F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2013 fx4 ecoboost. Ran a friend of mine 2012 gmc about 6 times. The first 2 races was amazing I kept pulling and left him behind. After the 2 races I noticed he was starting to keep up better. On the 4th run he actually beat me and the 2 after that too. We raced back to back no rest on trucks. I'm guessing the turbos were hot? My temp gauges looked ok inside though. We did several runs from stop and 20 and 30 rolls.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Sounds like heat... Too many passes in too short of a time period with no cool down. An aftermarket gauge would give you a better idea with IAT and more to-the-minute temperature updates.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
When things get too hot, the truck pulls timing...
Your intercooler/cac saturates after a couple hard pulls.

Water temps spike too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
You running stock tune?

·
Registered
868 Posts
i agree loss of timing due to higher temps is worth a few tenths and the fact that the CAC saturates with heat leaning the fuel mix even more.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Yeah sorry 5star tune 87 performance tow
I heart it's one of the best tow tunes, but don't mistake it for a race tune...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have 4 others on my hand held and a 93 performance is one of them.

Hit and miss but when I lay into it sometimes the shifting is screwey. I had to let off last week cuz from 3rd to 4th it didn't shift and I was hitting 6500 rpms.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Mike would be more than satisfied to adjust your tune. Feel free to email him and advise him of the issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok so I have a 2013 fx4 ecoboost. Ran a friend of mine 2012 gmc about 6 times. The first 2 races was amazing I kept pulling and left him behind. After the 2 races I noticed he was starting to keep up better. On the 4th run he actually beat me and the 2 after that too. We raced back to back no rest on trucks. I'm guessing the turbos were hot? My temp gauges looked ok inside though. We did several runs from stop and 20 and 30 rolls.
What roll do u feel the truck pulls better nd on what gear ?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Yep, you had heat soak. For racing, you really need 30-45 minutes between WOT runs. A 170 degree T-Stat will help too.
But it's not a magic bullet, and you need the tune revised to work with it.

Also, with the stock cac, you still can't get the control the intake air temps very well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Right, the fan settings need to be adjusted. The factory CAC sucks for sure and you can heat it to the max on 2 hard runs, but regardless of CAC, you still need cool down time or you will heat up any CAC too much.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You can get the Edge monitor for cluster display. Just can't run back-to-back 6x WOT. Factory gauges won't pick up on temp changes as fast as digital reads do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts