F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

361 - 380 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Well, not much to report. I drive for about thirty minutes once a week to keep everything charged and working. This stay at home stuff is hard on the working man. Stay safe!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Oil change at 74655, Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Motorcraft FL2062. There has been a filter redesign and it looks a little different, sorry I didn't take a pic but the black end caps on the 2.7 cartridge filter are gone. Filter still looks basically the same. I also changed the cabin filter (FP-79) and engine filter (Wix 73842) this time.

Against all statements previously, I used forscan to change a few things. I added: hill decent button and activated it, changed lane change to 5 blinks, added climate controls to center screen, eliminated the door dings when open, and activated OEM trailer brake controller (still waiting on the part to come it but when it does it will be automatically active. Forscan is stupid simple to use to activate options that only come with a higher price tag. If you have the harness connections why not?

Long-term updates continue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there, I am looking at purchasing a truck here in the near future. I've narrowed it down between an F150, either 2.7 or 5.0 or a Tundra. After having your truck this long would you recommend the 2.7? do you consider it reliable?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,618 Posts
Hello there, I am looking at purchasing a truck here in the near future. I've narrowed it down between an F150, either 2.7 or 5.0 or a Tundra. After having your truck this long would you recommend the 2.7? do you consider it reliable?
Welcome to the forum ?
I know the question isn't directed at me but I can tell you from being on forums like this one since before the 2.7 Eco came out, it is probably going to end up being the most reliable of all the 12th and 13th generation Ford F150 engines. It will certainly use alot less gas than the V8's while doing the same work.

Reactions: Tdog02

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum ?
I know the question isn't directed at me but I can tell you from being on forums like this one since before the 2.7 Eco came out, it is probably going to end up being the most reliable of all the 12th and 13th generation Ford F150 engines. It will certainly use alot less gas than the V8's while doing the same work.
I'm pretty sure it already has proven to be the most reliable F150 motor.
Honestly, I don't even think it's close.
That motor is gem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
I have been out of town for a bit, trying to have a little fun in spite of all the rona mess. Took the family to Colorado for some hiking and white-water rafting. Truck performed flawlessly. While in the mountains I was routinely getting 25 mpg on 91 octane, even driving all over the place. Round trip was 2100 miles give or take. I am still impressed with my 2.7 choice.

This is from Ouray on the 550 that winds through the Mountains to Silverton. They call it the million dollar highway. It is a beautiful and white knuckle drive. It will get your attention for sure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Oil change at 79775, Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Motorcraft FL-2062-A

This is the new filter I was talking about. It looks the same with no plastic end caps. This is my first one with just over 5 thousand miles. Second one is in now.

Long term updates continue...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Well I am approaching 80,000 miles with only one problem that isn't really engine related. I needed a new alternator and battery. The alternator just failed, it happens to all brands. The 2.7 has been a real surprise as to how strong it is in the F150. I have not wanted or needed more power from it ever. I change the oil as close to every 5 thousand miles as I can and handle the routine maintenance myself. Oil changes are easy. Spark plugs are easy, fluid changes are easy and I will be looking at front brakes soon.

The thing that impressed me about the 2.7 was how similar in engine block construction it was to the 6.7 Powerstroke. I have towed to my rating and still felt like there was nothing behind me. I don't tow often and this truck was bought to be the main family ride and my daily driver. It is large and comfortable and holds all our gear with room to spare. Long stretches on the road are easy and I get 24-25 mpg on the highway even pushing it up to 75mph. I think Ford has done it right with the 2.7 ecoboost, and because I have a 16 it has the 6 speed transmission. No major complaints and I will continue to drive this one for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My fear is Ford will decide the 2.7 is plenty for the F150 and we will need to move up to F250 for heavier towing.

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
Other than the the run of noisy wastegates and the ridiculous faulty cam phasers, the current 3.5 is both amazingly popular and close to being sorted.

I could be wrong of course, but I think Ford considers the F150 Ecoboost 3.5 as a big hit.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Modinstrator
2,694 Posts
Other than the the run of noisy wastegates and the ridiculous faulty cam phasers, the current 3.5 is both amazingly popular and close to being sorted.

I could be wrong of course, but I think Ford considers the F150 Ecoboost 3.5 as a big hit.

Agreed and of course that’s the engine I think they should continue with or a higher HP/Torque version of it. It just seems to me that with the exception of the 7.3 Godzilla most things Ford has done recently has been smaller, more tightly wound albeit higher HP very efficient engines. I can see them doing the same in the F150 line as they march to a future of an all electric line up. I’ll leave now before I’m booed off of the stage. :)

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
Agreed and of course that’s the engine I think they should continue with or a higher HP version of it. It just seems to me that with the exception of the 7.3 Godzilla most things Ford has done recently has been smaller, more tightly wound albeit higher HP very efficient engines. I can see them doing the same in the F150 line as they march to a future of an all electric line up. I’ll leave now before I’m booed off of the stage. :)
You brought up an interesting point that I left out of my consideration.

If the near furture really is a hybrid based drivetrain, a smaller Ecoboost could easily match the current 3.5 output. And be more efficient.

Not less expensive though.

So no, I'm not going to boo you off the stage. Lol

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You brought up an interesting point that I left out of my consideration.

If the near furture really is a hybrid based drivetrain, a smaller Ecoboost could easily match the current 3.5 output. And be more efficient.

Not less expensive though.

So no, I'm not going to boo you off the stage. Lol

If you look at Ford’s other offerings, they have a hybrid Ecoboost Powertrain available on the Lincoln Aviator platform that could be tweaked for an F-150 application and be a real powerhouse. It is a 3.0l twin turbo hybrid system that puts down an impressive 494 horsepower and 630 lb-ft of torque to all 4 wheels. That would be an attractive option in the current lineup of F-150 engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
But nannied to death the way they are, there will never be anything close to those numbers to the wheels.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
I added Bilstein 5100's on the rear at just after 80,000 miles. Big difference on rough roads, much better handling. I will be doing the fronts soon because of the improvement. Really a quality product. Very happy with the improvement of just changing shocks. Did it in my driveway. Not as easy as it used to be for me, but got it done in about 45 minutes with just hand tools.

·
Registered
2018 2.7L STX 4x4 Screw
6 Posts
Man, I just read this whole thread in one sitting! It really eased my conscience with purchasing a 2018 2.7L EcoBoost. I came from a 1995 4.9L inline six with manual everything and I have nothing but good things to say about it, I am extremely impressed. I am a fan of keeping things stock. I will probably change the headlights and tail lights out to something better eventually and maybe get a different decal on the sides and tailgate. The thing you have me thinking about the most is running premium gas. I have had my truck for a couple months and have been ecstatic about the gas mileage compared to my 95, which makes total sense. I have been hesitant because I don't really speed much but I think I will run a few tanks of premium and see if it makes a difference for me. I pulled 23MPG in Ecomode on the highway to my farm (strong head wind) and I usually run about 19MPG in the city. The lowest I got was 17MPG on the Turnpike here in Oklahoma because I kept having to slow down and speed up to meet traffic needs. I really appreciate this write up, the details, and simplicity. Thank you for showing what a typical owner can expect, cost wise especially, from this truck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
It was my point of making a thread to highlight the truck, not modding it endlessly. (which I have done a few things) In October 2020 I will have had my truck for 4 years. I don't hesitate to tackle any project or load my family up for a trip. The trip to Colorado was just breath taking, and we routinely take weekend road trips 300-600 miles without issues. Its been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I plan to use this one for as long as possible.

Just keep up with your regular maintenance and 5 thousand mile oil changes and you should get great service out of your new truck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Time for an oil change. Out Edge 5w-30, in Magnatec 5w-30.

In case you are wondering about the new version of the oil filter, no need to worry cause it works just fine.
I’ll add a pic.

long term updates continue, coming up on 4 years since I bought her.

361 - 380 of 383 Posts