F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I hate to be that guy but i have a few questions regarding the 10 speed in my new to me 2018 f150 with the 3.5.

A few of you may remember i was having boost and surging issues with my 2013 3.5 a few months back. Long story short i ended up trading it for a 2018. Love the new truck, i hate the transmission.

I bought the truck with 3600 miles. Felt good on the test drive and didnt feel any issues until about a week after i started running it back and forth to work. Now im up to 5700 miles and i seem to have some issues

Everyone i see seems to love their 10 speeds and say how smooth it is. Mine is far from smooth. When my truck shifts from 1st to 3rd to 5th to 7th, i get this rocking back and forth sensation through the whole truck accelerates. Very annoying. Doesnt seem to matter if its hot or cold. Its not the delayed 3 to 5 shift when cold. It almost feels like the torque converter is constantly locking and unlocking so rapidly making the whole truck rock. Does anyone else notice that in theirs?

Second thing ive noticed is at very random times the whole truck will just shudder. Like so violently shudder it shakes all the mirrors in the truck. Surely this isnt normal right? It shudders both on and off the throttle and in every drive mode. Again not sure if that could be torque converter or maybe motor related as its more ramdom where the rocking motion is all the time.

Ive had it to the dealer once so far and they told me a update flash was applied but so far it has made no difference. Also preformed a kam reset with easy driving for a few hundred miles and yet still it rocks and shudders. Anything else i can do or ask the dealer to look into? Is there a way to get the dealer to maybe look onto the torque converter? Thanks guys. I really want to like the truck but the trans is really getting to me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,108 Posts
1-3-5-7

Sucks!

Sport mode is the new normal.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: docster

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
Yes. I call it "falling on its face" each time it skips a ratio.

In all fairness, I only experience it with that description if I'm driving leisurely, like a grandpa, if you will. (I AM a grandpa) However, in Ford's "normal" mode, if you accelerate aggressively enough, the shift will delay until higher in the rev range, OR it will actually not skip the gear.

Keep in mind that my transmission strategy is a tuned strategy. (GearHead and/or 5*) The aftermarket strategies do a fantastic job at the low hanging fruit that I feel Ford left on the table. The 10R80 hardware is magnificent. The OEM software, not so much. GearHead tuned 10r80 shifting strategy transforms that transmission. That's how this truck should shift!

Regardless, if this was yesteryear and Ford released the 10r80 but had to decide on NOT providing the owner multiple modes, there's no way they would have settled on what is currently the "Normal" mode. It wouldn't make sense. The so-called Normal mode treats the 10-speed like its a 6-speed. If you are going to have only one mode, it would be a 10-speed mode!

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
Note. "We" have several 10r80 F150's in the family fleet. My King Ranch is the only one tuned.

As much as I love it, I spend a fair amount of time in another truck. As long as I hit that button 5 times, each time I start the truck, I have no complaints with the untuned trucks shifting. But I despise the untuned Normal mode. In my opinion it luggs the 3.5EB motor, especially at cruising speeds.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
You just made me feel better about the 6 speed with a tune for upped shifting pressure. Some will think it harsh but I like it a bunch! About the most I have or expect to haul in a bed full of furniture or camping gear so no real weight moved about.KM

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note. "We" have several 10r80 F150's in the family fleet. My King Ranch is the only one tuned.

As much as I love it, I spend a fair amount of time in another truck. As long as I hit that button 5 times, each time I start the truck, I have no complaints with the untuned trucks shifting. But I despise the untuned Normal mode. In my opinion it luggs the 3.5EB motor, especially at cruising speeds.

I would love to tune mine, but am hesitant with my previous issues in my 13. The rocking i get isnt from the shifting, but rather after a shift. Like when the torque converter should be locking up. Its like a pulsating forward backwards rocking you in the seat motion always after a shift until 8th then it disappears completely. I like sport mode as well but unfortunately i get the same rocking motion in that mode as well. So im not sure mine is software related or something else.

I really noticed it this past weekend. I was slowing to make a sharp turn. As i accelerated out of the turn in 5th gear, it rocked back and forth through the whole rpm range until it shifted to 7th then 8th at which point it smoothed out. But my rpms and boost stay steady as this is happening so im not sure what to make of it

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
Rocks back and forth while going forward makes no sense. Is there any other way to describe it ? Pretty sure you are the first on here describing an issue as rocking back and forth.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rocks back and forth while going forward makes no sense. Is there any other way to describe it ? Pretty sure you are the first on here describing an issue as rocking back and forth.
I guess it is hard to explain. I guess best way to describe it is like your pushing the gas pedal extremely fast a bunch of times rather then just holding it stready. Instead of having smooth acceleration it basically feel like the truck accelerates some then lets off then reaccelerates, but in a very fast motion. When sitting in the seat it feels like i am rocking back and forth. Ive had it happen where my passengers noticed it as well

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
Your description is very different than my "fall on its face" complaint. And honestly, none of our 10-speed F150's exhibit what you describe.

I think you are describing a malady. Is it easy to duplicate? In other words, would a dealership be able to experience it with the pathetic effort that they often make troubleshooting?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your description is very different than my "fall on its face" complaint. And honestly, none of our 10-speed F150's exhibit what you describe.

I think you are describing a malady. Is it easy to duplicate? In other words, would a dealership be able to experience it with the pathetic effort that they often make troubleshooting?

Very easy to duplicate. Happens 98% of the time when accelerating from a stop. The extreme shudders i get are completely random and arnt duplicate able. I guess ill have to take a tech for a ride. I know ill get told its " a normal characteristic " but if no one else notices it with theirs it cant be then.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
Maybe this is what some describe as 'surging'.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
It's actually great news, if that's possible, that it is easily duplicated. Odds are, at some point an honest technician will have no reason to declare it's normal. Because it isn't.

I would try to be persuasive, of course, but not waste my time with someone that you can tell has they're mind made up.

One challenge is to simply ask to ride in another similar truck that does the same thing, since it's "normal"?

Edit: That is one advantage to having several of the same trucks in the family. Although each is different in its own ways, surprisingly more than you might expect, they are also similar enough to make it fairly easy to A<>B if you have a question about one.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
First I would’ve said throttle body is closing but then you mentioned boost doesn’t change....I would check trans fluid level. Also make sure they actually flashed to the latest strategy.

My wife’s ranger had that problem when crappy fuel was ran thru it. The truck was pulling a bunch of power during tip-in then smoothed out.

I was never a fan of Ford’s “skip shift” strategy. It’s really noticeable in my raptor and wife’s ranger. The tremor lugs also around town.

Keep in mind that the transmission takes about 1000 miles to learn your strategy. Even after that it’s still learning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's actually great news, if that's possible, that it is easily duplicated. Odds are, at some point an honest technician will have no reason to declare it's normal. Because it isn't.

I would try to be persuasive, of course, but not waste my time with someone that you can tell has they're mind made up.

One challenge is to simply ask to ride in another similar truck that does the same thing, since it's "normal"?

Edit: That is one advantage to having several of the same trucks in the family. Although each is different in its own ways, surprisingly more than you might expect, they are also similar enough to make it fairly easy to A<>B if you have a question about one.

Going to have to do this. I love the truck and all its new features over my 13. I just cant stand the way the transmission acts in this one. Im starting to believe maybe this is why the previous owner got out of it with only 3600 miles. Hoping its simple and hoping i didnt end up with a headache.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First I would’ve said throttle body is closing but then you mentioned boost doesn’t change....I would check trans fluid level. Also make sure they actually flashed to the latest strategy.

My wife’s ranger had that problem when crappy fuel was ran thru it. The truck was pulling a bunch of power during tip-in then smoothed out.

I was never a fan of Ford’s “skip shift” strategy. It’s really noticeable in my raptor and wife’s ranger. The tremor lugs also around town.
Yeah boost and rpms stay steady. Funny story on the trans fluid. I actually have a leak. Looks to be coming from the transmission and transfer case. Just a very small drop under the truck every morning about the size of a quarter. Thats how i got them to reprogram it in the first place (which i dont think they did). They told me they couldnt find where the leak was coming from and put a die in the fluid. Told me to run it for a few hundred miles then to take it back. So i will be going back at some point at which ill have a tech ride with me and show him what its doing. When i firsr mentioned it to the service writer he agreed it didnt sound right as he has a 19 and said his was smooth. When they called and told me to pick it up they said they had performed the flash and said it feels to be running better. I honestly think they just told me that to make me feel better. Lastnight it shuddered its worst that like i said the mirrors on the truck were shaking. Not something i would think would be "normal".

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
That doesn’t sound right at all. A tech needs to really look into it.

I highly recommend taking it to another dealer and/or trying to get someone there to reflash it. These trans ARE suppose to shift smooth. They’re not perfect but they should shift smooth.

It definitely sounds like they only cleared the Adaptive Trans tables hoping that would solve it.

·
Premium Member
9,108 Posts
It would actually make sense that the previous owner somehow got out of it for that reason. I always wonder about the extreme low mileage trucks that are occasionally available.

But I assume that helped you get a nice discount? And if so, then it'll be win-win when the issue gets resolved!

You just have to be tenacious and calm and see this through.

By the way, a lady friend of mine wanted "a truck like mine", which turned out to mean she wanted the same model with the same BIG tires and the same height. (which means she actually wanted a leveled F150 with 35's) Hilarious. She's literally a level-snob now.

Anyways, she rarely drives. In fact, I put most of the miles on it. So if it were for sale, it'd be a 2018 with little more than 6000 miles on it. So it would be one of those trucks. You'd wonder what was wrong with it? In this case nothing. In fact, even untuned, I swear it's the fastest and best running oem of the 5 3.5's I ride in.

Good luck with your quest

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That doesn’t sound right at all. A tech needs to really look into it.

I highly recommend taking it to another dealer and/or trying to get someone there to reflash it. These trans ARE suppose to shift smooth. They’re not perfect but they should shift smooth.

It definitely sounds like they only cleared the Adaptive Trans tables hoping that would solve it.
Kinda what i was thinking they did as well. Ill give them one more shot when it goes back for the leak, and see what they have to say then when i take a tech for a ride. If nothing good comes out of it, ill take it else where.

Its really disappointing honestly. I got out of my 13 thinking id be good to start over with something else, something with a warranty and here we go with the issues already it seems. Hope whatever it is will get ironed out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would actually make sense that the previous owner somehow got out of it for that reason. I always wonder about the extreme low mileage trucks that are occasionally available.

But I assume that helped you get a nice discount? And if so, then it'll be win-win when the issue gets resolved!

You just have to be tenacious and calm and see this through.

By the way, a lady friend of mine wanted "a truck like mine", which turned out to mean she wanted the same model with the same BIG tires and the same height. (which means she actually wanted a leveled F150 with 35's) Hilarious. She's literally a level-snob now.

Anyways, she rarely drives. In fact, I put most of the miles on it. So if it were for sale, it'd be a 2018 with little more than 6000 miles on it. So it would be one of those trucks. You'd wonder what was wrong with it? In this case nothing. In fact, even untuned, I swear it's the fastest and best running oem of the 5 3.5's I ride in.

Good luck with your quest

Thank you sir i greatly appreciate it. I did get a heck of a deal and was super happy because its the same identical truck to what my 13 was. Same package and options as what my 13 had so i was glad to be keeping the "same" truck just newer. I tested the theory of it being my tires as i run 34.5s, but still have the same noticeable issues on stocks as well. Hoping to get it figued out, just frustrating to get out of a problem and jump right back into a new problem. Atleast this one has a warranty so if something were to happen it would atleast be covered.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts