F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Drove around a bit today and the back of the runner seems a bit more whallowy with the blocks. It seems to float more. Not sure what is up with that other than maybe just that added height and because the bilsteins are in a different point in their compression?

The next thing I need to do is chop out the load sensing proportioning valve as its in the way of my laying down the shocks. The LSPV is a valve in the brake system that will change the amount of brake fluid pressure that is allowed to hit the rear brakes. Basically, when the rear suspension lifts, an arm on this valve drops with the axle which reduces the pressure. If the suspension compresses and loads up, the arm lifts and pressure increases. Its a very rudimentary, mechanical form of ABS, but only for the rear.

By removing it I will actually increase the brake pressure to the rear. Most guys say that when running 33+" tire the rears won't lock up anyways.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I still need somewhere to mount the Warn winch that I just have sitting in my garage. I am thinking about snagging this:

This is it on a 3rd gen 4Runner

I really like the look. Its simple and not huge.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Who makea the bumper? You're making me miss my 2nd gen Taco

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Who makea the bumper? You're making me miss my 2nd gen Taco
Addicted offroad out of Wyoming. Gunna order monday but wanted to ask if it still has the cut outs for the turn signals and fogs if you don’t order the lights.

Reactions: sleipnir

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just placed an order for the bumper.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out trimming of my front bump stops. There seems to be a pretty severe limitation in terms of articulation in the front and how much I can stuff the tires. Here is the current situation:

The Bumpstops at static ride height are currently 2.5" from touching:

The shocks are currently at 5.75" of extension at static height:

In a straight up and down motion I should, in theory, have 5.75" of up travel. However, because the shocks are mounted outboard of the spring/bumps, they will encounter more travel during articulation. If you imagine the axle pivots around it's centerpoint during articulation, the farther you are out on the axle, the farther you move per degree of axle twist. So my 5.75" of shock travel will equate to less distance at the bump stop and so the bumps need to be positioned some distance less than 5.75" so that they catch the axle before the shock bottoms out.

I am hopefully bound by the shocks compressed and free length which are 17.91" and 29.7" as opposed to spring limited. Meaning the shocks are ultimately what limit the downtravel on the suspension. To solve this whole issue I modeled my axle in Solidworks to see what length I could get away with between the bumps stops. I measured the distance from brake rotor to brake rotor, brake rotor to shock mount, and brake rotor to Bump stop and built a mock axle. I also used the maximum extended length of the shock on one side to mimic that the axle was in its most articulated position

Rotor to Rotor = 51"
Rotor to shock = 5.75"
Rotor to Bumpstop = 11"

So, it looks like I can trim the bump stop back to 4.33" maximum. I will probably keep it at 4.25" or 4.125" for a safety margin. This is what the axle currently can do with a 2.5" bump spacing:

So, by the numbers, I am leaving almost 5" of uptravel on the table. This makes sense based on these couple of pics I took.

You can see the rear drivers tire is pretty stuffed, but the front is not even close.

Reactions: sleipnir
41 - 46 of 46 Posts