F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had 2001 F-250 Screw 4x4 Lariat with V10. Great Tow vehicle, horrible gas mileage and thought is was time to upgrade. I had an Edge Sport with 2.7 and was so impressed I went with F-150 3.5. (I actually had 3 different tuners for the Edge, not sure what I will do for a tune on the 3.5)

The F-150 is a 2019 Lariat SCREW, 4x4 off-road max tow pkg 6.5' bed.
I have leveled to 1.75 with Bilstein's on the front. Put Bilstein's on the back and Firestone Ride-Rite air springs. ( Plan on upgrading tires to 33 in a XL rating)
I am worried about towing my 23' Komfort TT which when loaded is about 6000lbs. Currently the TW is 880 (I do use a WDH). I tend to carry a lot of stuff for 2 week trips in the desert, and worried about exceed the GVWR of 7050 of the truck. I would like to get TW to 13% of trailer weight @ 750 lbs of TW. Note sure how I will do.

I will be reading the towing posts for the next little, trying to learn all the tricks. I have been active on the f150forum, but eventually I will want to focus on the "boost" part of this truck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
6000lbs.

You are going to be singing while you fly up that grade in the fast lane.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
Shoot buddy I pull 7,000 into the mountains with my 2.7.

I came from a '99 7.3 Powerstroke. 6 speed manual, 2wd, tuned, intake, exhaust, and a turbo upgrade. In its heyday it was prime towing machinery, and the upgrades I made woke it up big time. It was fun to drive and tugged loads around like a beast.

All that said, I'm not the least bit disappointed in the change, and don't regret getting the truck or the camper at all.

I think you'll be good if you use a good WDH and take care to dial it in.
DSCI0146.jpg
FB_IMG_1584404681924.jpg
IMG_20190711_185140627_HDR.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
That Lil v6 will not even break a sweat with want you want to do

Do not collapse when your tow mpg is 10 + or - 1 mpg

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Shhhhhhhhh

I wasn't gonna mention mpg when you're hitched.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Shhhhhhhhh

I wasn't gonna mention mpg when you're hitched.

Shoot, my bad... I mean jump up for joy when its 10mpg + or - 1 Lol

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Try and see how it does. With a hefty payload in the bed, I'd recommend some air bags to help firm things up a bit. A stiffer tire my help some too. Why is your tongue so high on a 23' trailer? Is it a toyhauler with a front deck or something? My trailer is 26' and my tongue is about 550-600 lbs with two batteries and two 25 lb propane cylinders up front.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi all,

I am not worried about the power...more concerned about trailer sway. My TW is heavy because I have 2 7.5 Propane bottles and 2 6 volt lead aid golf cart batteries. The 50 gallon water tank is as far front as it can be (which is really stupid design) I am going to move things around in the trailer such that I can still load my get TW to 13% and allow me some more payload in the truck bed. I do have Bilstein's and FireStone Air Springs on the rear. I will be loading up this week-end and going to the scales to check things out.

I really enjoy the truck thus far...2500 miles.

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
Your tongue weight is about what mine is. I'm able to get it adjusted so I'm a little under gvwr and I suspect you have quite a bit more payload capacity than I do. When you load up are you over?

If you're not over on gvwr, I don't think I'd be too concerned about the TW being a little heavy unless it causes some sort of handling issue. I certainly don't think a high TW percentage is going to cause any sway. On the contrary, I think.

I packed the camper for as much tongue weight as I could muster without going over on the truck ratings, set my hitch up for 100% front axle load restoration, and went on a short local camping trip for a shakedown run. I thought it pulled great, and gradually went a little further at a time from home on following trips. I finished up the season with about 1500 miles towing the camper and I've yet to tinker with the hitch any more. It tows well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: When you load up are you over? (truck gvwr of 7050)

Yes I believe so and I haven't done a full load yet...infact I may have been over with the F250. The F250 never complained and I never weighed the trailer or the loaded truck. I did weight the truck once it was 7200 lbs.

My F150 with me, wife, full tank and some tooIs and gear in the backs seat, bed empty is 6000.

My packing strategy was to generally leave the camper empty and loadthe pickup bed...thus once at camp, arriving late at night, meant I was ready for bed. So I will be "strategically" shifting the load to the camper with the goal of easy access to bed for late night arrivals. The camper has GVWR of 7500...I doubt I will get to 6000. In the past I always filled to 50 gal water tank full, and never used all of it. So I will reduce to 30gal.

I was able to weigh the camper with 30 gal and and it was 5500 total. So I think I can't achieve correct loading, and hopefully I won't have sway issues like I have been reading about.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I'm not sure I completely agree with the strategy. Since Cargo Capacity is actually the limit we 1/2 ton folks are battling, loading all your "cargo" in the bed of the truck is a 1:1 depletion of cargo capacity.

Putting cargo IN the RV, allows for strategically reducing the amount of depletion of cargo capacity of the truck itself.

Theoretically less than 1:1 ratio if you place the cargo in respect to the axle(s) of the RV

Sway IS something you have to dial out of these lighter trucks. But there are many moving parts and options to that equation and a bunch of fellas around here have successfully addressed it.

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
I load everything in the camper, as much as I can in the nose of the camper to help get my TW% up. When I weighed the camper and set my WDH up I was at 6500 loaded trailer weight, 6100 out if 6500 truck gvwr, and 11800 out of 12800 on the truck gcvwr.

With you having about the same tongue weight, and a good bit more gvwr, are you just piling that much more in the truck than I am?

I load everything in the camper so it can shoulder some of that load, and shoot to get the TW at or over 13 percent to help reduce potential for sway. It has resulted in a great towing experience with my Curt True-Track, which is a 4 points of sway control type of hitch.

When we go for colder weather trips we pack more firewood, heaters, propane, and blankets and put loaded trailer weight is closer to 7,000.

I've never scaled it when we go like that and it's likely that I am/was a smidge over gvwr, but I still had plenty left on RAWR. I'm okay with that.

My camper also has a 7500 gvwr.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Not sure what trailer you have, but I personally would not tow with water in the tank unless absolutely necessary for boondocking. There are a lot of reports on many forums of people losing tanks on the highway, cracking tanks, etc., because they pull with water in them. I know this is contrary to the reason behind buying a trailer to begin with, but unfortunately a lot of the supports for the tanks on these things are woefully inadequate. Its a growing trend I see across a lot of lines of trailers. They are trying to cheapen the build to the point where it's no longer usable. If you insist on traveling with water, do yourself a favor and take a good hard look at the supports for the tank. If it looks okay, I would still add some support to keep the tank from cracking due to excessive flex.

I agree with the comments about loading the trailer not the truck. From the axles ---> forward is where I target my loading. If you get it too far back, you'll make the sway worse because it will lighten the tongue. This is the "tail wagging the dog" problem and can be very dangerous.

What PSI do you run in those firestones? At ~6500 lbs I run 45-50 psi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RE: I' m not sure I completely agree with the strategy.
I was talking about the F250 now I am changing to shifting to the trailer as you pointed out.

RE: With you having about the same tongue weight, and a good bit more gvwr, are you just piling that much more in the truck than I am?
Yes in the F250...but not I will move to the trailer and try to keep 13% TW.

RE: Not sure what trailer you have, but I personally would not tow with water in the tank unless absolutely necessary for boondocking.
199 Komfort 21' I go dry camping in the Mojave desert for 2 weeks.

RE: There are a lot of reports on many forums of people losing tanks on the highway, cracking tanks, etc.,
Dang you have given me something else to think about. I have been driving 450 miles with the full for the last 20 years. I guess the tanks must be getting old.

RE:What PSI do you run in those firestones? At ~6500 lbs I run 45-50 psi.
In the past when well loaded I run at max PSI...I have not towed with this truck but I expect I will run at max. I believe heat is the worst enemy for tires, so I like max PSI.
I always check them with infrared meter when traveling. I guess the F250 have trailer TPMS...that would be nice.

Thanks every-one for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts