F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching for an f150. I’ve found a few in my price range. I’d love a 15+ 3.5 eco but around me they’re just out of my range. I’m unsure of the 2.7. I don’t tow a whole lot but I also don’t like limiting myself on the capability. Would you choose a 2.7 15-16 or a 3.5 13-14 truck? And why?

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Depends completely on what that "limit" for towing is for you specifically.

That 2.7 is way underestimated by most. I'd say even more so by Gen1 3.5'ers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends completely on what that "limit" for towing is for you specifically.

That 2.7 is way underestimated by most. I'd say even more so by Gen1 3.5'ers

At this point I have nothing I tow. But I can see the possibility of getting a camper within time and also a dump trailer. I want to make sure I don’t shoot myself in the foot later on down the road and end up wanting to trade it in because I need more capability

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
Camper and dump trailer. BOOM!

Mine is a '16 with a 3.55 gear. The 3.73 geared trucks are more capable, and the 2nd gen with the 10 speed and more torque is more capable still.

Mine does well with what I pull. I don't tow that much. I actually wanted a 3.5, but price dictated a 2.7. But, when considering another super duty or a half ton, I just didn't see the need for more truck than a 150 for occasional weekend warrior towing.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camper and dump trailer. BOOM!

Mine is a '16 with a 3.55 gear. The 3.73 geared trucks are more capable, and the 2nd gen with the 10 speed and more torque is more capable still.

Mine does well with what I pull. I don't tow that much. I actually wanted a 3.5, but price dictated a 2.7. But, when considering another super duty or a half ton, I just didn't see the need for more truck than a 150 for occasional weekend warrior towing.

What’s the weight on that camper? How happy are you with the 2.7?

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
11860 is my gross, putting the camper at 6560 loaded up. I scaled it at 5700 prior to loading up. That dump trailer scaled about 7000, and I've towed a load that scaled 12,600 (my max is 12,800) from Ohio to SC. In each case it did a great job. I have a Curt True-Track hitch for the camper and our first trip was this weekend. It went well. Overall I'm very happy with my 2.7.

However, if you find the right deal there is almost no reason not to go 3.5 in the 10 speed trucks. That 10 speed gets freakishly good gas mileage. I have a buddy with an '18 max tow truck who gets roughly the same gas milage I do. The 6 speed trucks don't do as well though. Mine does better than most of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11860 is my gross, putting the camper at 6560 loaded up. I scaled it at 5700 prior to loading up. That dump trailer scaled about 7000, and I've towed a load that scaled 12,600 (my max is 12,800) from Ohio to SC. In each case it did a great job. I have a Curt True-Track hitch for the camper and our first trip was this weekend. It went well. Overall I'm very happy with my 2.7.

However, if you find the right deal there is almost no reason not to go 3.5 in the 10 speed trucks. That 10 speed gets freakishly good gas mileage. I have a buddy with an '18 max tow truck who gets roughly the same gas milage I do. The 6 speed trucks don't do as well though. Mine does better than most of them.

Jeez pushing it close! Lol glad it working for you. I’m definitely not counting the 2.7 out. I live in Ny and the market around here is crazy. There’s a 16 2.7 supercab basically loaded with 50k on it locally for $24,xxx. Which is the best deal I’ve found on any decent 2.7 with some options. For a 3.5 I won’t go older than a 13’ and a 13-14’ 3.5 truck around here that has 80k or under is anywhere from $23-27000 depending on specific options and mileage. I won’t lie I’ve ventured into looking at tundras as I’ve always had a soft spot for them.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
I've got almost 1000 lbs to spare, and it handles well. Imo that's not too close. With the introduction of the j2807 testing procedures for tow ratings, I think what it's rated at is what it can do.

Edit, unless you mean when I was towing 12.6. Yeah that was close to max ratings, but that made me feel good about everything else I've needed to tow, because it did that great.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Someone in the NY New Jersey area flew down to Texas and bought used.

You never know.

Open up that search area and look for lower mileage?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live south of Charlotte in South Carolina and I had a buddy of mine drive me up to Raleigh to pick up my truck. 3 hour drive each way.
'14 with the 3.5, SCrew XLT, Leather, 83k miles...paid about $21k plus TTT, etc etc.

But seeing the capability of the Gen2 2.7's and especially the Gen2 3.5's, I'm on the fence about regretting my decision on the '14. I probably could have waited and saved up some extra cash for a '17 3.5 or a '18 2.7. Or with dealerships practically giving them away, maybe even bought new. I stopped by the local dealership the other weekend to get some general service work done and a sales guy was telling me how nice my "old" truck was and that the new trucks aren't moving. I told him if he wants my old truck on his lot I would trade it straight up for the new raptor they had in the showroom. LOL

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
If it was between a 11-14 3.5 or a 15+ 2.7, I would probably go 2.7. Just as quick or maybe quicker, is lighter, and gets stellar MPGs. I had a 2018/2019 2.7 10 speed 4x4 in Charlotte as a rental for 3 days and it really kicked ass in the MPG department and had plenty of grunt.

The only issue you might run into with the 2.7 is the payload, but the same goes for the 11-14 3.5 without the max-tow package.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I can't speak on 2.7s without having on, but the oil pan leak alone is enough for me to stray away from. I think the 13/14 is most reliable thus far...if you have intercooler and catch can. 2.7 should get better MPG though and alum body is better for long haul with less preventative maintenance aka no need to fluid film.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
I think they have gone back to the metal pan and traditional oil plug, but I'm not sure at what build date that changed. Mine has never leaked, but many have. If you need payload, the 2.7 payload package can carry a payload better than most 3.5 f150s. I bet that restricts certain options though.

The 2.7 PP carries a 6900 or a 7000 lb gvwr package, actual payload will vary based on options, but that's a decent gvwr.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I think they have gone back to the metal pan and traditional oil plug, but I'm not sure at what build date that changed. Mine has never leaked, but many have. If you need payload, the 2.7 payload package can carry a payload better than most 3.5 f150s. I bet that restricts certain options though.

The 2.7 PP carries a 6900 or a 7000 lb gvwr package, actual payload will vary based on options, but that's a decent gvwr.

Trouble is how do you find one. It's less identifiable than the HD Payload package on the 3.5 trucks.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
I don't know. Since he's looking used it would probably be hard to find.

If I'm not mistaken, any 2.7 with the 9.75 rear end is the 2.7 PP. All the rest are 8.8. We've had a few guys in the 2.7 groups on Facebook with one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts