F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the stage 2 AFE Air Intake? The power claims are impressive! aFe is claiming 33 HP & 34 lbs x ft Torque but somehow I doubt that much power can had from just an intake. Any thoughts? Anyone have first hand experience installing it?

Air intake part Product Auto part

Reactions: Econoob
Not a fan of AFE at all. Thin media is all that is required to flow more air for power numbers but only adds to how much dirt your sucking into the motor (especially in a turbocharged application). I am running the Airaid Synthamax intake system and love it! Dry flow media so there is no oiling involved (though the oiled units will will filter slightly more dirt when new and clean). It is a 5 layer filter with no upcharge in price like AFE. The fit and finish of the product is excellent and they are US made. I purchased mine at Chux Trux (Chux Trux - Kansas City's leading truck accessory retailer.) and have since put Airaids on everything I own. Just my two cents...

Attachments

I just installed a AFE Stage 2 and LOVE IT. Parts quality is top notch and install was a breeze, I think it took me maybe 30 minutes start to finish. I will warn that you will have MUCH MORE intake noise and turbo whistle once this is installed, if you’re not a fan of that then this intake is not for you.

As far as the concerns of oiled high-flow filters in turbo charged applications, I have been running them for years in gas and diesel (60+psi) turbo applications and have never had an issue with turbo longevity. They are not maintenance free so you do have to take care of them but as long as you clean and re-oil them (NOT TO MUCH OIL) you will have no issues.

Here's a few pictures installed.
Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

Discussion starter · #10 ·
That intake sure looks beefy when installed. How is the performance? Is it noticeable? How about fuel mileage?

I just installed a AFE Stage 2 and LOVE IT. Parts quality is top notch and install was a breeze, I think it took me maybe 30 minutes start to finish. I will warn that you will have MUCH MORE intake noise and turbo whistle once this is installed, if you’re not a fan of that then this intake is not for you.
hmmm really i will consider this one now

That intake sure looks beefy when installed. How is the performance? Is it noticeable? How about fuel mileage?
Well I installed a SCT tuner at the same time i did the intake so needless to say there was a huge performance increase combining the two. As far as mileage goes, it has gone down some but i contribute that to me not being able to keep my foot out of it!

Well I installed a SCT tuner at the same time i did the intake so needless to say there was a huge performance increase combining the two. As far as mileage goes, it has gone down some but i contribute that to me not being able to keep my foot out of it!
Were you concerned about warranty implications with either of the above changes? (And change your sig file now - it's outta date! ;) )

I took my truck to the main dealer for it's first service yesterday - decent guys, and (I think) sound advice: their take is: add a CAI if you want, if there are any potential warranty claim issues 'under the hood', then (since I bought the truck from them) be sure to have the OEM CAI in the bed of the truck at the time of all/any services, just in case they need to send pics for warranty claims to Ford (they'll change it out for any pics).

I didn't ask them about tuners, but they did suggest leaving cat-back exhausts until post-warranty, unless I wanted to change it before each service (or pay them to un/reinstall, again, in the event that pics for warranty purposes are required)

Just interested to hear your take, and that of any others in this regard. My personal take? You just can't put enough fresh cold air into a combustion engine , so I can't wait to add one - but I'd also be interested to hear whether anyone has had a dealer cause them warranty claim issues because of a CAI (sorry - not trying to thread-jack... if this should be a separate thread then just say!)

Have the same intake on mine with SCT tuner and MBRP 3.5" exhaust the total increase in power was very nice! Below I have posted a break down of step by step dyno pulls we made on a DynoJet dyno at my friends shop (air temp 85F)..... A+++! Drives better than new and I LOVE all the new found tire eating torque! Very few n/a V8's can hit these torque #'s with the same mods lol! Have put over 7000mi after mods with zero problems, MPG stayed the same only down side is you have to run 93oct however you can take the tune off and turn back to stock in 15min so no big deal. As for the exhaust I have had many people tell me they like the way the MBRP sounds and I feel it does a nice job of giving the exhaust a nice deep sound without sounding over the top or boy racer... good stuff!

Stock Dyno #'s - 306WHP/348TQ (Not bad for stock with paper air filter)
AFE Intake + MBRP exhaust - 323WHP/369TQ increase of (17WHP/21TQ over stock)
AFE+MBRP+SCT ( Standard 93 octane tune) - 340WHP/425TQ! Total increase of 34WHP/77TQ...

Have the same intake on mine with SCT tuner and MBRP 3.5" exhaust the total increase in power was very nice! Below I have posted a break down of step by step dyno pulls we made on a DynoJet dyno at my friends shop (air temp 85F)..... A+++! Drives better than new and I LOVE all the new found tire eating torque! Very few n/a V8's can hit these torque #'s with the same mods lol! Have put over 7000mi after mods with zero problems, MPG stayed the same only down side is you have to run 93oct however you can take the tune off and turn back to stock in 15min so no big deal. As for the exhaust I have had many people tell me they like the way the MBRP sounds and I feel it does a nice job of giving the exhaust a nice deep sound without sounding over the top or boy racer... good stuff!

Stock Dyno #'s - 306WHP/348TQ (Not bad for stock with paper air filter)
AFE Intake + MBRP exhaust - 323WHP/369TQ increase of (17WHP/21TQ over stock)
AFE+MBRP+SCT (93 octane tune) - 340WHP/425TQ! Total increase of 34WHP/77TQ...

Great write up! If you dont mind me asking were you using the "canned" 93 tune that comes on the SCT or was it a custom 93 tune on the dyno?

Guys, I have been looking at a number of mods and tripped across this Utube video "Cold Air Intake Mythbusted" done by Mighty Car Mods. I do not know how to link it, but you may want to watch it. From what I have read they make some valid points. Hope it helps. I must admit the AFE is probably the meanest looking kit out there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.