F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

2016 2.7 EB XL 110k miles. Purchased used and the truck didn't seem to have any issues at all....until I left after buying and hopped on the highway, and now I have the infamous transmission shudder. When accelerating from 30mph -75mph I experience what I would best describe as a rumble strip sound coming from the middle/rear of the truck. It mostly occurs in 4th 5th & 6th gear. When cruising at a constant speed on the highway it wont vibrate or shudder, but when a little throttle is added that's when it happens. The shudder is most frequent when going up inclines. Usually every 100-300 feet when going up any hill. I have no issues at all when decelerating or going to a stop or cruising around town under 30mph as others have mentioned.

I know there has been other posts on this topic, but none seem to have a conclusive answer to go with. And being I'm out of warranty I dont have the ability to pay to make multiple trips to a Ford dealer and have them guess what the culprit is only to have the problem continue.

I rolled the dice and took the gamble on what I though was a clean high mileage truck, and minus this issue I love the truck. I need to know what I should expect or any possible solutions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you looked for any pending codes?
That symptom can be a misfire as well typically, that sets the engine light on pretty quick however.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you looked for any pending codes?
That symptom can be a misfire as well typically, that sets the engine light on pretty quick however.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I had the misfire happen to me twice, actually 3 times this past fall while towing. The first time, it shuttered & misfired while under heavy acceleration merging onto I-81 south from I-64 west near Staunton, VA.The check engine light started blinking. Once I let off the accelerator, every thing stopped, including the check engine light. Later, about 100 miles later on the way home, It did it twice, once going up a steep hill just outside Blacksburg, east bound on US-460 By-Pass. It stopped once at the top. Did it again on I-64 east going up Afton Mountain. truck shook, misfired terribly, and could barely maintain 60 mph in 2nd gear. Check engine light was blinking. Once at the top, every thing stopped, except the check engine light stay lit, but not blinking. No more missing going home. Dealer replaced a bad Coil On Plug plus the spark plug on engine #3.

Maybe two weeks later, had the miss fire, violent shaking of the truck, and blinking Check Engine light while pulling up that same steep hill just outside Blacksburg. Once at the top, every thing was back to normal. Took it to the Ford dealer when I got home, and $125 diagnostic charge later said he could find no codes.

Two weeks later, had an exact repeat of the second misfire adventure. Didn't take it to the dealer this time. No need to spend another $125 for nothing.

Football season is over, and I haven't pulled the trailer since, and have had no other issues since then.

At this point, I have no idea why the second two misfire events took place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To anyone who comes upon this post I got it resolved.

I should of noted, the transmission temperature would jump up to 180-200 degrees fairly quick on a cold start after driving around for a few minutes.

A simple transmission flush magically fixed the entire shuddering issue. 2 weeks since and nothing has come back yet. Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Excellent news.

Thanks for updating. It certainly offers a possible 1st option for a cure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the exact same issues. 2016 F150 XL 3.5L V6 (n/a) with 136,XXX. I first had the spark plugs changed because I needed them done anyway. This didn't fix the problem so I took the truck in to get a transmission flush. It's a fleet vehicle and none of the approved vendors (Goodyear/Firestone/Valvoline) can do it because the truck doesn't have a dipstick for the tranny. The dealership said the torque converter is done and my truck needs a new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the exact same issues. 2016 F150 XL 3.5L V6 (n/a) with 136,XXX. I first had the spark plugs changed because I needed them done anyway. This didn't fix the problem so I took the truck in to get a transmission flush. It's a fleet vehicle and none of the approved vendors (Goodyear/Firestone/Valvoline) can do it because the truck doesn't have a dipstick for the tranny. The dealership said the torque converter is done and my truck needs a new one.

Was told the same thing from my Ford Dealer that is was "possibly" the torque converter. I suggested to flush the fluid first before replacing the TC just to see since they were not certain. 8k miles since the transmission flush and not a single shudder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was told the same thing from my Ford Dealer that is was "possibly" the torque converter. I suggested to flush the fluid first before replacing the TC just to see since they were not certain. 8k miles since the transmission flush and not a single shudder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2016 f150 eco boost. I have 137,000 miles on mine. I found that meineke will do it without a dip stick. But I am hesitant on getting it done because I talked to other service centers and they don’t recommend me getting the flush done because of my high mileage. They said I am taking a big risk of causing more damage. Knocking things loose in my transmission. Any advice or suggestions will helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is a big difference between a flush and a fluid exchange.

Flush uses pressure to push the fluid through, not good.

A fluid exchange machine reads the pressure and volume of the fluid on the "Out" line and matches it on the "In" line for the desired qty. Typically about 10 qts.
The exchange is much safer for obvious reasons.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to do an exchange on a 135k trans.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
I don't know if the 10r80 has the same temp-valve as the 6R80, but a "flush" isn't really possible in the sense that unless that valve opens, you will not be getting all the fluid sucked out of the tranny/TC. Unless you could somehow heat the fluid up enough to get that valve (thermostat) to open.
Lots of guys on here just drop the pan, let it drop for a while, change the filter, seal it all back up and add the 6-7 quarts that were removed that way.

Then drive a while and do it again. Theory being after doing it twice you have almost all new fluid with perhaps some percentage of old fluid mixed in.

Personally, with 125,000 miles on it, I would WANT to see how that pan looks after a drop and drain. From a forensics point of view, that is.

Awesome video shows how easy, but messy, it is to drop the pan and filter.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GearHead_1

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer scheduled me for 8:30 Thursday and said they'd get the diagnostic done that day and call me. I called Friday at 11 am and was told it was the torque converter. Come to find out they didn't actually diagnose it until around 4 pm that Friday (my truck goes through LeasePlan and they didn't ask permission to perform the diagnostic until 3:30 pm that day).
The next Thursday I asked for an update and they hadn't even ordered parts. I got my keys back. Took it to a local transmission shop on Friday at 3:30 pm. They test drove it and called me at 5 and said a fluid flush with friction modifier has a 50/50 chance of fixing the problem, plus torque converters are currently on backorder.
They flushed the trans and called me first thing Monday to pick it up. The problem is gone and haven't had a single shudder since. Never going to that dealership ever again.

Total cost: 2 hours of diagnostic at Ford was $270
Work at transmission shop was around $358. Their diagnostic charge (which is included in the $358) was $69.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Well there ya go.

I bet a good clean tranny fluid swap would improve the behavior and performance of SO MANY of these vehicles that are 60,000 miles and beyond.

While it is without controversy that the majority of folks consider Fords recommended oil change interval is tomfoolery, for some reason we give Ford a pass on their other fluid change recommendations.

Heat & Friction. Arguably the ONLY factors that prevent a machine from lasting FOREVER. Anything we can do to reduce heat and friction is really about all we can do. I fault no one for erring on the side of over maintaining.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Modinstrator
2,714 Posts
Heat, friction and corrosion.

...It’s better to burn out than it is to rust.
The King is gone but he’s not forgotten...

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,645 Posts
I thought it was better to burn out than to fade away 🤘🏼🤘🏼

·
Modinstrator
2,714 Posts
That was the line in HIGHLANDER, one of my favs.

Neil Young gave us the one mentioned.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,645 Posts
Def Leppard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts