F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
I'm in the Texas hill country too. I bought my built in September 2016 XLT at Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunfels back in November 2016.
I discovered the TSB after noticing oil smoke coming from my exhaust. It would only sometimes do it after being parked overnight but especially after being parked for a few days. Other than smoke on initial startup the truck ran and drove flawlessly with no loss in power or oil consumption. I have always had my local dealer (different dealer) perform all oil changes between 5K and 7K miles with full synthetic oil. I took it in to my local dealer to be checked out and they ended up putting updated heads on it. It ran flawlessly so I figured all was well. I had a sunroof issue 600 miles later and took it in for that. I also mentioned there was still some light smoke on startup. An oil analysis performed by the dealer showed metal debris present all through the engine and turbos. My local dealer then ended up installing a complete longblock along with 2 new turbos and all oil lines. I now have 1200 miles on the new engine with no issues so far.
I also had the AC issue you described happen to me only once as well... just one time months ago.

On a side note... I had 2 different supercrew XLT 2wd loaner F150's each time mine was in the shop.
The 1st loaner was a 2017 3.5EB 10 speed with 3:31 gear ratio.
The 2nd loaner was a 2017 3.5 non-turbo 6 speed with 3:55 ratio.
I had each truck for several weeks each and put 1500 miles on one and 1700 miles on the other. The 3.5EB with the 10 speed was by far the most powerful AND got the best mileage at 23.5mpg average. The 3.5 non turbo 6 speed wasn't bad power wise once I learned to wind it up a bit and it averaged just over 22mpg for me.
My 2016 302A package XLT 4x4 2.7EB 6 speed 3:55's averages around 20mpg. I have a grill guard and large winch on the front as well as a leveling kit. I am now at 31K miles. The new engine seems no different mpg wise but too soon to tell.

· Registered
429 Posts
What plant was your truck built in? I don't know if that would make a difference since all the engines were built in Lima but I'm trying to gather data points so I can find some commonality between the engines that need replacing and mine. My build date was Sept 2016 and I bought it about 1 month later in October 2016.

As a side note, did they extend your warranty after replacement?
Build date of 9/16, Kansas City plant.

I had 29K miles at time of longblock replacement and I have a 5year/100K bumper to bumper warranty that I paid extra for so it's a moot point for me.
The standard warranty is for 5year/60K miles so if a truck received a new longblock at 59,999 miles would the new engine have a warranty? I don't know... that's a good question.
EDIT... I just called over to my local Ford dealer and asked that question. I was told the new engine would have a 12month/12K mile warranty. So... If a truck had 50K miles and had a new engine installed... the engine warranty would go until 62K miles.

· Registered
429 Posts
I'm a KC build also but just under 22k as of today. Were there any things (other than a little smoke) that caused you any concern?
Nope... smoke issue started around 20K miles but it only did it on start up and only sometimes and only after sitting for more than a day or so. No dash lights, no noises and it ran great with no oil consumption. I put about about 8K miles on it like that in a few months (I drive alot of rural road miles between Kerrville and Johnson City). I really didn't think anything was wrong until the dealer confirmed an issue.
The dealer originally wanted to install a longblock but Ford Mo Co would only authorize for the heads to be done. Of course that turned into a longblock anyway.

· Registered
429 Posts
I’m starting to wonder if stop-start has anything to do with this.

Not paranoid (I think) but what if the anti-drain back that keeps oil out of the pan is pooling oil in the heads causing some type of valve guide failure?
I really doubt that ... on a side note, I disabled my start/stop about a month into owning my truck.
I now have 2500 miles on the new 2.7 engine with no complaints. Maybe it's my imagination but the new engine seems more powerful to me. Gas mileage is about the same if not just a shade better.

· Registered
429 Posts
How did it come to be that the dealer confirmed an issue? Did you take it in for the morning smoke?

I get a lot of knock retard on 93, and now and then audible knock. Otherwise it runs fine, doesn't seem to have the balls everyone raves about. It's not weak though, just doesn't make me say HOLY COW! No codes, no oil consumption. It's just outside the tsb dates. Now that it's cold I get a minute of grey smoke (which I'm certain is normal-running rich on start up), and then thick white smoke for a few miles (which I'm certain is also normal, and just condensation from hot exhaust gases through cold pipes in cold weather). So I'm really stumped as nothing is "wrong", but something isn't "right".
Yes, I took it into the dealer because of the morning smoke issue. They kept it overnight and that's when they saw it too. After new heads and continued smoke, an oil analysis done by the dealer showed metal all through the engine and turbos.
None of my 2.7EB's or the 3.5EB or the 3.5 non turbo that I have driven have ever spark knocked or clattered or have had any noticeable loss in power.
I am thinking that the service techs that installed my new engine may have "adjusted" something because I swear it has more oomph than the 2017 3.5EB that I was loaned and I know that truck was more spirited than mine was before.

· Registered
429 Posts
Back from a milestone vacation for the family. 20 yr anniversary and the first teenage birthday for our daughter.
Took a cruise out of Galveston on Carnival. It was awesome!
Driving through Houston was an adventure. Speed limits shouldn’t be posted. If you drive the speed limit you will be run over in spectacular fashion.
Truck ran well, and the drive was uneventful. I missed out on the Texas snow event, but caught the storm in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday coming back to Galveston. Biggest seas I have ever sailed, 21 feet. All the outside decks were closed. Industrial grade puke on almost all the decks. I must have looked insane to some folks because I enjoyed it!
Any word back from neecoboost on his engine?
Ok, that's a coincidence... I'm Sailing out on the Valor soon. lol

· Registered
429 Posts
Just got off a cruise from the Valor. Good trip other than one of the tour busses flipping over while we were on an excursion near Costa Maya.
I haven't had any issues with my doors locks so far. It got down into the mid 20's here recently.

· Registered
429 Posts
I installed a 2" leveling kit about a week after I bought my truck mainly because I am running a grill guard and winch. It also took me about 2 hours. Definitely research the install before starting in on it.
It was 14 degrees in Kerrville this morning. I didn't even try the washer because I don't have winter fluid in the reservoir.

· Registered
429 Posts
My truck was covered with a 1/4" layer of ice this morning. I had to break the ice to get my doors open but my locks worked just fine. I could hear my washer motor working but no fluid would come out probably due to having summer formula in the tank.

· Registered
429 Posts
I routinely get 25 on the highway when going 75 mph. I think it’s the 3.31 rear end and 2wd. I have no complaints.
Yea, I'm getting around 20mpg on the hwy at 75mph. Same truck and engine but I have 3:55's, 275/55R20's, 4wd w/ leveling kit and a large wind catcher up front.

· Registered
429 Posts
My 2016 XLT also has the 302a package. I'm coming up on 60K miles. (engine was replaced at 27K)
I disabled the a.s.s. about 10 days into ownership... I pulled the dash cover and jumpered the white / purple wires on the back of the switch. Best mod ever!
I can get the tranny temperature reading in digital form from my dash center but not my engine temperature... that bugs me.
I use the sliding rear window almost every morning or in cool weather. I crack it open about an inch and put the dash to fresh air. I also crack it open whenever I open the moon roof to eliminate wind buffering.
I have driven and towed with both the 6 and 10 speed and I actually prefer the feel of the 6 speed.
Overall, I am super happy with my 2016 F150.

· Registered
429 Posts
Just got back from a 560 mile round trip in my truck. Galveston and back after a little family vacay on the Breeze. (Highly recommend)
Truck was loaded with around 1000lbs of cargo including luggage and people. Extensive traffic in Houston and Galveston meant quite a bit of creeping and idle time.
Final number for entire trip... 25.6 mpg. (Hand calculated) Dash showed 26.9 mpg.
Premium 93 octane, tires at 38 psi, DTE showed 546 when I left home. I filled up before parking for the week, but I think I could have made the round trip on one tank.

Long term updates continue...
Nice! My wife and I have been out on the Valor twice in the last 8 months. We really liked Belize except for the wait to get off the ship and onto the shuttle boat. The Lido deck is always so chaotic! We are considering going Royal Caribbean next time around just to see the difference.

· Registered
429 Posts
Hmmm... I'm curious how these heavier/taller tires may change your gas mileage? Also, is your speedometer still pretty accurate with the now taller tires?
I'm now at 60K miles and will be in the market for new tires soon as well.

· Registered
429 Posts
I have lost about 1 mpg so far. I’ve been surprised by this. I know they are heavier and it’s causing me to go back to hand calculation for mileage.
Speedometer is off by almost 2 mph over 65, I use a speed app using gps.
I am wanting to go from 275/55R20's to 275/60 or 275/65 but I don't want it to affect my speedo. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

Are you calculating the fuel economy with the odometer error corrected?
That's something to consider as well but then again, it's a pretty small error.

· Registered
429 Posts
I was looking at new trucks recently but ended up deciding to stick with my 2016 with it's 2.7 & 6spd. I have driven several loaner 10 speed F150s over several thousand miles and I can honestly say that I prefer the feel of the 6 speed. My only reason for thinking about trading was because I am worried about the long term durability of my ecoboost. I am over 60K miles now but have an extended warranty up to 100K. No complaints so far but I drive lots of rural highway miles and I hope this thing can go 250K-300K miles without a major issue.

· Registered
429 Posts
BTW... I also put on a new set of tires recently. I ended up going with the factory sized 275/55R20 in a P rated all-terrain. They weigh 5 more pounds over the stock wranglers at 45lbs each. So far my gas mileage seems to be the same. These tires are 117 rated as well so they can carry a bit more weight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts