F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What exactly did the dealer do when you say the memory was "reset"?
They reset the kam. Basically clear all the memory the transmission had of how i drove so it would relearn again. Its said to help but it made no change on mine.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
21 Posts
They reset the kam. Basically clear all the memory the transmission had of how i drove so it would relearn again. Its said to help but it made no change on mine.
When they did that, at any point was the battery disconnected? Since nothing else seems to be working for you, and if the dealer did not disconnect the battery while doing the reset, I'd try disconnecting it for 12-24 hours so no power is going to anything. The dealer did a "reset" but maybe removing the power source would force some form of a "hard" reset? With the assumptions I'm making and the severity of your shift quality I'd at least give it a try. With electronics in general sometimes doing stuff like that will fix gremlins. Kind of like restarting a computer vs forcing it to shut down totally, and then powering it on (but first removing the battery completely). Assuming your problem is only software related, in that case, it would go into learning mode like it's supposed to (and the manual says you'll feel both smooth and firm shifts), but maybe if you do that and drive lightly over a period of time it'll finally exhibit smooth-shifting instead of being overly firm. :-/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
When they did that, at any point was the battery disconnected? Since nothing else seems to be working for you, and if the dealer did not disconnect the battery while doing the reset, I'd try disconnecting it for 12-24 hours so no power is going to anything. The dealer did a "reset" but maybe removing the power source would force some form of a "hard" reset? With the assumptions I'm making and the severity of your shift quality I'd at least give it a try. With electronics in general sometimes doing stuff like that will fix gremlins. Kind of like restarting a computer vs forcing it to shut down totally, and then powering it on (but first removing the battery completely). Assuming your problem is only software related, in that case, it would go into learning mode like it's supposed to (and the manual says you'll feel both smooth and firm shifts), but maybe if you do that and drive lightly over a period of time it'll finally exhibit smooth-shifting instead of being overly firm. :-/
I greatly appreciate the advice but unfortunately ive already tried that myself as well. That made no difference. The only thing that has helped the slightest, still not enough to totally fix the issue, was adding transmission fluid. It might've been a quarter of a quart i added, and i immediately noticed i no longer get the extreme delayed 3-4 or 3-5 shift when cold. But thats the only improvement ive noticed.

I still get hard shifts, like i said 9 times out of 10 i get a harsh 4-3 downshift pulling into my driveway every day. And 7th has began to get more harsh over the past few weeks.

Ive had it slam so hard into drive one day it pushed the truck through the brakes, and ive had it downshift from 9th to 6th so hard it triggered the traction control. I really feel this is more then just a software issue. And honestly if this is how its going to be, i want out of it. I will gladly go back to a 6 speed any day of the week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Defhd10,

ive got an ‘18 and have had some go-rounds with the trans. My upshifts out of 3, to either 4 or 5, were clumsy every time. Sometimes it’d miss entirely and just give up and spin as if neutral. i tried messing with the fluids, because if felt like a Valve was sticking mid shift, hurting the shift timing. I swapped in 6 quarts of amsoil, which helped some things and hurt others. So then a swapped a few more quarts of Valvoline ULV. That combo worked slightly better. The dealer then did a reset and it’s improved from what it was, but is still a little clumsy.

im very curious if the additive package in the transmission fluid is not robust enough for some o-ring or sliding surface in the valve body. I’m not saying you should, but if i go through this again, I will likely consider an additive such as lubeguard red or lubeguard platinum. It doesn’t take much of that stuff to make a difference; ive learned in the past to only add 1-2 ounces at a time and see how it does.

-m

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,108 Posts
I'm convinced that there's a considerable variance possible from one 10r80 shifting characteristics and another. The more I learn about them, the less I'm surprised by that. Add to that the personal experience of how much influence software tuning has on one, it's not surprising that all 10r80's do not behave alike.

Because of that, if I wasn't happy with some attribute of mine, I'd be optimistic that it could be improved. Maybe even dramatically.

If tuning couldn't dial it in, the next attempt would be trying fluids, since it does seem to be sensitive to them. And if tuning/fluids didn't prove to have a substantial influence, I'd suspect the valve body having some snag and swap it out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My truck was an early 2018 build. Mine would also do the shift into 2nd and act like it was in neutral when cold, say below 40 degrees first thing in the morning. They flashed mine with the latest soft ware and suppose to have done the KAM reset. Weird thing is they claimed mine was a quart low on the fluid also. I have no leaks. Came from factory low??? The KAM reset is a convoluted process. You just have to google it and see what is all involved. I am pretty sure they did do the reset as my gas mileage display had plummeted from what was showing when I left my truck. It seems to do much better now. But truthfully mine shifted good anyways except for cold and first shift. I wish you luck! I love my 2018 2.7L.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm convinced that there's a considerable variance possible from one 10r80 shifting characteristics and another. The more I learn about them, the less I'm surprised by that. Add to that the personal experience of how much influence software tuning has on one, it's not surprising that all 10r80's do not behave alike.

Because of that, if I wasn't happy with some attribute of mine, I'd be optimistic that it could be improved. Maybe even dramatically.

If tuning couldn't dial it in, the next attempt would be trying fluids, since it does seem to be sensitive to them. And if tuning/fluids didn't prove to have a substantial influence, I'd suspect the valve body having some snag and swap it out.
Snake, you may have said before, i cant remember, but who are you tuned by and what device are you using? I really wasnt wanting to tune this truck, but its getting the best of me not knowing if maybe most of my quirks could be resolved with tuning. Shudders are still there from time to time, but not as pronounced as before. Seems like im still getting a good bit of clunking and harsh shifts, almost always 4 to 3. I havent pulled a trailer all winter, so not sure how bad those shudders still are. Im hopeful a tune would help the crappy torque converter lockup in the low 3 to 6 gears. It literally feels like a rubber band as its running up through those gears. Still undecided, but considering tuning more and more.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,108 Posts
The tune would absolutely adjust the shifting strategy to whatever you requested it to be. It's literally a software driven strategy carried out by mechanical actuation.

If adjusting the software parameters didn't or couldn't change a particular shift, like 4>5, then that might indicate that the hardware was not performing as it should and you'd have more assurance that the part swap is necessary.

I'm guessing you could request transmission tuning only? I have both 5* and GearHead tunes. And although 5* is more than capable of tuning your transmission as GearHead, GearHead is probably appreciated for his transmission tuning as much or more as his engine tuning.

I have the Ngauge.

You'd have to ask yourself if you would be happy as a hog in slop if you suddenly loved your 10r80 after spending $400-600?

The range is based on possibly finding a used unmarried Ngauge (or similar) and a tune with some revisions based on your feedback.

Edit: keep in mind that I am only guessing, but even on stock tune I don't think you would consider my 10r80 as shifting the way yours does. I admit that I don't like the skipping of gears that normal mode does, nor the lugging RPM that it seems to think is fine, but in Sport mode I have absolutely fantastic shifting even untuned. Although when cold, the 1-2 shift can be harsh compared.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The tune would absolutely adjust the shifting strategy to whatever you requested it to be. It's literally a software driven strategy carried out by mechanical actuation.

If adjusting the software parameters didn't or couldn't change a particular shift, like 4>5, then that might indicate that the hardware was not performing as it should and you'd have more assurance that the part swap is necessary.

I'm guessing you could request transmission tuning only? I have both 5* and GearHead tunes. And although 5* is more than capable of tuning your transmission as GearHead, GearHead is probably appreciated for his transmission tuning as much or more as his engine tuning.

I have the Ngauge.

You'd have to ask yourself if you would be happy as a hog in slop if you suddenly loved your 10r80 after spending $400-600?

The range is based on possibly finding a used unmarried Ngauge (or similar) and a tune with some revisions based on your feedback.

Edit: keep in mind that I am only guessing, but even on stock tune I don't think you would consider my 10r80 as shifting the way yours does. I admit that I don't like the skipping of gears that normal mode does, nor the lugging RPM that it seems to think is fine, but in Sport mode I have absolutely fantastic shifting even untuned. Although when cold, the 1-2 shift can be harsh compared.
Thank you for the reply! I would be so thrilled and absolutely in love with this thing if i could get all the quirks of this 10 speed refined. i really do like the truck overall, just hate the inconsistency of the way it shifts/drives.

So in regards to the ngauge, i really would like to go with that device, however after seeing that it is now discontinued, im afraid to go that route. 5 star even has it listed on their site that remaining devices will be vin locked. I would really hate to spend the money just for it to be a paper weight when the truck is traded, and i havent found any used ones the last time i looked. I guess i will be going the sct route.

I do hate normal mode in mine as well, the skip shifts are super lazy and always wants to be in too high of gear. Sport mode is very jerky and if not more clunky then normal mode as well. The shudders however happen in every mode when they do decide to happen. Thats the number one thing that worries me about tuning, is having same issues persist even after. I guess its a gamble im going to have to take.

I plan on going the 5 star route, because of how well everyone seems to like their tunes, and why not get some exta power as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may need to start a new thread here, but...

i am not a fan of additives but reported somewhere near here i tried amsoil fluid, then valvoline ulv. Dealer did a kam reset which helped some. Last weekend i poured about 2oz of lubeguard red into the trans, and its the best its driven. Typical dose would be 12oz so im trying to stay bare minimal. By the end of a 15 minute drive, i could no longer perceive the upshift from 3rd. Maybe others would find this helpful.

-m

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Been awhile since i last updated this. Happy to say i finally solved all my 10 speed issues about 3 months ago. Found this awesome 1 owner 2016 3.5 max tow 6 speed. No more hard shifts, no more shuddering, no more getting thrown into the steering wheel on the first shift of the day, no more annoying azz wastegate rattle. Just smooth as it should be. This thing tows my trailer better then the 10 speed ever did. May have stepped back a few years, but i went up a trim level and dropped my payment. Very happy.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
View attachment 172708 Been awhile since i last updated this. Happy to say i finally solved all my 10 speed issues about 3 months ago. Found this awesome 1 owner 2016 3.5 max tow 6 speed. No more hard shifts, no more shuddering, no more getting thrown into the steering wheel on the first shift of the day, no more annoying azz wastegate rattle. Just smooth as it should be. This thing tows my trailer better then the 10 speed ever did. May have stepped back a few years, but i went up a trim level and dropped my payment. Very happy.
That’s a good looking 2016. Glad you stuck with the ecoboost family.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts