F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first ecoboost 3.5 sport package. I notice that it is very jerky when taking off. Is this normal? Came from a 98 Silverado that I had for 12 years and it was way smoother on take off. I still love this truck more but just wondering if it’s normal. Was told the truck had to get used to my foot. Only has 250 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could be the learning period but it also sounds like your not used to the auto stop-start our trucks have, it will be a bit rough (nothing to worry about)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not sure what the "very Jerky" could be. I'm in my 4th newer Ecoboost and had zero issues with jerking. Maybe it's the raw HP while the turbo's are spooling compared to your Chevy??

Anywho, congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum! You're headed in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about.
Put it in sport mode and report back if it is better or worse.
Also, you might splurge on a tank of high octane, just to see the difference?

And yes, the truck is doing some "learning".
Mines now at 5000 miles and smooooth like butter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be the learning period but it also sounds like your not used to the auto stop-start our trucks have, it will be a bit rough (nothing to worry about)
It’s not the auto start stop. I turn that off. If I feather the gas and go slower than 25 mph it’s jerky. If I just hit the gas quickly and go it’s not nearly as noticeable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I will try this today. Sport mode is awesome but have not kept it there.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
These direct injection engines (albeit your '18 is dual injection) can be jerky and feel like they are surging during the first minute or so upon start-up (longer if its cold outside). If that is what you are referring to then start your engine, sit for a minute until you hear the BOV shut then put it in gear and proceed with your commute. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Elmore328 but that’s not my issue. My issue is anytime I stop and then take off slowly not gunning it, especially if going up a hill the truck is jerky almost like a miss. However if I just hit the gas and go it’s smooth. May be a normal thing but figured I would ask around.

·
Registered
580 Posts
the 1 to 3 shift at slow acceleration is clunky, even worse if you let off around 8-10 mph it will lunge occasionally. does it seem to during the initial shift?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 1 to 3 shift at slow acceleration is clunky, even worse if you let off around 8-10 mph it will lunge occasionally. does it seem to during the initial shift?
This exactly. This is what I am referring to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Worse in sport mode. If I get on it, everything is fine. When I go slow or when slowing down very jerky

·
Registered
580 Posts
You get used to it, or at least learn to drive around it. Only time i notice it now is leaving work. I back out of my space and pull maybe 60' to the road, it likes to hit third as im hitting the brake and it wants to take off from engine momentum. I will say letting it run 30 seconds before pulling out helps.

slowing down i will feel it downshift, it seems to keep the torque converter locked up. Sports mode makes the shifts quicker and more firm, plus it wont skip shift, it will hit all 10 gears.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Worse in sport mode. If I get on it, everything is fine. When I go slow or when slowing down very jerky

I was hoping not skipping from 1-3 would help.
If there is nothing different with your truck and others, then you'll have to be patient while the tranny settles in (learns), or adapt your technique.

But I think it's going to smooth up a bit.

By the way, I'm running a tune that FORD should try to match for that 10-speed. Shifts seemlessly!

Hang in there.
(tried ecomode yet? I don't care for it. Too luggy)

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was hoping not skipping from 1-3 would help.
If there is nothing different with your truck and others, then you'll have to be patient while the tranny settles in (learns), or adapt your technique.

But I think it's going to smooth up a bit.

By the way, I'm running a tune that FORD should try to match for that 10-speed. Shifts seemlessly!

Hang in there.
(tried ecomode yet? I don't care for it. Too luggy)

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Oh, I’m not going anywhere. Lol. Love the truck and all its features. No tune installed as I have not looked into that. I’m pretty much a stock truck type person as I know nothing about tunes. As far as eco mode, I plan on never using it unless I’m on long trips

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I've got a 3.5TT 18` XLT Loaner :blush:
Sport mode is niiiiicccceeee!
I enjoy the aggressive shift/downshift throttle transmission response......in fact my 14` ( 4 day spa @Ford) with a 5* tow tune mirrors the 18` stock sport mode-perfect.
I hate to admit it, but I'm gonna miss driving that 18`.....but wait, my 14` with a new Gen 1 motor & turbo's (new water pump too) 91p tune-Nawwww.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, not sure if the herky jerky is related or not but now I have a vacuum issue. Truck sounds like I have big mud tires on it. Going to dealership to have them look at it. Only have 500 miles on it. Hopefully they know what to fix.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, not sure if the herky jerky is related or not but now I have a vacuum issue. Truck sounds like I have big mud tires on it. Going to dealership to have them look at it. Only have 500 miles on it. Hopefully they know what to fix.

Good luck, does it sound like your dragging a shopping cart? if so it's probably an issue with the IWE, try putting it in 4wd when its making the noise, that should shut it up if its the IWE. Mines been doing it for months but the dealer refuses to fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck, does it sound like your dragging a shopping cart? if so it's probably an issue with the IWE, try putting it in 4wd when its making the noise, that should shut it up if its the IWE. Mines been doing it for months but the dealer refuses to fix it.
No, it sounds like I have mudders on. A deep humming sound with shifting at higher rpms. I got a 18’ lariat for a rental that has 5400 miles on it and what a difference. Both trucks have the 3.5 and the lariat shifts way smoother through all gears and in sport mode sounds like a v8. Not sure if mine needs to be broke in more but the trucks are totally different. Anyone else drive a sport model and then a lariat and see this big of a difference?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts