I'm basically just wondering if you can temporarily swap back to the stock tune for when the truck is taken into the dealer for servicing etc...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably a stupid question, but can you run aftermarket hpfp, lpfp, turbos, and basic bolt ons on the trucks stock tune? I'm basically just wondering if you can temporarily swap back to the stock tune for when the truck is taken into the dealer for servicing etc...
I was told the truck would run, but run badly on the injectors. Turbo, LPFP, and others aren’t an issue. Not sure about HPFP.

MPT themselves said I could swap the DW400 in with no tuning changes. Did it in 2 1/2 hours or so by myself. Unfortunately the stupid Venturi hose was too small..hoping I won’t have an issue down the road.

I’ll post my E barrel setup later. It’s honestly worth it for me. I love being able to fill up at home.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
The HPFP would be an issue. XtremeDI has the parameters that need to be changed in the tune to get it to run right, but they wont hand them out to just anyone, you have to be a legit tuner. I am not even sure the truck would start on the stock tune, nevermind drive.

Port injectors would also be an issue I imagine without their slope being tweaked in the tune. They would be injecting too much fuel, but the truck would have no idea if the excess fuel was from DI or PI injectors and would probably cut back both using the fuel trims. It might not be good, and would probably lead to knock if you got on it too hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The HPFP would be an issue. XtremeDI has the parameters that need to be changed in the tune to get it to run right, but they wont hand them out to just anyone, you have to be a legit tuner. I am not even sure the truck would start on the stock tune, nevermind drive.

Port injectors would also be an issue I imagine without their slope being tweaked in the tune. They would be injecting too much fuel, but the truck would have no idea if the excess fuel was from DI or PI injectors and would probably cut back both using the fuel trims. It might not be good, and would probably lead to knock if you got on it too hard.
Thanks for all the info! I'll take it as the reason not to do any fueling mods until my warranty is up

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fluid Gas Machine Cylinder Paint
@mass-hole here is my E85 drum. I got a cheap diesel pump from Amazon and used some black steel pipe to plumb it together and make a siphon tube. It works pretty well until the barrel gets almost empty, at which point I have to take my air compressor and blast the vent with some air to get it to siphon. I’d definitely recommend a legit gas pump made for drums if you can afford. Or for cheap, I’d just go with one of the kits with the hose you dunk in for $100.

overall, I think it’s worthwhile and easy enough. I’ll fill up my tank and fill up the drum and that’s 2.5 more fill ups. I’m thinking of driving to NY with 2 barrels and picking up some E85 for $2.69 a gallon to maximize savings too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another update. I just can’t say enough how awesome @More Power Tuning has been!

I purchased rush my tunes, but wasn’t expecting a response within 12 hours every time! I’ll send logs the night before, tune update with paragraphs answering all my questions and actually having a discussion are returned by the end of day.

I made the wrong decision on shift points which set me back a revision, but should be receiving my E85 tune this week and will be throwing in the injectors! Very excited.

I can’t recommend them enough. So happy with my tunes and service. Loading up V3 now, will update with how things go!

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,062 Posts
Another update. I just can’t say enough how awesome @More Power Tuning has been!

I purchased rush my tunes, but wasn’t expecting a response within 12 hours every time! I’ll send logs the night before, tune update with paragraphs answering all my questions and actually having a discussion are returned by the end of day.

I made the wrong decision on shift points which set me back a revision, but should be receiving my E85 tune this week and will be throwing in the injectors! Very excited.

I can’t recommend them enough. So happy with my tunes and service. Loading up V3 now, will update with how things go!
When I get finalized tunes from Unleashed and BoostKing I’m gonna get some from MPT.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
When I get finalized tunes from Unleashed and BoostKing I’m gonna get some from MPT.
I have tried GH, 5*, BCB, livernois, Unleashed, Calibrated Power and BoostKing...... Not in the at order and between my 2015 3,5 and my current 19.... I have not tried MPT.... Go figure

Calibrated power was my 2nd favorite, right now Boostking leads it in all categories

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,062 Posts
I have tried GH, 5*, BCB, livernois, Unleashed, Calibrated Power and BoostKing...... Not in the at order and between my 2015 3,5 and my current 19.... I have not tried MPT.... Go figure

Calibrated power was my 2nd favorite, right now Boostking leads it in all categories
Interesting. So far I like Boost King best for sheer power, but I kinda like Torries trans tune a bit better. It seems it lugs less than Brett’s does. I’m very interested to see how MPT does. I think for me, three tuning companies is enough. I’m done now haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts