F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
My bad. I didn't know and I just couldn't figure out how you were even approaching any kind of limit, other than the pesky Cargo Capacity.

So yea, you are kinda in Mr. B territory and drilling down on every aspect of towing math to discover a bit more wiggle room.

Again, sorry about maybe getting your hopes up with bogus numbers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Well, he's still got 1500 more lbs of gcvwr left. I think he said he looked it up at 12.7.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
For greater accuracy, I put a small piece of measuring tape on the fender somewhere so I know I am taking measurements in the exact same spot. OP should also try and find a level location to do this at.
Yep, piece of tape on fender above the wheel well, with a line drawn across the tape as the spot to measure. Been trying to think of some place level. Neighbors are far apart, and none have concrete or asphalt driveways. Hell, nearest Walmart is 10 miles.

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
I'm lucky to have a nice flat spot of driveway that's level and long enough to juuuuuust barely accommodate each set of axles without a tire hanging off.

Shoot of you were close I'd say let's slap this Curt hitch on there and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I go to a nearby High School parking lot. The problem with some huge parking lots is they can have a slight grade to them to shed water in winter and some are so big it's hard to notice the grade. Not that it matters that much.

I pull about the same load, but mine is closer to 7K fully loaded. This is with a 3.5L I think this is asking a lot from a 2.7L. Are you planning more upgrades?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I just walked out and put my 3-foot level on the driveway incline. Hard bubble off level. Had to raise one end over an inch to get it centered. Where my RV is parked, it's fairly level, but only long enough to get back wheels of the truck on the level.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I go to a nearby High School parking lot. The problem with some huge parking lots is they can have a slight grade to them to shed water in winter and some are so big it's hard to notice the grade. Not that it matters that much.

I pull about the same load, but mine is closer to 7K fully loaded. This is with a 3.5L I think this is asking a lot from a 2.7L. Are you planning more upgrades?
I would like to get the WDH dialed in as good as possible first. Then I think I will go with upgrading the shocks, although I don't normally do much upgrading to my vehicles. This F150 is our only vehicle (perk of being retired?), and I want the ride as comfy as can be while still having no/minor issues towing. Yes, I want my cake and get to eat it too.

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
I don't personally think you're asking too much from the engine. I've towed up to maximum gcvwr (not a TT though) and the TT is around 6500 loaded up to camp. Unless it seems to make it poop the bed prematurely it does a good job with it for me.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
I would like to get the WDH dialed in as good as possible first. Then I think I will go with upgrading the shocks, although I don't normally do much upgrading to my vehicles. This F150 is our only vehicle (perk of being retired?), and I want the ride as comfy as can be while still having no/minor issues towing. Yes, I want my cake and get to eat it too.
I promise good shocks actually improve how the truck feels. Empty and loaded. Firmer, yes. But so much more composed over the bumps.
When the road is smooth, it doesn't matter which shock you have. It's still smooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which would be the single best bang-for-the-buck-for-towing-RV upgrade, new Bilstein 5100 shocks, or new tires with stiffer sidewall? Only rear, or all 4?

Currently all stock 2018 F150 SCrew, 2.7L, 2-wheel drive, 3.55 rear, 145" wheelbase, 6360 GVWR, 9900 GCWR, 7700 tow capacity, 1710 payload.

RV is 5497 UVW, 6995 GVWR, hitch weight 515. All numbers according to mfgr, not scaled at this time.

Thanks.

Hi,
I'd consider upgrading tires and shocks when its time to replace them. I did install Firestone "Ride Rite" airbags though and that made a huge difference. I'll never tow with a half ton without the airbags...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which would be the single best bang-for-the-buck-for-towing-RV upgrade, new Bilstein 5100 shocks, or new tires with stiffer sidewall? Only rear, or all 4?

Currently all stock 2018 F150 SCrew, 2.7L, 2-wheel drive, 3.55 rear, 145" wheelbase, 6360 GVWR, 9900 GCWR, 7700 tow capacity, 1710 payload.

RV is 5497 UVW, 6995 GVWR, hitch weight 515. All numbers according to mfgr, not scaled at this time.

Thanks.
To be honest with you I would do both and do all four. I have a set of Bilsteins (don't remember the model off hand) and I replaced the the stock Goodyear's with Cooper Discovery AT3's and I run them at about 50 psi. They wear dead even straight across and make a big difference in the ride with a trailer. I have a 2016 SCrew, 2.7l, shortbed 7500 tow, 1375 payload. My trailer brings my payload with two passengers to abt 1100 and the max trailer tow weight is abt 6200 with a full load of water. The truck rides well with a Blue Ox hitch and Firestone Ride-Rites. I am very happy with it. We have pulled our trailer from Idaho to Indiana and back and Idaho to Texas and back.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks.
Tires are almost always the best option, especially since you have the towing option on the truck. however, difficult to say because we don't know what tires are on the truck and how many miles. Last touch items are always a good bet. seating material, speakers in audio system, tires on cars/trucks/cycles.... always make everything better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hi,
I'd consider upgrading tires and shocks when its time to replace them. I did install Firestone "Ride Rite" airbags though and that made a huge difference. I'll never tow with a half ton without the airbags...
Thanks, don't really want to wait until it's a NEED. Still under 13,000 miles. Bought it mid-January, last 2018 on that dealer's lot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Tires are almost always the best option, especially since you have the towing option on the truck. however, difficult to say because we don't know what tires are on the truck and how many miles. Last touch items are always a good bet. seating material, speakers in audio system, tires on cars/trucks/cycles.... always make everything better.
Truck still has OEM, Hankook P-rated tires, with less than 13,000 miles, about 9 months old. It's our only vehicle (perk of being retired). Not going to bother with audio upgrades, as I am partially deaf from 30+ years of being around jet aircraft. LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Truck still has OEM, Hankook P-rated tires, with less than 13,000 miles, about 9 months old. It's our only vehicle (perk of being retired). Not going to bother with audio upgrades, as I am partially deaf from 30+ years of being around jet aircraft. LOL.
I walk by em with their gpu running almost every day. Fingers in my ears. Lol

Those Hankooks ended up being better tires than I expected. I kind of pitched a fit when I grabbed a new 2016 2.7 Sport and it didn't come with the oem Michelins. But about 30,000 miles in, I wasn't as unhappy as I had predicted.

I did tow with them substantially, but never heavy. Less than 5000lbs. But I don't think I would have stayed with them if I towed 7000+. In my opinion, on these Aluminum F150's, 7000lbs calls for addressing the Buick suspension components. :)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I felt the same way about Hankook. Having run several sets now I haven’t been disappointed. That said, if you want a great ride on the road I still think Michelin is the tire though Michelin does seem prone to cracking later in their life. Always check the date code on any new tires you buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll keep it simply and list the five upgrades that truly helped me.

1. WDH (love my blue ox sway pro)
2. Bilstein 5100s (wow!!!)
3. Intercooler upgrade (I have the afe)
4. Tune
5. Powerstop Z36 brake kit.

#1 upgrade was by far the blue ox sway pro hitch!!!!
IMG_20170906_183228.jpg

61 - 76 of 76 Posts