F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10,483 Posts
Oh yeah. I know it's not "good" for sure. Not to hijack the op's thread, as I've been round and round this forum about my issues and have come up with nothing, but I've gotten every opinion from "that's normal for an ecoboost", to "Don't even drive it to work tomorrow, it may not make it."

The latter was 15000 miles ago. Lol. It seems plausible to me that excessive oil/fuel/whatever this is being drawn into the cylinders under boost could defeat the purpose that direct injection serves. Pulling combustible liquids in when it isn't planning for it. A catch can didn't fix it, so I'm all out of ideas. I'm not spending $400+ on a different style can either. I compression tested 1,4,5,6 and all were 160-165 psi warm. I don't know what spec is but they were all nearly identical. No leak down test though, I don't have the equipment.

Other than this it's a great truck. I get great fuel mileage. I might get a ping now and then that I hear. I love zipping through traffic in sport mode.

My oil level doesn't drop a noticeable amount within my 5000 mile interval. Perhaps it builds up in the charge pipes to look like more than it really is.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I don't see how that is not normal. the amount of crap the catch cans come up with on these trucks is astounding. And I seriously doubt the catch can is 100% efficient, otherwise, what would explain the massive variation between winter and summer catch can volumes. In the summer I can go several thousand miles without draining but in the winter I cant even make 1000. That cold winter air just helps condense out the blow by gases.

The intercooler is probably a super efficient catch can to. You have nice cold air blowing over a fairly efficient heat exchanger, its probably going to condense out a large portion of any gases that makes it past the catch can. And it you dont have one its probably catching almost everything the engine spits out. Just based on the volume that comes out of my can every 1000 miles, I cant imagine why the intercooler wouldnt be constantly full of crap.

· Registered
10,483 Posts
Im tryimg the pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 next time around. The Euro oils are a bit stouter.

Reactions: Tdog02

· Registered
10,483 Posts
They have a minimum threshold required for HTHS. That and NOACK are what I try to look at when picking the oil. The Euro oils are made to a different standard, one that protects the engine longer not the CAFE number of the manufacturer.
yeah exactly. I think a minimum HTHS of 3.5 for a Euro 5W-30?

Finding the NOACK is impossible at this point. No one is publishing them.

Reactions: Tdog02

· Registered
10,483 Posts
I've owned both and the thing that sticks out in my mind is that the 2.7 made like 90% of its max torque at an unbelievable 1800rpms. That's just insane compared to anything I had ever owned that didn't burn diesel.
The 3.5 I think matches it at around 2400?
The 1st gen 3.5 they say makes 90% from 1700 to 5000.

I've never heard such a quote about the 2nd/3rd gen but I would think it might be similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts