F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my normal guy, I bought a F 150 Super Crew with a 2.7 EB thread.

First off, I have been looking for a truck for about 2 years. My last vehicle was a 2002 Jeep Wrangler "TJ" that was a blast to drive but a maintenance nightmare.

I've been driving the wife's old Toyota Camry. To be honest it is a very nice commuter car. It starts every time and the only time it has every left either of us stranded is when the battery died. (same as every other car now days) The wife can leave interior lights on and such so it's not really a fault of the vehicle.

October 11, 2016 I bought a Ford F-150 XLT, 4x2, 302A, Tow package, 3.31 EL axle, Blue Jeans, Dark Gray flow through console, 2.7 EB engine.

I am impressed by this vehicle, I had been dead set on the 5.0 V8 for longevity reasons. I keep vehicles for way longer than the industry average. The last truck I bought new I kept 14 years. So, I want to document the actual use of a 2.7 EB by an average guy who does not want to modify or hot rod a plain jane F150 EB. I won't be running FORSCAN or an engine tune to change the factory vehicle. No, I am heretofore an average guy, in other words, a guy who buys an F150 and drives it for what it is not what it could be.

What I liked about the F150 over the other trucks out there. I liked the way it looked. I liked the flat rear floor. I liked the largest rear floor/legroom area of any other truck offered. I liked the aluminum body, I liked the engineering of the ecoboost 2.7 liter engine, and I liked the MPG of the 2.7 EB engine. This truck is impressive and I think will have a tremendous impact on the future of trucks and engines for the foreseeable future.

What I don't like about the F150, there are too many options (trim lines) for a truck that is the most expensive vehicle that most of us have ever bought. There are trim lines that cost more than what I paid for my first house! (WTF) I stepped in the bed to wipe off the cab roof after a car wash, the bed creaked and popped and I have never had this happen before!!! ( I am 5'10" and about 215lbs)

So far I have had about 21.5MPG overall on the history of the vehicle. I took possession of the truck at 21 miles. I started my test drive with 1.6 miles on the odometer. The get up and go is amazing for the size of an engine that is the same displacement as the base engine of the Toyota Tacoma. Remember it's driving a full size domestic pickup and is capable of towing. Torque comes on low in the RPM band and it moves the full size truck faster than any of the other V8's. I drove ALL the others in this category. I like the F150 better than all for several reasons. Mileage beats them all, ride, comfort, tech etc.. beats the others hands down.

I will update all extra costs that I incur on this vehicle. I will share any problems or issues that I have with this truck, not to bash the manufacturer but to let the average guy what to expect about the new body F150 with the 2.7 babyboost. (my term on the little ecoboost)

513 miles o 10-17-16 and seriously I have enjoyed every stinking mile of this truck. I'm still going through the break in of the engine and at 1000 miles I will do the first oil change. (me, no one else. I have a degree in diesel mechanics and I have turned wrenches for a living before. Oil changes are what I consider the bare minimum of what a man should be able to do on his own)

$33,275 is a truck load (no pun intended) to pay for a truck no matter who makes it. Ford seems to have a serious contender in the F150 2.7EB package. Let's see what's next!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update 1: on the day of purchase I had the windows ceramic tinted. The stealership quoted $495, I paid $90 out the door for the same tint from a local shop. Some things you don't let the dealer do for any reason!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
October 17, 2016

I went to the dealership today and tried to buy a couple of spare keys. I have the key less entry option on the truck and wanted a couple of extra keys. I have done this with every other vehicle I have ever owned. (new or used) Today the service tech told me they couldn't do the plain jane ford key because it might cause an issue with the computer throwing codes. Replacement switchblade keys are $215 to $230. Fail on Ford's part for not providing a spare (you get 2 key fobs only) and FAIL on my part for not thinking far enough ahead to demand that they provide me with at least one additional spare.

Modern vehicles will not run without a proper key. If you lose, or destroy your original and you don't have the one spare Ford provides for you then you are waiting on a tow truck and the local dealership to get you up and running. Not good if you are 500 miles from home and on a Sunday where most dealerships are closed. (This hasn't happened to me but I like to be prepared)

·
Registered
335 Posts
That first time my bed creaked/popped got me the first time as well! But I love my little 2.7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: added about 1/2 quart of oil to bring up the level to full. My truck has the tow package which might explain why it was a little low. (Oil cooler)
I won't track fuel costs during this thread because there are too many variables. So add $4, total extra $94.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-21-16
Added tonneau cover today. Truxsport cover looks nice, fits well, and was easy to install in under 30 minutes.

Total spent now at $384

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-22-16
Added Husky front floor mats, dee zee bed mat to the truck. Total $534

The bed mat is total quality and needed in my opinion for the aluminum bed. It helps cut down road noise as well.
Floor mats are very good and will keep the dirt where it belongs instead of the carpet.
Husky floor mats were $199 at the dealer. I saved $90 at Amazon with free shipping.
($109)

Dee Zee mat is a bargain in my opinion, Way cheaper than a spray in liner. I will have the tail gate done at some point (with LineX) but I am pleased up to this point!
Maybe planning on another 150-200 dollars on accessories but that's it for me. I will debadge the side ecoboost emblems and the F-150 on the tailgate but that's all I intend to do.
Oil change coming up in a couple days.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started to change the oil today but hit a problem, the oil pan plug. The plug has a wing type extension in the center. Is there a specialty tool for this?

By the way, the splash guard is a total PITA to manipulate laying on your back.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I watched that one and the plug is different on my truck. There is no 3/8 square notch. I was looking at the plug and I thought it could be removed by hand but wanted some feed back before yanking on it too hard.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
10-31-16
Changed oil today, 1986 miles. Took a 750 mile road trip this weekend to the farm.
Oil pan plug came out no problem, I used ramps to get under the truck. I did exactly as instructed (youtube vid and manual) and the oil change was uneventful.

Here is what I learned. I used a 5/16 nut driver on my cordless drill for the four bolts holding up the aero/splash shield. (Much easier)
I allowed oil to drain about 20 min and still had a thin thread of oil draining, went to 30 minutes to get it all out.
Took filter off and no drip or spills. Replacement filter and housing go back on without a problem.
Added 5 3/4 quarts of oil and let it set 15 minutes. Cranked it and had oil pressure immediately. I backed off ramps and let it set for an additional 20 min so I could check oil level. It was just under the top Mark and would have taken the rest of the sixth quart.
No leaks at filter or plug after driving for 15 minutes. (Took oil to auto parts store for recycle)

Oil out was dark and smelled more like gas than any other oil I've changed in a NA engine. Filter looked new, like just wet with oil but new. Probably wasn't necessary to change the oil but it made me feel good. 19 for filter, 35 for oil, 8 for the 27mm socket for the oil filter housing. Add $63 to my total. Mobil 1 5-30, purolator filter, jobber brand socket.

Driving a 750 mile road trip: nice and quiet. This truck really likes 72mph. I set cruise and let it go. 24 miles per gallon ranging from 55-85 mph during the trip. I am pleased with this engine 6 speed trans combo, the truck is quiet and feels solid.
Looking good so far. Plan ahead on the filter to save money! I have motorcraft filters coming for about 6 bucks a piece for future oil changes. The socket is a one and done item. Don't spend a lot if you don't have one, cheap will do as there is no torque on the housing to speak of.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So after driving a week I can tell you that I think the factory fill was motorcraft 5W-20.

Feathering the throttle is nowhere as easy as before to maintain economy above the line. I'm getting nowhere near 24mpg like I was just before the drain.
Oil came out very thin when I drained. Who knows,
Anyway, the oil change was easy enough for a driveway change and I will send this next change to Blackstone for analysis. I've used them for my jeep UOA and felt confident that a 5k oci was good for the 4.0 engine.

Average now for driving daily and no towing (so far) stands at 22mpg 2236 miles. Best tank was 93 octane 24.3 and the worst average on a half tank after I got her was 16.1 with lots of turbo use cause it was fun!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Total out of pocket $597. F-150 is cheaper to insure than my Camry. I found this surprising.
Still working on finding out what all the features of this truck can do.
I earlier said I wanted to remove the ecoboost badges on the doors but decided to let them stay. I debadged the tailgate and like the decluttered look much better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A thread without pics is useless. Here is debadged tailgate. I had to leave the Texas edition badge... had to!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update November 10th, 2016

A day early but happy Veterans Day to all that have served our Nation from a greatful deplorable!

Had rain here yesterday and the Truxsport looked like I had started growing a portable lake. I may have to rethink my tonneau cover for winter. It held the water with a little sag but amazingly left the bed dry, I can only imagine if that had been during a freeze what the extra weight would have done to it. I pick up the hard plates tomorrow and will be officially a registered truck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Update: after 1 month 3037 miles, avg mpg for life of engine 22 mpg. Hours on engine: 87, idle 14.

My overall impression of the truck is good. I'm learning to adapt to the truck and the things it does and doesn't do. The 2.7 is growing on me and I have had no problems from the drivetrain. Oil change at just shy of 2K miles and this will be changed at 5K. Depending on my used oil analysis I will adjust my intervals maybe going to 7500 if the oil holds up.
Minimal towing for me, just around the farm when we go to visit on holidays and weekends, mostly a daily driver family truckster. Daily drive is 36 miles one way on freeway with commuter traffic. I should be flashing off any fuel in the oil with my drive. Hopefully after the holidays I can stop putting so many miles on my truck. I really wanted at least two years out of the BTB warranty.
Minor things that bother me. The lighted vanity mirrors not being standard are really a cheap move by Ford in my opinion. And the 8inch dash instrument cluster should be included on the 302A package. All minor gripes but a valid issue for a truck that sells north of 30K!
Asking Santa for some swing out toolboxes and that looks to be my last mod I'm gonna do.

Long term test in progress.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Update: after 1 month 3037 miles, avg mpg for life of engine 22 mpg. Hours on engine: 87, idle 14.

My overall impression of the truck is good. I'm learning to adapt to the truck and the things it does and doesn't do. The 2.7 is growing on me and I have had no problems from the drivetrain. Oil change at just shy of 2K miles and this will be changed at 5K. Depending on my used oil analysis I will adjust my intervals maybe going to 7500 if the oil holds up.
Minimal towing for me, just around the farm when we go to visit on holidays and weekends, mostly a daily driver family truckster. Daily drive is 36 miles one way on freeway with commuter traffic. I should be flashing off any fuel in the oil with my drive. Hopefully after the holidays I can stop putting so many miles on my truck. I really wanted at least two years out of the BTB warranty.
Minor things that bother me. The lighted vanity mirrors not being standard are really a cheap move by Ford in my opinion. And the 8inch dash instrument cluster should be included on the 302A package. All minor gripes but a valid issue for a truck that sells north of 30K!
Asking Santa for some swing out toolboxes and that looks to be my last mod I'm gonna do.

Long term test in progress.
100 percent agree with the 8 inch screen! Such BS for such an expensive truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had an impromptu road trip yesterday for a family errand. Add another 700 miles.
I'm really beginning to appreciate all the areas for storage in the doors and console, well done Ford.

Windy in our area during road trip, speeds up to 80 mph, mostly 70's... 23.7 MPG.
Getting good mileage while trying to hurry, I'm enjoying ecoboost ownership.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy Thanksgiving! (much to be grateful for today)

Update: washed the truck at a carwash yesterday... hard to get the cab dryed off for sure. I haven't had a vehicle this large to take care of since having a company provided 06 Expedition. Lots of real estate to hand wash and I flat ran out of time to wax. Drying is a 3 towel job for sure, and to get the windows dryed off requires some ingenuity. Nice to have an F150 to complain about but I can see how my truck won't be getting washed as often.

1 - 20 of 383 Posts