F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
381 - 400 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
I've almost made it to the end of the useful life of this thread. If long term updates are judged by long term assessments and results then I've given you all the info that I can.

As of today I've had my F150 exactly 4 years. Two issues that were needed for repair/replacement happened during this time. Some time ago I needed a new windshield due to a rock strike and immediate crack, and I needed a new alternator and battery a little over a year ago. The truck left me stranded with my family at night about 90 miles from home. I was upset and also curious as to what happened. Just routine? normal issue? Or was it overuse of the 400 watt power inverter? It was most likely the over use of the power inverter by my daughter who was plugging her phone wall charger into the outlet instead of using the cigar plug that I put back there for her. When I say over use I mean she would leave it plugged in at all times ( I should have checked). I'm still looking into that but needless to say we don't use the inverter unless there is no other option.

I've had routine oil changes at about 5 thousand mile intervals, along with regular air filter (and cabin air filter) changes. I've changed my plugs once and had to buy a set of tires. So if you look at repair maintenance costs, tires and oil, spark plugs and filter changes... I'm right at $3,300 extra out of pocket. My fuel mileage is rounded down to 21 mpg over 85,000 miles. Smiles per gallon is off the chart. That is not to say I don't have a few issues with the truck, like the drivers seat pan popping, horrible halogen headlights, cracked fog light housing due to heat build up, sometimes glitchy SYNC3 system, unbelievably thin and easy to chip paint, WORTHLESS FORD LUG NUTS, and crappy shocks, just to name a few aggravating things, but overall this has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I have upgraded and fixed the most glaring problems. My neighbor backed into me as I was driving by his house. Minor damage but it resulted in over 4 grand in repairs. (not my fault so no out of pocket to me) I found it hard to believe it could even cost that much but it most certainly did.

I have truly enjoyed the truck, so much that I am going to keep it and continue to my goal of 300,000 miles. I have avoided and will continue to avoid the itch to tune the 2.7 ecoboost. As a former hot rod enthusiast I really want to see how much power I can make with the 2.7 while still using it as a daily driver, but that wouldn't be a fair test of Ford's engineering and my quest for 300,000 miles. I will still post here from time to time just to have a documented page of what I have done with my truck. But this should cover anyone's questions on the average guy using a F150 with a 2.7 ecoboost can expect during normal usage. It's a solid truck and continues to impress me with the power and useful features that I purchased back in 2016 on a 302a XLT Supercrew cab.

Still a happy Ford owner! PS, a big thanks for F150ECOBOOST.NET for the forum that we have here, it's awesome!

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,100 Posts
It's an awesome thread.
The defacto 2.7 thread, in my opinion.

Did you ever think?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tdog02

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hope you continue on with this thread as I have really enjoyed following it. I purchased my 2016 f150 with the 2.7engine in Feb. of 2017. My main problem with it has been the notorious oil pan leak which was replaced 3 times and still leaks so just living with it. At 26,000 miles I had to have the pump on the side of the transmission replaced. I also had to have update to my screen as it went blank at times right after factory warranty was up. I have never been happy with the view from the rear view camera at night as it is terrible. I only have 38,000 miles on my truck now and really like it and have always been amazed at the power the little engine makes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
I added a Dee Zee tailgate shock for $23. I had been planning to do the OEM option but I had placed the tailgate seal on and would have to remove it and buy another. Pretty happy with the Dee Zee and it was an easy install, like less than 10 minutes to put it on.

88,275 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Time for an oil change 89,900.8
Engine Hours 2466
Engine Idle Hours 369

This time I tried something different. I am still using the Motorcraft filter, but I switched to Castrol 0W-40. I will see if I have any change in MPG's but I suspect I won't be able to tell a difference.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,807 Posts
Time for an oil change 89,900.8
Engine Hours 2466
Engine Idle Hours 369

This time I tried something different. I am still using the Motorcraft filter, but I switched to Castrol 0W-40. I will see if I have any change in MPG's but I suspect I won't be able to tell a difference.
Can get by with a little heavier oil down there. Gets down to 15 or below here a few nights of the winter. We have over 100 often in Summer tho so can't help but think how thin that thin 5-30 is at those times.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
221 Posts
I'm using 5w40 in my 2.7L. It rarely gets below freezing here in the Houston area so no need for the 0w version. Haven't seen any negatives using the heavier oil nor a change in MPG.
30 years ago a coworker had a subscription to the SAE Journal. I did a lot of reading. That us where I first heard of the outrageous research (and new understanding) of how plain bearings operate, and could last longer and less friction with 20 weight oil. Article was co-written by Ford and GM engineers.

Today one might observe our engines were redesigned for 20 weight, spec was not just changed by management edict for MPG. Or for 30 weight. I would not presume to know better than Ford when 5W-30 is specified.

Also read how 48V or 60V electrical systems were coming Real Soon Now. Clearly not happened.

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
Why did Ford suddenly without explanation change the spec from 5-20, which came in the truck when we purchased it, to 5-30?

I agree that Ford knows their own products and engineering, but that change speaks volumes in so many different ways.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The rumor is they changed the spec due to fuel dillution in the early years. But I’m curious if they maybe changed the spec to hit the 10,000 oil change Interval.

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
The rumor is they changed the spec due to fuel dillution in the early years. But I’m curious if they maybe changed the spec to hit the 10,000 oil change Interval.
I'm only guessing, but I believe it must have been a very difficult decision in the conference room at Ford. Uncomfortable even. At the very least it's egg on some groups face?

I also don't think it is as simple as one single aspect of whatever data they were responding to. Fuel dilution probably was one aspect for sure, but only one.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·

Changed PCV valve on passenger side. It was a little oily but still functioning normally, it may have lasted the life of the engine but I changed it anyway. Cleaned JLT 3.0 catch can. Cheap maintenance on a strong running 2.7 ecoboost.

I already have plugs and boots ready for replacement when I hit 100k miles.

Long term updates continue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 · (Edited)
Time for an oil change.

95834, oil was dark and filter looked normal.

I used the euro 5w30 Edge this time, last time I used Edge 0w40 and it performed as expected. No leaks, oil pan dry outside, just a little more in the catch can than normal but it was just black, not milky so that’s good.

long term reports continue because truck prices are just stupid right now. (And I’m almost paid off)

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Im tryimg the pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 next time around. The Euro oils are a bit stouter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Im tryimg the pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 next time around. The Euro oils are a bit stouter.
They have a minimum threshold required for HTHS. That and NOACK are what I try to look at when picking the oil. The Euro oils are made to a different standard, one that protects the engine longer not the CAFE number of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
I added a new set of tires on 4-5-21. The Duelers were a great tire on the road but I needed something with a little more grip driving across the pastures at the farm.

I settled on Cooper AT3 4S to give the best compromise on highway and mild off road. They are a decent looking tire and have not really been any louder than the highway tire it replaced. Apparently I posted this on another thread by accident, getting harder to navigate sites on my phone with the aging mark 1 eyeballs.

long term updates continue...

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
They have a minimum threshold required for HTHS. That and NOACK are what I try to look at when picking the oil. The Euro oils are made to a different standard, one that protects the engine longer not the CAFE number of the manufacturer.
yeah exactly. I think a minimum HTHS of 3.5 for a Euro 5W-30?

Finding the NOACK is impossible at this point. No one is publishing them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
yeah exactly. I think a minimum HTHS of 3.5 for a Euro 5W-30?

Finding the NOACK is impossible at this point. No one is publishing them.
True, have guess sometimes on NOACK and base it off of previously published numbers. Makes you wonder why they stopped listing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
True, have guess sometimes on NOACK and base it off of previously published numbers. Makes you wonder why they stopped listing it.

Been following this thread on and of and enjoyed it all. I’m the original owner on a 2014 SCrew Platinum 2x4 3.5L w/3.13 rear and 52k miles on clock.
Change oil at or near every 5k miles with Mobil 1 5x30 Syn and MC filter. Basic repairs/replaced brakes , rotors tires w/Michelin Defenders 285x45x22 mounted on the Limited 22” wheels, battery, wipers etc. Only one warranty issue with front passenger shock leaking.
I live in S Florida and drive up and down the state. Love my F150 and as was stated the new ones go for stupid money. Keeping mine for as long as possible.
Again great thread

381 - 400 of 425 Posts