F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1995 4Runner with the 22RE almost two weeks ago now. It was already solid axle swapped with a Trailgear kit that has their 3” spring. The axles have 5.29 gears and the rear has an ARB locker. They also converted the rear to a 63” GM spring which is the rear leafs off of a 1500. They give a lot of flex supposedly.

Its not perfect. It does have some body rust but the frame and driveline are in solid shape. The point of this truck is to be a trail rig that im not afraid to beat up so the rust is a good thing in my eyes. Its not so nice that ill care.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have a few things to take care of:

-The throttle cable was really loose and the pedal had about an inch of dead zone. Im not even sure if the throttle body plate is being opened all the way.

-Do the oil

-Check the timing

-Adjust the idle speed.

-Check valve clearance.

-I think there is an exhaust leak at the manifold. I get a tick under load but is quiet off the throttle.

-Figure out what to do about the rear springs. Right now the front is sitting about 3” higher than the rear. Deaver makes springs for the GM 1500 so I was hoping to see if they could make me a set of progressive leafs but I have not heard back yet.

-I also want a winch bumper. I have a Warn VR Evo 10s sitting in my garage that needs a home.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did the oil this morning. I went all out and used Supertech High Mileage Full-Syn 5W-30 :ROFLMAO:. The engine calls for 10W-30 but that was back in 1995 and I have to imagine even the crappiest modern day 5W-30 is far better. I thought about Rotella T6 5w-40 but meh. The cool thing is the engine can fit the same size filter that was on my previous Jeep, which I had laying around. I started using the Fram Ultra XG8A, which was over sized for the Jeep, and is also about double the size of the stock Toyota filter but with the same specs(pressure relief, thread size and gasket size). So I think I probably got an extra half a quart of oil in there due to the filter size.

The engine seems a bit quieter. It has a decent amount of valve train noise and sounds like a little tractor at idle, but its a little smoother now. I am hoping a valve adjustment my quiet it down a little more.

I also adjusted the throttle cable and the lever arm that actuates the throttle plate. The arm was too short and so there was some slack causing it to not engage immediately. Once I got that dialed in the throttle pedal is nice and tight and throttle response is MUCH better. I had to relearn how to drive it. Not sure if it actually is making more top end power or not, but it has more spunk under partial throttle since its actuating a lot earlier now. It's like going from a stock tune to a custom tune on the Ecoboost in terms of throttle response.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just went under and greased the driveshafts and shackles on the front leafs.

Need to do the same on my Lexus.

It is strange that I own more Japanese cars than American. I have owned a Subaru in the past but never loved it. I have always leaned American. But in my old age I guess I have shifted to the dark side. At the end of the day I am going to pick what suits my needs, the F150 ecoboost is the perfect example of this. While I had plans of lifting my Lexus and turning it into a trail truck, its proven to be an excellent daily driver which is part of the reason why I decided to leave it (mostly) stock and buy this 4R.

Reactions: GDSQDCR

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it out for a drive on Sunday. Nothing too crazy but got to explore some trails in the local national forest.

There is definitely and exhaust tick and I am trying to decide how to handle it. I can:

1. Buy a generibrand USA exhaust manifold and gasket from Rockauto for $90-120
2. Buy a set of long tube headers from someone like LCE Performacne, which includes a the gaskets and stuff for $400.

I wouldn't mind more power, but not sure throwing money at the 22RE is the best way to do that.

The other option I have would be to do a mild turbo build. I secretly want to put a Garrett VNT Turbo like GTB1549 or GTB1752 on it and only run it at like 2-3 psi of positive pressure. Since I am at 6500' 2-3 psi would be a 5-6 psi bump over my current pressure, or about 50% and would probably put me in the 135 hp range. The stock ECU should handle it since its not much over the stock power rating.

No way would I ever get there on intake and exhaust mods.

Reactions: AllWhiteEco

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think a simple turbo kit on the 22RE would be great for your trail rig. It would definitely make the trip to and from the trails more enjoyable. Here is a video of some guy that did a budget turbo kit on hit 22RE. He lists all the parts he used in the description. He claims to be over 200hp.

And another one 22RE turbo off-road rig with sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
That second video is AWESOME

I'm bummed that they left us hanging. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a simple turbo kit on the 22RE would be great for your trail rig. It would definitely make the trip to and from the trails more enjoyable. Here is a video of some guy that did a budget turbo kit on hit 22RE. He lists all the parts he used in the description. He claims to be over 200hp.

And another one 22RE turbo off-road rig with sound!

I wonder if that guy in the first vid is still on the stock motor? 220 hp is literally double stock.

I didnt wanna take it that far just because I dont wanna have to deal with a standalone ECM. I should be able to run low boost on an otherwise stock truck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wonder if that guy in the first vid is still on the stock motor? 220 hp is literally double stock.

I didnt wanna take it that far just because I dont wanna have to deal with a standalone ECM. I should be able to run low boost on an otherwise stock truck.
I would guess that his motor is stock because he listed all the mods in the description and it seemed all he did was refresh the stock motor. I think for your goals, the stock motor would hold up fine. If you ever wanted more, a quick search showed forged pistons and rods for only $900 ;)

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went under the back of the 4Runner today to check out the rear springs and see what I could do about getting the rear end higher. The Shackle already look pretty long so I dont think that is an option. I think I need to either go to a larger block or get a new spring re-arched.

Also, I looked at the rear shocks, which have a shock boot on them currently, and the shocks are almost bottomed out just sitting in my driveway. I could just barely get my index, middle, and ring finger between the bottom of the shock body and the bottom of the shaft. I think it may have been bottoming out on the trail because there were a few pretty sharp hits. I thought it was the bump stops or maybe the overload springs on the leafs engaging, but no, I think its the shocks now.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deaver is not answering the phone. They have a bunch of options for 63” chevy leafs. 3, 4, 6” all super proggressive.

My neighbor recommended a shop down in SLC called AAA spring that might work but not sure they can build a nice leaf like deaver could. The way the guy made it sound they would “make something work”

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was actually there yesterday to pick up my order(Deaver). They only had 1 or 2 people there TOPS. Not sure why all of sudden they are short handed people this week. Last week when I was also there they were packed like usual.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Took the runner up some forest roads to 11000’ today. Idle got a little low and rough up there, but that’s understandable since its about 15% less air than at my house.

I also advanced the timing a bit. Stock base setting is 5* BTDC so I pushed it out to ~8*BTDC. This was on a blend of 88 and 85 octane(85 because the local chevron literally ran out of 91 and 88 the other day), mostly 88. No pinging whatsoever.

I am gunna run 91 on my next tank and push it to 10* BTDC and hopefully pick up a few ponies.

I also just bought an efan for the 90’s Thunderbirds. I believe its going to be a perfect fit for the stock radiator other than needing to fab up some brackets. I also want to do a fan controller that reads off the thermostat outlet and can trigger the low and high speeds.

To go along with that I also ordered a Super Stant 180F thermostat. Ill likely set low speed to turn on around 190-195 and high at 195-200.

I am a little nervous about the efan because even just turning on the hvac blower puts enough load on the motor to slightly drop the idle speed

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know if you can advance timing too much? And I don’t mean because of knock/pinging, more asking about going past MBT.

This thing has a base timing but then the ecu can advance the timing. If i set the base timing to be 8* earlier than the stock spec, is it possible to exceed MBT?

How would you know?

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to head down to a spring shop in SLC today so I had to run the gauntlet(3000' climb out of SLC up I-80) in the 4Runner. Driving this pass is like playing Mario Kart. I really think that the throttle body was not fully opening the way the previous owner had it set. I was able to cruise up the pass at 65 mph except for the steepest parts. There I was able to hold 58-60 mph at WOT in 3rd spinning 4500 rpm. Also, my cruise speed seems to be better. I had no issue holding 70mph on the flat runs and was only about half way on the throttle, whereas before it was about all it would do.

Was spinning the engine at 4500 rpm for 5 minutes straight fun? No. But I have confidence in it now that I could drive down to Moab or elsewhere without too much issue.

Also, this gave me the opportunity to empty the gas tank and fill it with 91 chevron. I bumped the timing to 10* BTDC when I got home. As mentioned in my previous post, I bet I could run a lot more than 10*, but the ECU electronically advances the timing and not sure how far it can go. I don't want it running 50* of timing or something and trying to spin the motor backward :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I was poking around the ‘ol google and didn’t find any great answers on timing set up. I’m not too sure what you can do other than get it as hot as possible and listen for audible pinging or knock. Being at altitude, you can advance the timing at least 5* though without any issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Oh and stop posting! I found a Jeep that is way too expensive and don’t want to buy it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Modistrator
2,279 Posts
You’ll have a huffer on it before long. Heck, that an external OD and you’ll be sailing uphills.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts