F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering the gear ratios and here they are.

Font Parallel Number Document

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
To me it would make sense to do dyno runs in 4th with 6R80 and 7th with 10R80 but maybe it depends on axle ratio ?

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder how much it affects your numbers, running in 3rd gear versus 4th and then considering your gear ratio.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,760 Posts
Yes, but not on a hub dyno.
The rotational speed will be near the same probably higher for the hub mount. All that spinning mass can be scary.
An engine dyno eliminates all but the engine power numbers, hub adds in transmission variation plus gearing in the drive axle, chassis adds all that and the total gearing (tire weight and diameter) traction variables. KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,154 Posts
I admit that on the two dynos I strapped my truck on it made me queasy being near it during the multiple runs.
I couldn't help but sense just how much potential I was witnessing, that only the straps were holding in check.
Borders on pure mechanical violence!

Looking at Matt sitting totally relaxed in the cockpit while staring at his laptop like he was on a Sunday drive....... I'm such a sissy.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Indeed! I’m easily running 90 mph at 3 to 4 shift if WOT
Yeah, I passed a cop right around the time I was shifting to 4th in a 55mph zone.

I believe she clocked me at 98 with my 35's :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
I wonder how much it affects your numbers, running in 3rd gear versus 4th and then considering your gear ratio.
It would affect it some because the engine is accelerating the mass of the driveline at a greater rate. So its having to fight the mass of all of that stuff.

• Helpful

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Indeed! I’m easily running 90 mph at 3 to 4 shift if WOT
You must have 3.73 axles. At WOT, mine stays in 3rd til speed limiter around 107. 3.55.

Reactions: Upshifter

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I did get to see a Mustang jump off the rollers in a shop. Odd how quickly the engine and mass decelerated to a stop when hitting a stationary surface. No incured dammage except in some pants! KM

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
You must have 3.73 axles. At WOT, mine stays in 3rd til speed limiter around 107. 3.55.
Yup, with a 32 inch tire and 3.73 gear and 6 speed, I'm at 5700 RPM in 3rd just shifting into 4th at 95 MPH. KM

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was shocked at the dyno results, the 3rd gear pull hit 116mph, I didn't even know my truck would go 116...then I looked at my rating on my tires and it's 99....living on the edge. Gears are 3.31 but the low end torque on these trucks really hides the gearing disadvantage. If I hadn't spent all my money on my engine I would definitely be gear shopping right now, prolly after the wedding, everything I have left plus probably what I make for about 5 months will be covering that tab:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I was shocked at the dyno results, the 3rd gear pull hit 116mph, I didn't even know my truck would go 116...then I looked at my rating on my tires and it's 99....living on the edge. Gears are 3.31 but the low end torque on these trucks really hides the gearing disadvantage. If I hadn't spent all my money on my engine I would definitely be gear shopping right now, prolly after the wedding, everything I have left plus probably what I make for about 5 months will be covering that tab:rolleyes:
3.73 is what you need.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
533 Posts
103 mpg on the 3-4 for me with 3:55’s and 33’s on the ol 6 shooter. Raised redline too.

Was troubleshooting some transmission issues and tuner wanted to load some 3-4 WOT shifts.

I was like… I just can’t.

Finally found a looong on ramp with highway dividers on both sides where I could get up there and back down to 75 mph by the time I met traffic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts