F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_3787.JPG IMG_3788.JPG
So my first time towing yesterday was eventful. I have a Platinum 4x4, with max tow package. Towed in 4H.
The trailer wandered all over the place - could never go above 45 mph.
I suspect that it was how the guys loaded the trailer - Notice the 3 huge beams off to one side (900-1000lbs ea)
Truck pulled this very easily - my guess is 6000lbs without trailer.
The bulk of the load was behind the trailer wheels - is that the issue??
Also, the trailer brake said 'no trailer' - thoughts?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would say having the load off center like that would Def make the trailer sway. Just like when you load down your bed and it takes pressure off your front steer tires, it makes your steering "float" same thing with the trailer having more wieght on one side.
My question is why were you towing in 4H?

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
View attachment 41354 View attachment 41355
So my first time towing yesterday was eventful. I have a Platinum 4x4, with max tow package. Towed in 4H.
The trailer wandered all over the place - could never go above 45 mph.
I suspect that it was how the guys loaded the trailer - Notice the 3 huge beams off to one side (900-1000lbs ea)
Truck pulled this very easily - my guess is 6000lbs without trailer.
The bulk of the load was behind the trailer wheels - is that the issue??
Also, the trailer brake said 'no trailer' - thoughts?
Exactly the issue. Its not so much to the side, its the too much to the rear. You want "tongue weight" not "negative tongue weight"

I can see that in the pictures, I was thinking that was it and then read and it confirmed it.
I can see that the rear of the trailer was low. (Considered maybe it was a ramp illusion) but what you said confirmed it.

People really get worried about too much tongue weight, but I'd rather error that way, than negative weight. I try and look at the load and put the center of it just in front of the wheels on the trailer. If you are in doubt you can raise or lower the jack to see which way the ball is engaging the receiver. Don't disconnect, because the tail could raise the tongue, and then how do you get it down. If you were tail heavy. Lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say having the load off center like that would Def make the trailer sway. Just like when you load down your bed and it takes pressure off your front steer tires, it makes your steering "float" same thing with the trailer having more wieght on one side.
My question is why were you towing in 4H?
Thought it would be better as it was super slick out - light drizzle rain and I was on back roads with stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly the issue. Its not so much to the side, its the too much to the rear. You want "tongue weight" not "negative tongue weight"

I can see that in the pictures, I was thinking that was it and then read and it confirmed it.
I can see that the rear of the trailer was low. (Considered maybe it was a ramp illusion) but what you said confirmed it.

People really get worried about too much tongue weight, but I'd rather error that way, than negative weight. I try and look at the load and put the center of it just in front of the wheels on the trailer. If you are in doubt you can raise or lower the jack to see which way the ball is engaging the receiver. Don't disconnect, because the tail could raise the tongue, and then how do you get it down. If you were tail heavy. Lol.
Thanks for the reply. Suspected it was the loading of the trailer. The guys that loaded it with the bobcat did it so fast and left while I was getting other materials.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last thing, I had an intermittent 'grind/clunk' on the left front when starting from stop. Not sure what this can be but plan to take it in. Felt like initial slip and then the front tire grabbed - wasn't wheel hop.

·
Registered
271 Posts
First thing, towing in 4HI? that is a great way to break something, unless the roads were very slick. The truck saying no trailer ws probably nothing as in the photos it appears the trailer has surge brakes, and not using the brake controller.

As for the sway it could be the way it was loaded, to the trailer itself. How did the trailer pull without the load? I have pulled many loads over the years & never had a trailer sway the way you describe.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your tongue also looks really high. You want a level trailer or slightly nose down. I'll bet that the poor loading and light tongue are 100% of your problem. Agree with the above on 4h. Not for pavement unless its snow covered

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
It's always sort of interesting when renting or borrowing someone's trailer. I've seen worn dead spot tires; low or out of balance, wrong size combination etc...
Exactly what ever one else has said...half as* loading job.
Also...don't use your 4Hi unless you are on some bad trails, loose dirt, snow. Not really necessary even in extreme rain. IMO.
Your truck should come stock with sway control....but if that trailer is "wagging" the rear end of your truck it won't help.
When you have your own trailer you can add a sway control to it. Just go slow and steady. No 4Hi on pavement=bad things can happen. You've got plenty of truck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Dont these trucks have 4Auto specifically for pavement use. Mine has it and it acts just like awd according to the torque split screen on the dash

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Yup if its grinding up front you may have grenaded a IWE actuator try cycling your 4x4 in and out a couple times. Yes being a platnium you should have been using 4A not 4Hi. Well really shouldn't have been using it at all for that. #1 Trailer loading isn't great. #2 Did you check the trailers tire air pressures before towing it? #3 Your trailer with a load that large should be level, should be using a drop hitch 2" or more it looks like. #4 These F150's aren't rated to pull more than 5000 lbs without a weight distribution hitch.

Reactions: hansonc

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One last thing, I had an intermittent 'grind/clunk' on the left front when starting from stop. Not sure what this can be but plan to take it in. Felt like initial slip and then the front tire grabbed - wasn't wheel hop.
When are you headed to the dealer for diagnosis, 97G8tr? What's your truck's model year/mileage? I'd like to see what I can do to help quiet the grind as well.

Crystal

·
Registered
578 Posts
My only other thought is tire pressure, especially with a poorly loaded trailer, the sidewall flex will certainly amplify the trailer "not cooperating"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When are you headed to the dealer for diagnosis, 97G8tr? What's your truck's model year/mileage? I'd like to see what I can do to help quiet the grind as well.

Crystal
I need to schedule an appt. I have 7300mi and haven't had the oil changed. Travel schedule is nuts - I've driven 7300 since 7/23 (2months).

On another note, we reloaded the trailer differently and not a problem whatsoever. I drove 60-63mph with no issues.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I need to schedule an appt. I have 7300mi and haven't had the oil changed. Travel schedule is nuts - I've driven 7300 since 7/23 (2months).

On another note, we reloaded the trailer differently and not a problem whatsoever. I drove 60-63mph with no issues.
Thanks for responding, 97G8tr! If you decide to get your dealer involved, send over your details in a PM; I'll escalate you to the customer service manager for your region. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts