F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
The 180 which installed in feb/March usually ram 195-205 all the time. I thought it was defective and went with another 180 form rock auto and still got same temps.
What's wrong with 205 coolant temp ? Nothing.

Reactions: stereotype one

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
The 160 is fully open at X temp and the 180 is fully open at X temp. That doesn't determine what temp the engine ultimately gets to.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 157 Max Tow
312 Posts
The 160 is fully open and X temp and the 180 is fully open at X temp. That doesn't determine what temp the engine ultimately gets to.
If you running lower rpm’s with a bigger opening for the water pump to flow coolant through vs a smaller one might help with running temps.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,639 Posts
If the cooling stack could actually shed heat fast enough, a lower thermostat would hypothetically lower the operating temperature.

However, it's pretty evident that isn't the case with these trucks.
I do find it interesting though that Ford decided to make whatever changes they made to lower the normal operating temperature for the Gen3 3.5

208-216F was the normal operating temperature for the Gen2. Summer or winter the truck ran in that range dead reliably. It's what Ford wanted! (so yea, @Arkansas Eco , nothing wrong with 205)

But the Gen3 runs 188-198F
And ironically, Ford raised the transmission temp to 205-215, so the transmission runs warmer than the motor. Although it takes almost 20-25 miles to get the tranny to 200F, so some folks will never or rarely reach it.

·
Registered
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Platinum 4x4
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know these gen 1s are supposed to be at warmer temps to burnoff vapors and such, but it’s just my personal preference to not want it that high. And unless my 160° was faulty it lowered my operating temp the whole time I ran it. I never saw 190 with it installed

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,639 Posts
Here is the normal temps today for a sustained 60-65mph run in Summer Temps outside.
Notice tranny temps too

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Display device Technology

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Nope. Not unless my tuner guy did it but I’m pretty sure he left all that stock
If that’s the case, you’ll likely only see a temp shift at hwy speeds without the fans adjusted.

The thermostat will open at the right temp, but the system isn’t going to keep the temps down without the fans coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
If that’s the case, you’ll likely only see a temp shift at hwy speeds without the fans adjusted.

The thermostat will open at the right temp, but the system isn’t going to keep the temps down without the fans coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 'system' aint gonna keep temps where he wants in Summer temps regardless of fans unless his Summer temps are 80's.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
If the cooling stack could actually shed heat fast enough, a lower thermostat would hypothetically lower the operating temperature.

However, it's pretty evident that isn't the case with these trucks.
I do find it interesting though that Ford decided to make whatever changes they made to lower the normal operating temperature for the Gen3 3.5

208-216F was the normal operating temperature for the Gen2. Summer or winter the truck ran in that range dead reliably. It's what Ford wanted! (so yea, @Arkansas Eco , nothing wrong with 205)

But the Gen3 runs 188-198F
And ironically, Ford raised the transmission temp to 205-215, so the transmission runs warmer than the motor. Although it takes almost 20-25 miles to get the tranny to 200F, so some folks will never or rarely reach it.
This, exactly. My towing temps didn’t drop until I got my Mishimoto radiator. Now they will hang in the low 200’s with a 180F thermostat. I suspect a lower temp stat may allow me to run slightly lower than that. But not much.

Reactions: jwsmith6
21 - 31 of 31 Posts