F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on the verge of buying some 20" hollywood wheels with nitto grapplers but I wasn't sure how the black on white would look. Had a free day today so I decided to pick up some plasti dip and do the wheels and emblems on the truck. I had a good time hanging out in my garage today doing it and I think it looks great. I may hold off on the new wheels and tires now. It was getting dark so I'll get some more pics tomorrow...
Before...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384647202.915592.jpg
After
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384647231.943095.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384647244.534558.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384647260.067026.jpg

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like it. I like black wheels. With pretty much any color but nice thing about white is you can go chrome or black and still looks good. Sets the truck apart a Lil bit from other ones

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks amazing. How difficult is it to apply the plastic dip?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Its very easy, i masked the ford logo and the valve stem and sprayed 4 coats on each wheels. I did fronts and then backs by putting the truck on jack stands. Waited 15 minutes between coats, and in between dry times I masked off a different emblem and painted those also. Spent $30 on 4 cans and a spray can holder/nozzle which snaps onto the can for easier spraying. I still have a can and a half left. I spent about 3.5 hours taking my time. Don't mask the tires just spray away, when your done the plasti dip will pull right off the tires in one piece and then there is no cleanup. First coat is very thin and just creating the bonding layer. The 2-4th coat are thicker and cover everything well. Very easy. I also painted my lug nuts with a satin black krylon, and then hit them with some plasti dip after the tires were back on to match the texture.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You may want to take it down and have the balance rechecked.
I'd almost bet it is out enough to effect wear.
The rims do look good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am glad to see this post. I am offshore right now and will be heading home tomorrow. I have had my truck a month now and have only been home for a week with it. Plasti dipping the wheels is going to be my project probably on Thursday. I'm glad to see that it came out looking good. Now I really can't wait to get home to do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks good! I have the same wheels and was thinking about trying this myself

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may want to take it down and have the balance rechecked.
I'd almost bet it is out enough to effect wear.
Can you explain what you mean by have the balance checked? Do you mean each tire balance at a tire shop?

The coating can't weigh enough to make a difference. Think about driving in rain or snow and having that coat your wheel, which would be heavier, you wouldn't check your balance with dirty wheels each time? If it was a heavy coating maybe...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by have the balance checked? Do you mean each tire balance at a tire shop?

The coating can't weigh enough to make a difference. Think about driving in rain or snow and having that coat your wheel, which would be heavier, you wouldn't check your balance with dirty wheels each time? If it was a heavy coating maybe...
OK, you used how many cans of spray, weighing how much? Yes much of it evaporates but you are putting all of the weight on the outside of the wheel where there are no wheel weights.
It was just a suggestion but at $200+ a tire is it worth taking a chance.
As for dirt, snow & ice yes it will cause your tires to go out of balance and if not removed cause tire wear. More then once I've had enough snow packed in while plowing that even at 40mph the whole truck vibrated like a washing machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its very easy, i masked the ford logo and the valve stem and sprayed 4 coats on each wheels. I did fronts and then backs by putting the truck on jack stands. Waited 15 minutes between coats, and in between dry times I masked off a different emblem and painted those also. Spent $30 on 4 cans and a spray can holder/nozzle which snaps onto the can for easier spraying. I still have a can and a half left. I spent about 3.5 hours taking my time. Don't mask the tires just spray away, when your done the plasti dip will pull right off the tires in one piece and then there is no cleanup. First coat is very thin and just creating the bonding layer. The 2-4th coat are thicker and cover everything well. Very easy. I also painted my lug nuts with a satin black krylon, and then hit them with some plasti dip after the tires were back on to match the texture.
Plasman, Appreciate you taking the time to provide all the details. You did a great job. Black gives these wheels a completely different look.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Looks really cool! Let us know how well it holds up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks really cool! Let us know how well it holds up.
Will do, I have a company car for all my driving during the week so it sits in the garage begging to be driven on the weekends. I am driving from Dallas to Denver for thanksgiving next week so we will see how it holds up!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Added some rear window twin turbo stickers, a new billet grill for the intercooler and some more plasti dip to the grill and I'm done for now

Upper and lower grill
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385082978.609788.jpg

Turbo stickers
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385083022.836552.jpg

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow, I am thinking I will probably just take the wheels off and do them, so I can ensure even coverage. Or do you think that's overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow, I am thinking I will probably just take the wheels off and do them, so I can ensure even coverage. Or do you think that's overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took mine off and laid them on the floor, did fronts then rears. You dont want that stuff in your brakes anyway

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Ya man. That looks really good. I'm doin this when this PA weather breaks. I had a 2007 VW Passat 2.0Turbo that I did the wheels, but did it with primer and regular black spray paint. Plastidip seems to be the tits. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393989699.418049.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393989699.418049.jpg

KCCO!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts